• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1300 GT Shutting Down

Dealers are handling the problem under warranty. The current interim fix issued by BMW is to clean the throttle bodies of any deposits, then provide a fuel additive at fill-up intervals. I had my 1300GT done and am now using the fuel additive as recommended. So far no recurrences of the problem. BMW is supposedly working on a permanent fix, to be available soon...stay tuned.

K Shutdown

BMW should provide the additive or a allowance for this product until they come up with a cure? I used to run a fuel additive/ octane boost in racing boats and the expense of this additive was a substantial amount of money over the course of time. Perhaps if BMW had to shoulder this cost, they would come up with a solution a bit sooner??? Something to think about considering they appear to be burdoning the purchaser of thier bikes with this expense.

The requirements of the Lemon Law very from state to state however if I recall correctly, the issue has to have three documented service repairs, not two. Also, you must well document all conversations with your service personel and start with your adviser, then to the manager and if possible, to the owner of the dealer. If all else fails, you will need to track down the BMW Zone rep. His number should be in the back of your owners manual. Only after having the issue serviced three times and have spoke to all personel at the dealer, I would place the call to BMW NA.
Maintain a professional tone and do not lose your cool. A zone rep will make arrangements to meet with you and the dealer personel to discuss further options. The lemon law is there to protect the consumer however without documentation and a professional attitude, you will find this is a very long road.

I would try to get the dealer to fix the problem however if BMW is going to handle this shutting down issue like they have the rear drive failures, then they deserve what they have coming. Fact is, it appears BMW is the only one stating the ethynol content in the fuel is reaping havoc with thier bikes, Ducati, Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha, MV Agusta, Suzuki or the many other manufactures are not having these problems to date, nor are the BMW automobiles. :buds

In California if the vehicle has had two problems that are considered "life threatening" it is eligible for lemon status. Stalling does qualify according to a local lemon law atty. Or a "reasonable" amount of times to fix other issues. case law has deemed this to be four times. On my bike I called BMW Motorcycles NA and told them about the issues my bike was having. I was very polite and calm. THEY followed up with the dealer and my claim has been elevated to the next level.

It's not an adversarial process. Their customer service people are fantastic. The dealer has nothing to do with the lemon law and you're not making an end run around them by going straight to BMW. In fact, if you continue to take it to the dealer time and time again they may not even notify BMW of the specific issue with your bike. They need to know. We should notify them.

I am hoping that BMW NA steps up to the plate and provides the customer support and a resolution to this problem quickly. I dont understand how a company that has so many innovative minds and networks as BMW has gets all crossed when issues such as these become apparent.

I can assure you if N8 or one of the WSB's were experiencing shut down issues, it would be corrected before the next race or lap! Seems efforts are lacking when it comes to providing support to the very people that are finacially supporting this company with purchasing thier products.

Time will tell.:stick

I can assure you if N8 or one of the WSB's were experiencing shut down issues, it would be corrected before the next race or lap!

To be fair one thing is a single focus specific bike, the other is a fleet of engines out there in multitude of applications, world wide.

From several other forums including ones in Europe, BMW is addressing the issue, just have not root caused it.

The discussions have been valid, i think they will resolve this and do stand behind their product.

2 examples - the "extended" final drive support, the other an official 10 year warranty on the High Pressure Fuel Pumps on their N54 engines (the twin turbo).

I got a GT and I have a 335, they both work, the GT does on occasion stall but not often, and the 335 is running fine.

YMMV :lurk

BMW should provide the additive or a allowance for this product until they come up with a cure? I used to run a fuel additive/ octane boost in racing boats and the expense of this additive was a substantial amount of money over the course of time. Perhaps if BMW had to shoulder this cost, they would come up with a solution a bit sooner??? Something to think about considering they appear to be burdoning the purchaser of thier bikes with this expense.

Every state has its own version of lemon law. In Texas the manufacturer and dealer are required to fix the defect, not treat the symptom. You are under no obligation to buy gas treatment to qualify for redress.

I think its time BMW took a good look at quality control. Or perhaps, they should do a little more testing before putting a new product on the road.

Easy :lurk

My dealer did supply the fuel additive as part of the warranty work to clean and adjust the throttle bodies...They didn't supply BMW-sourced fuel additive, saying they had not received it yet. Rather, they supplied "StarTron" which is evidently in common use in the marine industry to combat the same issue. So far its worked great. I just put it in 1 oz. bottles and carry a couple with me so when I do a full fill-up, I add a bottle of additive. No fuss, no muss...

engine shut down

I bought my 09 K1300S in April and had this engine shut off happen to me the day I rode it home from the dealer at one mile away and again at home 22 miles from the dealer. I thought maybe it was just me getting used to the feel of the clutch. I have noticed that it happens more when going from mid to high RPM's to 0, (also this happens to me more in colder weather) I have since learned to use slight engine breaking when when down shifting at least from in a traffic situation to avoid any safety issues. Good to hear I'm not the only one!

I bought my 09 K1300S in April and had this engine shut off happen to me the day I rode it home from the dealer at one mile away and again at home 22 miles from the dealer. I thought maybe it was just me getting used to the feel of the clutch. I have noticed that it happens more when going from mid to high RPM's to 0, (also this happens to me more in colder weather) I have since learned to use slight engine breaking when when down shifting at least from in a traffic situation to avoid any safety issues. Good to hear I'm not the only one!

First of all welcome to the forum!

Haven't ridden the bike in the cold yet - so far the low 40"s and have not noticed any performance difference but will keep my on mine.

Check in often and don't forget to post a picture of your bike.

BMW recall

Sorry to hear yet another victim of the suspicious engine shut down issue. I find it hard to believe that when the dealerships are putting the bikes together and giving them a shakedown run that they arent having any issues.

