• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Mileage???

royce

What tire mileage can I expect on my F800ST? My first BMW and I have no idea what to expect in terms of tire tread longevity.

BTW, I ride solo, keep the tire pressure at spec (36/42) and ride within the speed limit most of the time.

it really depends on a lot of factors like which tire, how you ride it and the road conditions.

I got 8,655 miles out of the stock Metzelers but then 16,831 miles out of a set of Michelin Pilot Road IIs. I always ran the stock tire pressure (36/42) and checked it once a week. This was mostly commuting and one long trip; 3K miles, solo but with luggage for two :)

it really depends on a lot of factors like which tire, how you ride it and the road conditions.

I got 8,655 miles out of the stock Metzelers but then 16,831 miles out of a set of Michelin Pilot Road IIs. I always ran the stock tire pressure (36/42) and checked it once a week. This was mostly commuting and one long trip; 3K miles, solo but with luggage for two :)

That's a huge difference between brands of tires, 8,600 v. 16,800!!! Unusual to see that much difference simply from switching brands. My two-month old F800ST, of course, has the stock Metzelers and I will watch closely to see early signs of wear-out.

Thx for the reply.

That's a huge difference between brands of tires, 8,600 v. 16,800!!! Unusual to see that much difference simply from switching brands. My two-month old F800ST, of course, has the stock Metzelers and I will watch closely to see early signs of wear-out.

Thx for the reply.

There are lots of variables. On Voni's R1100RS with BT54 tires, she got a high of 14,200 and a low of 6,100 miles on rear tires but averaged 8,400 miles per rear tire over the first couple of hundred thousand miles. Same bike. Same Rider.

The difference between high and low was easily traceable to where and when she was riding. Summer on abrasive chip sealed roads in Colorado and New Mexico vs. fall and spring on Kansas machine laid asphalt.

On her F800S with PRII tires I've seen a spread of as much as 50% difference - again same bike and rider, riding on different types of roads.

I think trying to guess tire life based on other riders is very difficult unless you know a lot of details about where and how they ride.

I think trying to guess tire life based on other riders is very difficult unless you know a lot of details about where and how they ride.

Yes, Paul, you're correct, of course. But since I'm on my first-ever BMW I'm just trying to gauge the size of the "tire problem" I'm gonna have to live with for the foreseeable future. On several previous bikes (a heavy sport-tourer and a couple of heavy tourer-cruisers) I got better-than-expected tire mileage (routinely more than 15k) by keeping the pressure at the high end (42-44 front and rear) and checking the pressure almost every time I rode. However, on my geezer-sport (FZ1), I used the same techniques, but got poor tire mileage (significantly less than 10k). Probably had something to do with the fact that I could not resist that power surge in every gear. Think I'm gonna hope for 10k on the F800ST. I can live with that.

BTW, is there any mileage advantage to keeping the pressure higher than the book recommends ((36 and 42)?

Over 93,000 mile on my 800S and then 23,000 miles on an 800St I averaged around 10,000 miles on the rear tire and the fronts averaged around 20,000 miles with a high of 28,000 miles on the front; I think I had one rear tire go as high as 14,000 miles. I did have 3 flats so those tires only lasted 5 to 8 thousand miles. I used Bridgestones and Metzlers and Shinko tires.

Back