• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle Rentals YEA/NEA?

RJM2096

I had a less than a good experience with a Motorcycle Rental in Tucson, AZ with Big Sky Motorcycle Rentals. I posted more of the details about 5 blogs down using the emails to and from the dealer involved.

What about you? What have been your experiences renting motorcyles?

Have you had to pay a non-refundable deposit?

Did you rent what you thought you reserved?

Have you been hung out for damage on the cycle?

Have you had to pay for lost rental time while the cycle sits waiting for parts or the time it takes to get fixed?

Last edited:
I rented a Harley from St. Paul Harley Davidson. The rental process was easy and the bike was great!

Maybe this explains it.

To: bigskytucson@bigskymotorcycles.com
Subject: HD Rental
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 15:48:40 -0600

Hi Caren:

I rented a motorcycle from your company on February 2, 2008.

I found Big Sky Motorcycles on the Internet and reviewed the page on Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

http://www.bigskymotorcycles.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=10

While it did not say what year the cycles were, the specifications were very specific including a 6-speed transmission and no mention of Python custom exhausts.

When I asked about the cycles I was told there were two 2007s and I put deposit on my credit card to reserve one of them.

When I arrived that morning, I was told the 2007s were still out, but they had a 2006 for me. In addition, as I rode away with the 2006 the exhaust was extremely loud. This was not a stock HD. I examined the pipes and saw that they were aftermarket Python pipes. They were so loud my ears still ring at night.

The cycle ran good and road well, but I feel that this was a bait and switch transaction. If I would have known this rental would a 2006, a 5 speed, or had a loud exhaust I would have shopped elsewhere for a rental.

Please review my charges, consider a significantly adjustment to the fees you charged me for the rental, and forward your response to me.

Rob Mayes MSE/MTD
Senior Software Engineer
www.PremierDataSoftware.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:26 AM
To: Rob Mayes
Subject: RE: HD Rental

Rob,

I received a "Red Light Running" ticket in the mail yesterday. I have responded to the Tucson Police Department with your information as the operator of the vehicle at the time the Red Light Running occurred. (see attached scanned documents)

It is very unfortunate you had such a bad experience renting our 2006 Heritage Softail, however in light of you putting approximately 200 + miles on the bike and deciding to proceed with the rental after being informed it was not a 2007 we have decided no refund on your rental is warrented.

Thank You,
Caren
Big Sky Motorcycles
www.bigskymotorcycles.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Caren:

Mail me the ticket promptly so we can deal with it, I cannot read your images clearly.

I think your logic is flawed on the refund.

1. I was told there was a per day charge with no mention of a limit on the mileage. If the mileage on a 24 hour rent was limited to 50 miles I should have been told. 200 miles for a day on a motorcycle is nothing. It was almost 30 miles to pickup and return the cycle to you shop.

2. I was told what you had available and it was a 2007 and was asked me to pay a non-refundable down payment for that rental vehicle. I was not given an option of getting my deposit returned, only taking a larger cycle that I was inexperienced with. Your staff person was informed at the time I was unhappy and he told me he would ask you about an adjustment on the rates. I clearly contested the whole affair and was at convinced I would be treated fairly.

It is beyond me why you did not offer a small refund. I have been dealing with the public for years and have always been willing to listen to a customer when they are unhappy and all they want is an adjustment, usually they demand full refunds and expect to be compensated for their aggravation. I had a legitimate complaint and you get greedy with a few misguided thoughts of “Your drove it more that we expected and your really were not forced to do business with us”. Any time “fraud in the inducement” can be proved any protections a contract provides are null and void.

I will turn to the Tucson Better Business Bureau and will post my experiences with your firm on using these key search engine words Motorcycle Rentals, Tucson, Bad Experience and will suggest to our club members next year on our Tucson ride we avoid your firm since you do not deliver on the agreed upon reserved rentals and penalize on mileages if they exceed 200.

Rob Mayes MSE/MTD
Senior Software Engineer
www.PremierDataSoftware.com

Last edited:
I've had a few friends rent from Dubbelju here in SF with great experiences.
I may quite possibly be one of them. :thumb

Wolfgang at Dubbelju was as fine and straight-up a gent as can be imagined. I rented the 06 RT for only 24 hours and it wasn't inexpensive, but Burnzilla and his pals made sure that the riding experience was worth every second.

My dad rented a GS from www.azride.com and had a bad experience with them.

They kept his security deposit for a rock ding on the bike and a scuff on the side case. Normal wear and tear for a GS you would think. He fought it. I never did ask what the outcome was. I think they ended up turning it over to his insurance.

