• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tent camping sites - listings - advice

SCBuckeye

I would like to start doing some riding by myself, and would like to do tent camping (only necessary requirements would be shower in the morning, tent site, maybe with electricity, ability to use small camp stove for coffee in the morning). I want to be able to plan a trip (like from Canton, OH to Greenville, SC - down Rt. 77 with maybe some stops in VA to see Civil War sites) and would like to be able to see what campsites are available along my route.

Then, when doing the trip, just when I feel like it, stop and camp, then leave in the morning.

I want to do many such trips, but mostly in eastern US - lots to Civil War stuff.

Any magazines, web sites, organizations dedicated to MC tent travelling?

Thanks,
JimmyLee

You have been riding for 45 years and don't know how to find a campsite?:whistle...........KOA, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Forestry Service, Camping USA, Woodalls, Reserve America........on and on........God bless.........Dennis

Last edited:
I would like to start doing some riding by myself, and would like to do tent camping (only necessary requirements would be shower in the morning, tent site, maybe with electricity, ability to use small camp stove for coffee in the morning). I want to be able to plan a trip (like from Canton, OH to Greenville, SC - down Rt. 77 with maybe some stops in VA to see Civil War sites) and would like to be able to see what campsites are available along my route.

Then, when doing the trip, just when I feel like it, stop and camp, then leave in the morning.

I want to do many such trips, but mostly in eastern US - lots to Civil War stuff.

Any magazines, web sites, organizations dedicated to MC tent travelling?

Thanks,
JimmyLee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776925

You have been riding for 45 years and don't know how to find a campsite?...........KOA, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Forestry Service, Camping USA, Woodalls, Reserve America........on and on........God bless.........Dennis

There you go again, Dennis. It must me a disease!

One ranger that was at Antietam when I stopped there in June rides -- gave me a scenic road map between there and Gettysburg.

Plenty of hits on "motorcycle camping" via google, bing, etc.

My advice: freestanding tent, two poles, 15 degree Big Agnes down bag, NeoAir mattress pad, Jetboil, and you can get your electricity from the bike. Everything you buy should PACK VERY SMALL.

Hey!

Thanks to all of you. Though I have ridden motorcycles for many years (40+) because I had 4 kids and wanted them to grow up with a Dad, and I was so busy working all the time (2 jobs) I never had any time to travel, just ride back and forth to work.

Now that the kids are gone, I want to do some short 3-400 mile trips, stay at campsites (I have never been camping before, except in the side yard!). Your ideas were very helpful. Ideas about what to have and take, what to do, and where to stay have all be helpful. My only hesitation now is DOING it. I am slightly afraid that when I get somewhere where I feel tired enough to finally quit riding and sleep for the night, that I won't be able to find a place.

I will finally get going.

One ranger that was at Antietam when I stopped there in June rides -- gave me a scenic road map between there and Gettysburg.

Plenty of hits on "motorcycle camping" via google, bing, etc.

My advice: freestanding tent, two poles, 15 degree Big Agnes down bag, NeoAir mattress pad, Jetboil, and you can get your electricity from the bike. Everything you buy should PACK VERY SMALL.

Antietam and Appomattox are next on my desire list to go see. My son and I went to Gettysburg, Philadelpha, PA, Washington DC (Memorial Day) Monticello, Lexington, VA, and Charleston, SC - all on motorcycle trip!

I will be traveling alone for camping though.

... My only hesitation now is DOING it. I am slightly afraid that when I get somewhere where I feel tired enough to finally quit riding and sleep for the night, that I won't be able to find a place.

I will finally get going.

My advice is not to ride until it's dark or nearly dark. Leave yourself plenty of time to find the campsite, set up in daylight, and maybe still have time to ride or walk around and explore a little, or find someplace to get groceries or a take-out place and enjoy your new "home".

My advice is not to ride until it's dark or nearly dark. Leave yourself plenty of time to find the campsite, set up in daylight, and maybe still have time to ride or walk around and explore a little, or find someplace to get groceries or a take-out place and enjoy your new "home".

I think this is the best advice when it comes to mc camping.

Indeed, good advice, however it seems that for me I usually ride to the last minute or longer.

You should be prepared to setup camp in the dark, especially in the fall and winter months when the days are shorter and some campgrounds might be closed for the season. It's not hard to setup in the dark if you have a head-mounted flash light and if you've packed your bike in an organized fashion.

My advice is to take a couple of short "practise trips" where you only go a comfortable distance from home, then set up your gear while there's still light to see by. If you do this often enough it will become second nature and you will find it easy to do in low-light conditions. a decent headlamp can be a big asset, but familiarity with your gear is the key to success !!
At home the daylight is gone by 4pm in the winter months so you learn to adapt.
Get out there and have fun :)
Ian.

Great campground reference

I have been using the AAA camping books for many years. This year they have consolidated all of North America into one book and are charging a very nominal fee for it. :wave. Great reference. Also in WNC there are a number of motorcycle campgrounds, just for us. You can google them.
John

I have been using the AAA camping books for many years. This year they have consolidated all of North America into one book and are charging a very nominal fee for it. :wave. Great reference. Also in WNC there are a number of motorcycle campgrounds, just for us. You can google them.
John

What is "WNC"?

Is that Western North Carolina?

You have been riding for 45 years and don't know how to find a campsite?:whistle...........KOA, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Forestry Service, Camping USA, Woodalls, Reserve America........on and on........God bless.........Dennis

I think this is the best advice when it comes to mc camping.

I agree. Nothing worse than having to set up a tent in the dark. Start looking for a nice campsite with at least 2 hours of light left, and not only will you be ready for a restful night when the sun goes down, you'll have a chance to visit around the campgrounds and possibly meet some new friends. After all, riding is only a part of traveling. I've found out information on some of my most memorable destinations along the way from like minded folks I've met in the evening at camp sites.

I agree with all the priors. A good source for the basics as well as some ideas you might not think of, I found the book titled "Motorcycle Camping Made Easy" by Bob Woofter is an easy read and informative. I purchased mine from Whitehorse Gear.

List your location

If we knew where you were located, someone will probably offer to take you out on a first motorcycle camping trip, just to help you up the learning curve. Camping on a bike offers a few challenges.

Others have offered good advice. My addition is to get some stuff sacks, or compression sacks, for bulky items, especially your sleeping bag. You can find army surplus compression sacks (get the ones with straps both vertical and horizontal, i.e. "9 strap") for <$20 on eBay. Have spare bungee cords (I like the Rok Straps brand) and plastic bags for protecting said sleeping bag from rain because the old army surplus compression bag might not be waterproof......(DAMHIK):violin!!! I like JetBoil camp stove, too, but some don't.

Take it easy and have a blast!!!

My advice is to take a couple of short "practise trips" where you only go a comfortable distance from home, then set up your gear while there's still light to see by. If you do this often enough it will become second nature and you will find it easy to do in low-light conditions. a decent headlamp can be a big asset, but familiarity with your gear is the key to success !!
At home the daylight is gone by 4pm in the winter months so you learn to adapt.
Get out there and have fun :)
Ian.

also before you try any kind of trip, get all equipment and set up and take down 4 or 5 time in the yard. This will tell if you can wait till almost dark or even after dark to set up. May even try it in the RAIN.
good luck on and all you adventures.

Back