Perhaps they are experiencing problems but they dont want to have service bays filled with unfixed 2009 1300's?

BMW should put a hold on selling any 13's until this issue is corrected. Someone is going to get injured dealing with this issue.

1st BMW and it stalls on every ride now

I bought my 1st ever BMW this summer (K 1300 GT) and it is stalling on every ride now. Everyone's inputs on this forum have really helped me understand the severity of the issue. I got my bike in July and in August the dealer told me that bad gas was causing the problem. "Try some other gas and let us know." I now realize they just pushed me off. I called last week after the bike stalled 4 times on a 350 mile ride with 2 of the stalls being in places I really did not want to be restarting the engine (safety issue if you ask me). It's bad enough having to worry about all the distracted drivers on the road but now I have to add to this the fact that I can't trust my bike to keep running. For $22k, this is way out of line. I'm following the advice here and calling in the Lemon Law process tomorrow to BMW NA. A motorcycle that randomly stalls when you pull in the clutch is a lemon if you ask me (and a real safety hazard). I wonder if the "just try some different gas" counts as the 1st repair attempt. I'm getting the throttle body cleaned on the 28th so maybe that can be the 2nd. The problem here for BMW is that poor reliability will destroy their premium pricing capability and they will soon have to lower their prices to compensate for the transition risk. Fooled me once, shame on you BMW. Fool me twice, shame on me. Good luck to all the other riders inflected with this design flaw. Keep your right thumb on the little red rocker switch when you pull the clutch. 

Take the bike back to them and let them try some different gas. By now BMW is fully aware of this problem, they are just trying to buy time by telling people to buy different gas or get thier throttle bodies cleaned. I have driven vehicles, both cars and bikes to over 100K miles without cleaning the throttle bodies and never had issues. This is rediculas.

Take the bike back to them and let them try some different gas. By now BMW is fully aware of this problem, they are just trying to buy time by telling people to buy different gas or get thier throttle bodies cleaned. I have driven vehicles, both cars and bikes to over 100K miles without cleaning the throttle bodies and never had issues. This is rediculas.

+1... These bike are not running on primitive fuels and old drippy carburetors that should need constant adjustment. I feel that BMW has been very responsive to my Lemon Law claim.. so far. They are supposed to get back to me on Fri or early next week with their first proposal for a solution on my bike.

I feel that if pressure is applied to BMW NA and reports of the stalls are made to NHTSA there will be enough internal and external pressure to get this dangerous problem addressed.

And for the record, I'm not a malcontent that has an axe to grind with BMW. I love the company and it's products. I currently own three of their cars and am on my third motorcycle. I want them to successfully solve a serious problem.

I agree. They have shown initial responsiveness to the problem by issuing the interim fix. That means they have recognized the problem and have officially committed to fixing it. I've had one warranty appointment on the stalling and now with another 2k miles on the bike, the stalling is starting to reappear. I'm keeping careful records so I can go through the FL Lemon Law process, if necessary. I hope not, as I love the bike and also would like to see BMW permanently resolve the issue.

My dealer did supply the fuel additive as part of the warranty work to clean and adjust the throttle bodies...They didn't supply BMW-sourced fuel additive, saying they had not received it yet. Rather, they supplied "StarTron" which is evidently in common use in the marine industry to combat the same issue. So far its worked great. I just put it in 1 oz. bottles and carry a couple with me so when I do a full fill-up, I add a bottle of additive. No fuss, no muss...

Volvo had this problem with their gas marine engines back in '04. Eventually, IIRC, they remapped the computer. One of my inexperienced customers hit four boats while trying to dock his new 36 footer when the port engine kept shutting down. I hope we don't start hearing about riders being killed or injured because of this problem.

Tom

I think this is everyones fear Tom. I had problems with a 2005 K1200S that BMW couldnt fix which forced me to sell the bike and take a bath on it. I do like thier other products and hope to God that they provide a solution fast however between the unresolved K1200S problems I had, the reacurring rear drive failures and now this, I am starting to loose faith in thier motorcycle product line. Thier cars on the other hand have provided me many years of non-irritating enjoyable miles and will continue to do so.

I agree. They have shown initial responsiveness to the problem by issuing the interim fix. That means they have recognized the problem and have officially committed to fixing it. I've had one warranty appointment on the stalling and now with another 2k miles on the bike, the stalling is starting to reappear. I'm keeping careful records so I can go through the FL Lemon Law process, if necessary. I hope not, as I love the bike and also would like to see BMW permanently resolve the issue.

There's a little bit more out on this issue at the dealers. If it still stalls or reappears, take it in again. I don't think it is the ultimate fix, but a bit more to look at besides throttle body residue.

There's more out now for the stalling issue. Check with your dealer if you have any problems.

K1300 Recall

BMW K1300 GT ÔÇô K1300 S Handlebar Switch Recal

BMW has issued a recall for 2009 BMW K1300 GT and K1300 S motorcycles for a problem with handlebar switches. Please read the details below.

Manufacturer: BMW of North America
Model Year: 2009
Models affected: K1300 GT, K1300 S
NHTSA Campaign Number: 09V384000
Problem: BMW is recalling certain model year 2009 motorcycles. The switches on the handlebars for both the direction indicator and the emergency engine off/engine-start functions may fail. In such a case, the directional indicator and/or the emergency engine-off/start functions would be rendered inoperative. In some cases, engine stalling could also result increasing the risk of a crash.

Corrective Action: Dealers will inspect and replace the necessary components free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-831-1117.

The switches may have contributed to the engine dying...actually may have confused the issue mostly.

Back