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:26 AM
To: Rob Mayes
Subject: RE: HD Rental

Rob,

It is very unfortunate you had such a bad experience renting our 2006 Heritage Softail, however in light of you putting approximately 200 + miles on the bike and deciding to proceed with the rental after being informed it was not a 2007 we have decided no refund on your rental is warrented.

Thank You,
Caren
Big Sky Motorcycles

A mere 200 miles...:laugh what the hell does a rental company expect you to do, park it and look at it? Oops, I forgot...its a Harley. You're supposed to park them and look at them.

You reserved a 2007 and that is what you should have received. What a ticket has to do with anything as far as the rental is concerned is beyond me.

I may quite possibly be one of them. :thumb

Wolfgang at Dubbelju was as fine and straight-up a gent as can be imagined. I rented the 06 RT for only 24 hours and it wasn't inexpensive, but Burnzilla and his pals made sure that the riding experience was worth every second.

I know three other folks that have rented from them and had similar experiences. They rented a K75, an R11R and an R12RT from Dubbelju.

Not a Harley Dealer

I want to add Big Sky Motorcycle rentals was not an HD dealer. My mistake! :dunno for not going to an HD dealer!

Last edited:
I rented a Harley from St. Paul Harley Davidson. The rental process was easy and the bike was great!

+1 on St. Paul. The bike was a low rider, with a crappy left foot peg, and when I came in, there was a chip on the rear fender, but they never charged me for it.

They kept his security deposit for a rock ding on the bike and a scuff on the side case. Normal wear and tear for a GS you would think. He fought it. I never did ask what the outcome was. I think they ended up turning it over to his insurance.

Rented GS's from AZRIDE in 2006 and 2007. Night and day difference between the two rental periods. They were new to the game in 2006 and had a good experience with them. 2007 was a whole new ballgame. Their new approach to "damages" was 180 degrees from 2006. In 2007 all nicks, scratches and smudges were subject to damage deposit hits. Needless to say, I didn't clean the windshield or any part of the bike for fear of scratching it. I returned the bike dusty with a bug encrusted windshield.
Maybe they got burned a few times in 2006, their first year of business, so the big change in damage assessment could be a result of that. I won't be a repeat customer until their tune changes.

My wife and I rented two F650 GS's from Eaglerider in Jackson, WY for a day in August '06. No problems at all with the bikes or the rental process. Motorcycles were as represented, unlimited mileage, and return the bikes with the fuel tanks empty with no refill charge. My only gripe was their charging the same daily rate for the F650 as an HD Ultra Classic, but that was their policy and we knew it up front. They actually seemed amazed we wanted the BMW's and not the HD's.

Roy

They kept his security deposit for a rock ding on the bike and a scuff on the side case.

Did they replace those items? I highly doubt it!!! After paying the security deposit, I'd be demanding those parts be given to me.

Which makes me believe they want you to suffer minor damage so they can justify keeping your security deposit. Then they get to keep the security deposit from the next guy that adds to the damage. Imagine the money that can be made on security deposits alone. The security deposit is supposed to cover their insurance deductible.

Did they replace those items? I highly doubt it!!! After paying the security deposit, I'd be demanding those parts be given to me.

Which makes me believe they want you to suffer minor damage so they can justify keeping your security deposit. Then they get to keep the security deposit from the next guy that adds to the damage. Imagine the money that can be made on security deposits alone. The security deposit is supposed to cover their insurance deductible.

this is hoe u haul charge for demages,i know this for a fact from friend who works for u haul

this is how u haul charge for demages, i know this for a fact from friend who works for u haul

So the above scam may be possible practice with some outfits; and that on top of overpriced rental rates.

There is a thread going on another forum regarding rentals. Since I keep expense records of everything on Excel, I was able to produce my costs per 2500 kms (1553 miles), which is the high side of what rental agencies include in a weekly rental. My costs were under 10% of the rental rate.

Although the service is of value to some, I'm glad I don't have to rent motorcycles.

Rentals

I've rented a Harley Dynaglide (3-days) from American Eagle in Miami and a Honda VFR (one-week) from Raceways in London, UK. In both cases, the experience was excellent. Very different experiences in very different places but both were great fun.

Eagle rider Orlando

Rented for several years from Eagle Rider in Orlando with nothing but good experiences. They were impressed with the fact that I had the most riding experience of anyone who had rented from them; during Bike Week they often gave me their regular rate and always zeroed our the deposit upon my return; highly recommended...wj

Back