• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Turn signals out: 1987 K100RT

mckayprod

I replaced the flasher relay with a good used one a few months ago to fix the known "signal won't turn off" problem. Coming back from the beach the other day the bike got hot enough in traffic that the overheat idiot light came on. We pulled over to cool it off and rode home without further incident, but the signals got wonky about an hour later (right paddle started the left flasher, left paddle did nothing) and now won't flash at all. All other electricals seem fine. Time for another relay? And, I did check the fuse.

Seized Fan

Here is what happened to my 85K100. I was in rush hour traffic. I noticed my signals were not working. The next thing was that traffic stopped and the HOT light came on. The signals and the cooling fan are on the same fuse. The fan had seized and blow the fuse. That may be what happen to you. Harold in Kansas

Checked the fan this morning. It turns, but it's stiff. I would expect it to spin with light pressure, but no. I think the fan motor is fried. I'll put a meter across that fuse tonight before bed.

OK, the fuse is good. So, I'm still leaning toward the theory that the excess heat from the engine (without the cooling action of the fan) somehow compromised the flasher relay. The bike goes in for service next week, and I'll let the factory-trained guys have a go at it. Good thing it isn't hot this week, and that no one in California cares if I use my turn signals.

Turn Signals

OK, the fuse is good. So, I'm still leaning toward the theory that the excess heat from the engine (without the cooling action of the fan) somehow compromised the flasher relay. The bike goes in for service next week, and I'll let the factory-trained guys have a go at it. Good thing it isn't hot this week, and that no one in California cares if I use my turn signals.

The majority of car drivers in California don't even know what turn signals are.
Those that do know, have neither the intelligence or show the courtesy to use them.

OK! Just got the bike back from the shop, and the problem was fixed by replacing a fuse. NOT the third one down the fuse bank labeled "Blinkleuchten Uhr", but the bottom 15a fuse, labeled "Doppel-horn Luften". I'm not good with the wiring diagram (or German!), but I don't see how the "double horn ventilator" circuit has anything to do with the turn signals. I guess I don't care that much, but I am curious. I could have saved some money replacing the fuse myself. Any ideas?

Here is what happened to my 85K100. I was in rush hour traffic. I noticed my signals were not working. The next thing was that traffic stopped and the HOT light came on. The signals and the cooling fan are on the same fuse. The fan had seized and blow the fuse. That may be what happen to you. Harold in Kansas

Turns out you were right. Fan and turn signals both have functions controlled on that circuit.

That's one of the BIG clues that your fan has seized - the horn stops working. They share the same fuse.. and apparently the turnsignal uses some part of the circuit also. The diagrams in the books have the fuses in an order that is not the same as on the bike (duh).. so you really have to look at the writing on the little plastic cover to figure out which one is which.

Sorry that I didn't tell you which fuse was blown. The reason is two fold. One I didn't remember which one it was and two I just took my test light spike and tested both ends of every fuse in the block. I quit checking fuses visually a long time ago. After several hours of trouble shooting a system from one end to the other I discovered a fuse that looked good but was in fact open. Harold in Kansas

Back