• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for a new jacket at least...

M

MasterChiefmas

So now that I plan to do a little more touring type riding, I'd like a jacket that's got more utility to it then just protecting my skin like my racing leather. I've been a sportbike rider for a number of years, but I don't know much of what to look for outside of racing leathers. Or even where to look. Normally I'd start at NewEnough, and they have some stuff, but I don't really have any idea what to look for. I have a rainsuit, but I wouldn't mind switching my jacket up to something more fitting.

I've often heard Aerostitch is good gear for this, and that's about all. So, suggestions? What should I look for? I'm hoping for something I can make work Spring-Fall. I don't plan on doing much/any winter riding, we get too much snow mostly.
Thanks!

What bike are you riding? A touring oriented jacket may not be as comfortable on an S1K as on an RT. There are a lot of choices out there, so I would decide on some basics and take it from there. Leather or textile? Lots of ventilation or not so much? If you have a rain suit, does it need to be waterproof? How much protection does it offer? Most importantly, how much do you want to spend? You're best bet is to try to find some local dealers and browse their selections in person. Also, check out webbikeworld.com and read their reviews.

For cooler weather I wear a First Gear Jaunt, not top of the line, but does most of what I want in a (sport)touring jacket. Waterproof, 3/4 length, warm, good pockets, removable liner, half decent ventilation. I dont wear it above 65 degrees, just not enough vents for me, but I get hot easy. I have a Joe Rocket (forget the model) with leather sleeves and textile body for 60-80 degrees, then go to mesh for hot weather. Haven't found one jacket for all seasons, though some are advertised as such. Happy shopping!

Touring Gear

You will get as many different answers to this as their are people replying. Some people have multiple outfits. My personal take is to get the best protection and wear it. I wear the Aerostich Roadcrafter, and a Hiene Gericke V-Pilot jacket and pants. This is because I have had the Gericke gear for decades and they hold sentimental value. The Roadcrafter is what I wear most.

I do not distinguish between hot and cold weather gear, as I do not believe that when the temperature is in the 90s, that a lighter jacket will make that much difference. When it is hot out, I resign myself to being hot. When it is cold outside, I wear electrified clothes.

Best of luck, and I hope the decision you make works out for you.

Well, I'm looking for something textile I think. I'd like something lighter weight, more versatile(more then 2 pockets), and easier to get into then my racing style leather jackets. Ventilation with removable liners would be good. Waterproof, not necessary I suppose, but would be nice. This will be mainly for riding on my R1200GS.

What I have done in the past is covered this with 4 different jackets, 1 Joe Rocket mesh, a Joe Rocket perforated leather, JR regular leather, and a heavier leather jacket. The leather in my heavier jacket tore earlier this year, otherwise it's what I'd normally be wearing. But even then, that one wasn't armored(or made to allow the addition of armor either), and had only 2 pockets and no removable liner etc. It's a cruiser style jacket I've had since before I rode a motorcycle.

I realize that I'll get a zillion differnet opinions. Even just "avoid X, bad stitching problems" could be useful to know up front.
Thanks!

Partly a matter of IF you count your money, as in how deep are your pockets?Also matters how persistent and patient you can be. Go to ebay,Flea Mkt here, IBMWR, and ADVriders flea Mkt for the "deals" on new, new old models and used gear. Being Americans, we often eat ourselves in & out of our MC gear! I just bought a new jacket(old model)ebay & a new pr of pants(old model) on ebay for much/much less than new, this year stuff elsewhere.
First step is to try on some stuff and see what works for you. Bookmark the size charts for various brands on your computer and accumulate size knowledge as the brands vary tremendously,esp. then euro brands like Revit.Like said, asking here will get you a huge variety of opinions. Summer is the hardest challenge for cool gear as much is hot by nature of design for protection.
Large rally is a good bet as you can try on some stuff.If in rural area, like me,ask lots of questions...

Well, I keep buying jackets but wearing my Aerostich Roadcrafter 2 piece. Since I wore out my second Roadcrafter jacket (pants still good but jacket zippers died at about 200K miles and the cuffs and collar were frayed) I bought a different jacket with more bells and whistles - and then dug my old Roadcrafter jacket out of the closet in the shop and am now wearing it.

The broadest comfortable temperature range and utility is with Roadcrafter pants with the bib top attached, and the Darian Jacket. Simple, easy, convenient.

I don't need 2 snaps, one zipper, plus velcro on every outside pocket. Sheesh!! The thunderstorm was over before I could get the camera out of the pocket.

The broadest comfortable temperature range and utility is with Roadcrafter pants with the bib top attached, and the Darian Jacket. Simple, easy, convenient.

Interesting combo.

The Darien is my second favorite jacket, but like all waterproof-all-the-time jackets I found it too hot in 100?? plus temps. I'm currently using a BMW Rallye II Pro which meets all my needs save one... the suit doesn't look like it will last even half the time my Aerostich gear has lasted. :bluduh

At 8 years my one piece Roadcrafter is ready for a velcro refresh and then will likely be good for another 8 years. The Darien I bought about a dozen years ago is still being worn by the friend who took it off my hands when I got the R2P. At the rate things are deteriorating I hope I get 5 years out of the R2P. Might not.

