• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

83 R100 RT external shift linkage parts question.

wvpc

I am in the process of winterizing my older RT. I had missed a couple of upshifts recently and while looking at the linkage I noticed the red spongy material that seals the heim joints on the external shift linkage is rotting away.

.P1010929.JPG

Online catalogs list the whole part(s) for sale for $55. I only need the red spongy seals (2). Does anyone know of a substitute part or material? The rest of the linkage is fine.

The R1200R has a similar soft bushing in its shift linkage: part no. 35417674080, lists for $1.33.

Back in the "old" days of bicycle hubs and bottom brackets with open bearings, people used to put a couple twists of fuzzy wire pipe cleaners around the axels to keep dirt and crud out of the bearings.

Those fuzzy washers on my shift linkage broke down years ago. Since then, I run three turns of pipe cleaner with a drop or two of oil on them. Seems to keep the linkage joints pretty clean. Easy to replace whenever they get to looking too grungy. Craft stores still sell pipe cleaners - so do some tobacco shops.

Amazing answer MonoRT. I have some pipe cleaners laying around. I'll try your suggestion first. THanks.

While on this subject concerning the external shift linkage, has anyone got information on the little clips that go on each end, holding the Heim joints together?

I don't need any, but the last two times I took mine apart, I dropped the little circular clip, but found it. I am afraid that I will one day need one, and want to do a little investigating beforehand.

Jimmy -

Do you have the stock linkage or has it been upgraded to the heim joint style? I didn't think the heim joint had the clips. My /7 has the accordion boot (torn slightly) along with an s-shaped wire and a bunch of other contraptions. I've heard Tom Cutter say several times that this setup should be replaced with the later version with the adjustable heim joint. His point is that the older style gets sloppy and results in poor/missed shifts and wearing of the internal dogs. The later linkage tightens up the shifting and reduces this issue inside the transmission. I haven't gotten around to making the switch.

The R1200R has a similar soft bushing in its shift linkage: part no. 35417674080, lists for $1.33.

This part number comes up as a "plastic bushing" which is different than the foam/felt protector that is on the R100's. I am wondering how much different?

Jimmy -

Do you have the stock linkage or has it been upgraded to the heim joint style? I didn't think the heim joint had the clips. My /7 has the accordion boot (torn slightly) along with an s-shaped wire and a bunch of other contraptions. I've heard Tom Cutter say several times that this setup should be replaced with the later version with the adjustable heim joint. His point is that the older style gets sloppy and results in poor/missed shifts and wearing of the internal dogs. The later linkage tightens up the shifting and reduces this issue inside the transmission. I haven't gotten around to making the switch.

.View attachment 42251

If my computer skills work, this pic shows exactly what I have. Is this the better of the two you describe?

To me, it seems pretty fool proof as long as it is lubricated and the foam/felt bushing is kept oil soaked to protect any water/dirt from contaminating.

JL

This part number comes up as a "plastic bushing" which is different than the foam/felt protector that is on the R100's. I am wondering how much different?

The descriptive words in the fiche are inaccurate; the part is described as "plastic bushing," but is actually a foam ring. I just bought three.

Last edited:
You can see the clips on the heim joints in the first post, around the base of the spherical part.

Kurt,

Do you see the clips we are talking about? In the pic, look for the spherical part on each end of the rod, and look at the "neck" of each. There is the visible part of each clip, the straight part is hidden and goes into a small hole parallel to the shaft. The straight part of the clip holds the "ball" in the female part of the Heim joint end to prevent them from separating.

It is such an unusual clip, that it would not be able to be purchased at one's local hardware store. I want to get a couple as back ups when I end up dropping one and losing it as they are a little springy and tend to bounce off the floor in any direction, or they get caught somewhere and can't be found!

Cool video! Thanks.

I sure could use one of those delrin bushings that the Lazy Carpenter had made.

My shift lever is as sloppy now as his was.

Last edited:
Back