• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Memphis

C

cheesewhiz

I'm heading to Memphis (alone) From south-central WI this Friday (9/21/2007) and returning Sunday.
Beale Street and the Blues Museum in Clarksdale MS are on the list of things to do.

Any other suggestions?
Also, any good return routes through southern IL or threrabouts?

Thanks in advance! :bow
Whizzy

In Memphis check out the Peabody hotel and the ducks. Rendezvous ribs just across from the Peabody in the Alley. Also Mud Island. If you like baseball they have a AAA club with the stadium downtown. Beale street won't take long to see. More going on at night. How can you forget Graceland and Elvis?

As for Illinois routes, I travelled from Nashville to the WI Rally by going up through Hopkinsville, KY to Evansville and the crossing over into Illinois on Hwy 1 (2 lane flat and straight). Coming back was on Hwy 41 (flat 4 lane)down through West Indiania. The 4 lane was faster.

route north

Take US 51N from Memphis to Dyersburg. From Dyersburg take 78 through Tiptonville, TN and on to Hickman, Ky. This will take you past Reelfoot Lake and the bald eagle sanctuary. Some pleasant riding with good scenery in KY and you will cross the Ohio where it flows into the Mississippi. Pick up 3 in Ill and head for St. Louis. 3 is the Great River Road in Ill and runs along the river with some good views. This is close to the route from Memphis used in Feasting on Asphalt II. Yes, you will see Popeye in Chester, Ill. I would avoid the Rendevous if you like good bbq.

I would recommend the Rock and Soul museum. What specifically do you like to do? A weekend is not really much time to see our wonderfull city.

I would recommend the Rock and Soul museum. What specifically do you like to do? A weekend is not really much time to see our wonderfull city.

It's my last vacation day:cry so a 600 mile blast, some BBQ, some blues and back home is a fitting way to end the summer.

I've been warned that your town can become addictive so I'm looking at this trip as sort of a scouting mission for next year :clap

:wave

If you need anything when you are here, feel free to email me. The museum, BBQ, and Beale Street are all downtown near each other. The museum is in the Gibson Guitar factory.
Just hang out in downtown-BUT do not get a hotel down there. If you stay in a hotel, I would recommend staying in Cordova. (The area near Germantown and 64)

There has to be extra stuff going on at Graceland, its the 30th anniversary of his death this year.[/QUOTE]

All of this is over. We have already had Elvis week.

If you need anything when you are here, feel free to email me. The museum, BBQ, and Beale Street are all downtown near each other. The museum is in the Gibson Guitar factory.
Just hang out in downtown-BUT do not get a hotel down there. If you stay in a hotel, I would recommend staying in Cordova. (The area near Germantown and 64)

Thanks for the offer!

I did, however, book a room at the Red Roof Inn about 2 miles west of Beale (42 South Camilla Street). I hope this was NOT a bad choice.
I plan on cabbing it to and from Beale street.

:dunno

One possible route if you would like to stay off the slab, US 45 (crosses I 57 around Effingham, IL) south to IL 13 just south of Eldorado, IL. Then east to IL 1 and south on to Cave-in-Rock. There's a free ferry there and the riding in Kentucky is quite scenic. You can follow some of the Kentucky state routes along the Ohio River back west and south. Julian Carroll Parkway isn't usually crowded and hooks up with US 51 which is a good ride all the way into Memphis.

If you really have time, continue riding through the Land Between the Lakes (Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley)

If you stay west of I 57 through Southern Illinois, I would try to work down IL 127. US 51 is a good road, but more traffic, especially around Carbondale (SIU). A nice place to stop and spend the night is Giant City State Park just south of Carbondale. They have cabins there and a nice rustic restaurant. IL 3 is a great route, but you're going to be a little early for the leaves changing.

Roads through the Shawnee Forest (Southern Illinois) are quite scenic and can be enjoyable. There are a lot of scenic areas through the forest and you could spend a lot of time there. One such place is Garden of the Gods (80' sandstone bluffs/rock formations).

I 57 is typical slab and can be quite crowded. Construction around Marion, IL. Pulaski County at the very southern end of I 57 is a speed trap haven - be forewarned.

Ride safe.

Red Roof - Memphis

Brian and I stayed there on Labor Day Weekend, and found it quite pleasant and reasonable priced at $65/night. They let us park our bikes under the front canopy so they were out of the weather and secure. The room was average, with a nice swimming pool that was used by several families.

We especially liked how close it was to Beale Street.

:groovy

As far as the Rendevous Restaurant ---> we thought it was overly-hyped with ho-hum average ribs and silly-high prices.

There is a GREAT place for pulled Pork Sandwiches located outside of town called Morris's. It's an old gas station turned into a barbecue joint - carryout only. Easily the best pulled pork sandwiches I've ever had. I can ride there, but don't know the address --- but could probably get the directions if you want to try it out.

So - HOW WAS IT?

Looks like you had nice weather.... please tell us how the trip was. :)

3 Days, 1,460 miles, a small case of monkey butt, and 7 states later..............

Fabulous weekend. My Rt ran perfect. No close calls with cagers. GREAT weather.

The ride down was a bit tougher than I had envisioned. Hot temps, a stong headwind, and slab all the way made for a long day.
The Red Roof was fine. Although as I was parking the bike I noticed alot of young people (I think they call them "Hippies") were milling around drinking beers and preparing for Widespread Panic concert that night. All in all, the Roof was a great place to stay.
I unpacked the bike and motered down to Beale for some ribs, blues and food.
What a place! Music was everywhere. Street performers, back alley bands playing to a hand full of people, band shells in the park to BB Kings club with a FINE R & B band smokin all night long. :bottle

Saturday I arose to another steamy day and a mission to travel to the crossroads. I hit Hwy 61 south and took it past the cotton fields to the birthplace of the blues Clarksdale, MS. Being a musician and having played the blues for some 20 years now this town touched me deep inside. Travelling thru town and seeing the the old beat up houses and auto grave yards.....the delapitated factories and businesses really gave me pause as to the quality of my own life.
I made my way through town to Blues Alley and the Delta Blues Museum. But first...FOOD. Had lunch (pulled pork and fried green tomatoes) at The Ground Zero Blues Club a old nasty looking building with a few couches out front to relax on. The club is owned in part by the actor Morgan Freeman and features outstanding blues act and FOOD :eat (Did I mention food?). Any way, after chowing down it was time to tour the museum. I highly recommend this place to anyone with any interest in the blues as it features pictures, clothes, instruments and even Muddy Waters' childhood home. Yep, the old wooden shack is on disply INSIDE this museum.
I hopped back on the RT, found THE crossroads (Hwy 61 & 49) snapped some pics and headed back to Memphis.
Once I was back In Memphis it was back down to Beale for dinner at the Kings Palace Cafe (Great Cajun food) and more music.

Memphis is a wonderfull place and I know I'll be back. :dance

Sundays ride back was much easier. Two lane riding (Road selection via suggestion from these forums (THANK YOU) followed by slab with a tail wind all the way from St Louis.

Thanks everyone for your help. :bow

Whizzy :thumb

Back