Well, I do count my money, but I'm willing to spend more to get something better/longer lasting usually. Looking at some of the prices off hand, I don't know if I'm quite ready to sink the kind of cash BMW Ralleye 2 costs, let alone 3s. So lets just say 700-800 is probably a bit high for now.

For gear, my normal target is usually something mid-ranged. But I'd target say, a cap of around 500$ for the jacket.

What are some good places to browse online? The places I typically look are mostly sportbike or cruiser oriented.

Interesting combo.

The Darien is my second favorite jacket, but like all waterproof-all-the-time jackets I found it too hot in 100?? plus temps.

We live in southwest Texas, in the desert. We do travel a lot - further north - in the hottest months here. But here it is October and it was almost 100 in the Rio Grand valley west of Big Bend National Park when we were there day before yesterday, and the day before that. So I do know a bit about heat.

When it is that hot it is hot. If I am taking just a short ride - 53 miles to town or similar - I will wear my Firstgear mesh jacket. But for anything any longer dehydration is too big an issue for me even drinking a lot while I ride. So I use my Roadcrafter or Darien. Not quite as cool, but not life threatening like mesh either.

I just ordered a Rev'it Dragon jacket from Revzilla.com. Ordered it online yesterday at 2:00 PM and had UPS knocking on my door today at 2:30. This was my first time ordering from them, but I'll give them a plug on here for quick, free shipping, a huge selection and lots of videos demonstrating their products and explaining how to get the correct size. They also allow you one free exchange if what you get doesn't fit, which isn't the case with what I ordered, but is a nice option :thumb

Try your local dealer and see what he is selling. You can also try the local BMW club and see what other riders in your area and riding you type of bike are using. Good luck..Many choices out there.

jacket

My 2 cents. I've been to the aerostich factory and the people there are great. I have both the regular Darien jacket and a Darien light plus the regular Darien pants. I ride between snow on the ground and 105 degree stuff. (I have ridden out West in South Dakota in July) I have the liner for the jacket but much prefer the electric liner one can get to the Darien liner(.either the Kantsu electric or the Gebring electric) In very hot weather, I wet down a hankerchief and put it around my neck or wet my shirt. I also wear under armor stuff and stay cool with this technique. put I always wear my jacket. Actually I wear the regular Darien more often than not. This is just my approach for riding in all weather, but I love my Aerostich stuff and when it is time, will replace with the same gear. I very hot weather the mesh jackets feel cooler but the moisture is evaporated away from the body. I keep it inside the jacket in hot and it actually kools the skin but still great protection. You can also take the pads out and use it for winter skiing. Good luck...

What are some good places to browse online? The places I typically look are mostly sportbike or cruiser oriented.

"IF" you are willing to go toward used or last years models,etc., See the places I listed.Many bike dealers , including BMW sell out the end of season stuff on ebay for great prices. I like Olympia and First Gear too and there are outlets on ebay that buy up the last year models,etc., and resell for a song compared to brand new. I frequently see c;oset cleaning sales on advrider where its obvious that some people buy this gear adictively and never wear it(in addition to weight changes and poorly selected gifts,etc.) and then sell it off. One consideration is you must invest some time to go this route as there is stiff competiotion for the deals. ebay auctions are several days or but it now and on advrider the good stuff goes really quickly. Paypal is a must to deal this way!
I took my brand new Revit jacket for a first spin yesterday and love it! I payed less than half the $400+ MSRP new price for NWT.
Main point is to know what you want-brand/size 1st! Also worth pointing out that some value to the idea that if you try something and bought at value then you can just put it on our BMW or advrider flea mkt and try something else. If you have 200k on the stuff it's yours(and earned its keep!) but if you tried it for a bit and then decide to try something else, no problemo... My current pants are $200 gear and I payed around $50 NWT as they had sat in a closet for a few years. The other route is decide what you want and just pay full retail with a visit via phone, web or travel to store...Fit is easiest the last way.

OLYMPIA X-Moto jacket (and pants!).

Just returned from 2,085 miles in the last five days - riding the Smoky Mountains of TN and NC with my son.

Jacket handled 90+ degrees (venting panels), dust, cooler mountain temps and kept me dry, comfortable and has more storage than a minivan. :thumb

Got a lot of compliments from various bikers at Deal's Gap about style and the high vis too!

The safest suit is probably the Motoport Kevlar Mesh outfit. I have one and it is a genuine "one suit for all conditions". The Motoport's only problem is the same as all liner based mesh suits, it takes a lot of time to change in or out of the liner. This is why the Aerostich suits are popular with the Iron Butt riders. With Aerostich all you have to do is pull on a zipper, and you are ready for rain, sleet, or heat. The problem with Aerostich is that they are not necessarily waterproof, and they have a difficult time in the heat range from 85-95 degrees compared to a mesh suit. I also have to wear less clothing to stay warm in my Motoport than my Aerostich. In fact, I can be comfortable cold weather riding with no electric gear other than heated grips wearing my Motoport, but I can't do that with the Aerostich.

Newenough

Go to www.newenough.com. They're got several manufacturer's stuff there. Firstgear has a couple that would likely fit your bill, along with a couple of others. I've bought gear for myself and several members of my family. Their customer service is top notch if you need to return something.

This posting cost me some money, today. :banghead

My R2P pants are falling apart. I just ordered the Roadcrafter pants with the bib top to replace them. I'll use it with the R2P jacket as long as it lasts.

Thanks for the idea (I think :laugh)

Back