• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Car Show

bob_m

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/zeus_m/car show/?action=view&current=2.jpg

My brother in law, Gary, was scheduled to be in Knoxville Iowa for his father's induction into the Sprint Car Hall of fame on the same day as the Los Angeles Concours De Elegans car show. Gary had 2 cars entered and I was asked to drive the trailer for one of them. The cars are the 1938 indy race car (with original paint behind the front cowl) and a track T hot rod that was crafted in 1953. My dad was there also with his blue Morgan

I rode down I-5 from Portland to Eugene then cut through the lush coastal mountains to the Oregon coast. I spent the first night camping in the redwoods near Avenue of the Giants. I took the cut off from 101 to Hwy 1 to Fort Bragg, but then ran through the Anderson Valley back to 101 at Cloverdale. Continued on 101 through San Francisco and got a room in Atascadero. From Santa Maria went on 166 through desert mountains (condor country) to Hwy 33 into Ojai. After long periods of straight line riding I really blew my line when I first got into the twisties. It took me a while to reestablish a rhythm and comfort after that lapse of concentration. from there into Santa Paula and then into LA.

The morning of the car show Universal Studios caught on fire just below my sister's house.

The car show was splendid.

Rather than just burn home on I-5 I took Hwy 33 parallel to the freeway through the oil fields and ag fields of the southern valley. I stopped to take a picture of a crazy quilt hillside where the San Andreas Fault twisted the strata that poked through the valley floor and saw a pair of coyotes with one bouncing pup fleeing in the distance. When I continued I saw the other two pups alone and disoriented by the side of the road.

From Red Bluff I took 36 to Hayfork, then stopped at a friend's house in Weaverville. Continued up Hwy 3 through the Trinity Alps to Yreka and then blasted up I-5 home.

Great photos! Love the Rothmans 959 Gruppe B. I think there are only two - that one, and one in Stuttgart in the Porsche museum.

I want a Whizzer. I think there's a place close to me that sells them, and will motorize about any bicycle.

hi, nice pix! and story.

that's a sweet part of the country. never been out that way but have a better idea of it, thanks to your post.

nice to see a guy out on an older bike, too.
i have an 88 R100RT...which of your bikes is in the photos?

tom

Thanks for the kind words

hi
i have an 88 R100RT...which of your bikes is in the photos?
tom
Hi Tom

Welcome to the Forum

I ride that black 1982 R100RS. It is a good bike.

A funny story about that Whizzer: Rich, the restorer, mainly does cars. He has hot rods, and sprint cars and all kinds of stuff. He actually won his class at the car show in the photos with an old 3/4 midget that had been raced by Jeff Gordon. Anyway he restores bikes (bicycles & motorized bicycles) because they are easy. He took one of the Whizzers to a local LA motorcycle show where custom Harleys were the main attraction. The Whizzer won "People's Choice" and the Harley guys were pissed. That must have felt great! :stick

He took one of the Whizzers to a local LA motorcycle show where custom Harleys were the main attraction. The Whizzer won "People's Choice" and the Harley guys were pissed. That must have felt great! :stick

Cool Pictures

I have a very similar story about my RD400. I took it to the first show I had been to here in Las Cruces and it was almost all Harleys and I got first place in Street Cruiser because they had no class for me . :doh

DSCN4979-700.jpg

DSCN4983-700.jpg

DSCN4984-700.jpg

Mike

Back