• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Searching the MOA forum

BCKRider

Kbiker
I'm sure I am not the only only one who would prefer to find, read and maybe reply to an old thread. I'm also sure I am not the only one to search for a topic in vain. Has this problem been resolved in the recent changes to the forum? Has the "search feature" been improved, and if so, where can I read about it?

I made a similar request months ago and some kind poster posted a message of how to post on Google, which worked great. Unfortunately, I didn't save his message - or can't find it, though likely still posted on the forum.

Yes, I am not the most "computer literate" person on the forum. But there are a lot of us in our boat who want to learn and share. Can any of you share accurate info on how to access past threads?

In a google search field type:

Code:
site:bmwmoa.org your search items

That asks google to search for "your search items" but limit the search to the bmwmoa.org. Note: this only works if bmwmoa.org is searchable by google. Anything that is "member only" won't be found. There are no spaces in "site:bmwmoa.org" part of the search string.

marchyman... .. YOU DA MAN buddy!!!

How f-r-e-a-k-i-n' cool is dat!! and if you separate your "search items" with a comma i.e. you wanted to search posts by username...

e.g.site:bmw r75/5 brakes, lmo1131

it does that too :dance

Vielen Dank!!!

I've been trying this method recently and it doesn't seem to work that well. I used "site bmwmoa.org r100" and of the hits I got only one hit...this was the results...not what I expected.

Attachments

• MOAsearch.jpg
    MOAsearch.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 84
I've been trying this method recently and it doesn't seem to work that well. .

Same for me, this method has been mentioned several times in the past, but when I try it, I get very few BMWMOA hits.

I tried it again, but got rid of the space after "site:". That seems to work better.

Attachments

• MOAsearch1.jpg
    MOAsearch1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 80
:nod

• There are no spaces in "site:bmwmoa.org" part of the search string.
  • this only works on the portions of bmwmoa.org that are searchable by google.

Taking a guess, I'm thinking it's the parts that only guests can see. To find out what those are, logged out and come back to the forum...you'll see what the "world" sees.

Taking a guess, I'm thinking it's the parts that only guests can see. To find out what those are, logged out and come back to the forum...you'll see what the "world" sees.

When I log out it looks like 4 Forums are missing.
One under Welcome, and three under The Club.

Google search is nice/useful (its the only way i find anything) but the search function in the forum should really be fixed (or just powered by google to begin with)

I just tried and found the google search works good. I'd really like to know if I can do the same thing from within the moa site, especially once it's been archived.

Back