• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering a '99 F650

wezul

Cage Rattler
It's my turn to ask advice, here's the deal. We are considering a '99 F650. 4600 miles, haven't seen it yet.
I'd like your opinions, likes, dislikes. Let me know, I'll bet you know more about this bike than I.

Appreciate it.

Thanks.

You might also want to go check out the Chain Gang (F650.com) site.

I was real hapy with my 03 F650. we had a Lowered for Jennifer but it did not work out... the bike that is.

Thanks Brad. Yeah, this would be for Rae, we popped over to get a boo at it, looks pretty clean for an 8 year old bike. We'll get it scrutinized, fits her pretty well ergo-wise.

I owned a '99 "Funduro" and now wish I hadn't sold it. (I needed money). It was a great ride for me as it had a nice Sargent seat and a lowering kit to go along with its intrinsic adequate suspension, peppy engine,and good tires. I rode it on and off-road and even managed some single track even though it is a bit heavy for that kind of riding. The bike you decribe has really low mileage and I would check out if was ever wrecked and how it was maintained, of course. It is a good idea to check out the Chain Gang site...if it checks out, go for it!

Need your advice.

I really appreciate your responses. I'm excited to find a bike that fits me ergonomically, a 1999 F650. I definitely have my mind set on a pre-owned with my being a beginner or I'd be considering a new F650.

The wiring and all looks good. The only thing I found (and I know nothing about the mechanics of a bike) is there was some brownish fluid on the case where the clutch lever (spline) is on the lower left hand side. Nothing was leaking; the fluid seemed dried and just sticky. You could tell it was leaking heavier at one time as the sticky bits were still there on the front of the case and back by what looked like a tube of some sort. The owner said he just took it into BMW because it wasn't running well and BMW changed all the rings. We're going to call the dealer that did the work tomorrow to check out what they did and if they saw anything that would be an immediate problem in the near future. Oh, the Petcock was hard to turn. He had it in the on position and I turned it to off. It was a tough turn to off. Should I be concerned about thiese things?

The bike was bought out West new, original owner and probably hasn't been ridden in years. Should I be concerned that the tires could have rot inside but look okay on the outside? The owner says he put a new battery in a short time ago.

The bike started right up cold. The wiring looked good and no rust or corosion on the bolts and such.

Once I speak to the dealer the challenge will be to figure out what to offer...the owner is asking $4200. I think that is high.

It comes with 2 BMW small cases and tank bag.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Susan

Last edited:
With the cases and tank bag $4200 sounds about right considering the mileage. That is what I paid for a higher mileage '97ST with aftermarket hard cases 2 years ago and it had some cosmetic damage. Unless you find some serious problems with it go for it. I have short legs, 29" inseam, and with the lowering kit installed it is probably the best fitting bike I have ridden is 40+ years. The only shortcoming I found is the alternator is a little small if you want to use heated clothing. My solution was to add a F650GS to the stable! :bikes

Thanks Railbender. Appreciate the input. The cosmetic scratches are so minor they weren't worth mentioning.

So far I've heard good things about this bike. I've been reading on Chain Gang about what to watch for when buying a bike plus the weaknesses in this bike, i.e. the plugs, battery and Voltage Rectifier.

Susan

I did it!

I settled for a 2003 F650CS. So happens that I'm buying it from one of the members of MOA. Small world!

Thanks Brad. Yeah, this would be for Rae, we popped over to get a boo at it, looks pretty clean for an 8 year old bike. We'll get it scrutinized, fits her pretty well ergo-wise.

Yeah right. Once she gets it, you'll find more and more reasons you need to borrow it! :D

They're great bikes. You'll like the CS. Shame you jumped so soon. There's a 2000 SE with 414 miles right now. Looks lowered, but pics can be deceiving. Oh well.

Enjoy. Come visit us on www.f650.com, quite possibly the best single marque/model motorcycling website on the interwebs.

Lowered would not work for this long legged girl.
We think she did quite well, got a good vibe about the bike and the seller.

01 650gs is GREAT

I love my 01 650gs. Bought with 10K and have put 20K on it in the past 15 months or so... took it cross country, almost, Ohio to Santa Fe - I'm a long legged six footer with a bad left knee, so the knee bend is a bit much for me after a day of riding. I never have a problem around town though, and I commute year round. Very comfortable ride - Nimble and quick - I call it my Commuter Commando Bike. THe great thing is that if you don't like what you're looking at, you can hop the curb and cut through the woods!!

I'm trading UP to an 1150RT soon though... need more long distance comfort/power/size features...

Steve Magas

I love my 01 650gs. Bought with 10K and have put 20K on it in the past 15 months or so... took it cross country, almost, Ohio to Santa Fe - I'm a long legged six footer with a bad left knee, so the knee bend is a bit much for me after a day of riding. I never have a problem around town though, and I commute year round. Very comfortable ride - Nimble and quick - I call it my Commuter Commando Bike. THe great thing is that if you don't like what you're looking at, you can hop the curb and cut through the woods!!

I'm trading UP to an 1150RT soon though... need more long distance comfort/power/size features...

Steve Magas

Steve: You're going to love the R1150RT. One of my good buddies bought one (2002 model) this summer and he really likes it. He rides it to work most days. He can almost keep up with my old R1100R on the twisties! (sorry wezul--no highjack intended). Joe

Last edited:
Back