• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Digital cameras

Hi:

Is the magnets in a magnetic tank bag harmful to a digital camera? or more specifically harmful to the memory card?

I've carried various digital cameras, including my Rebel XT, in my Marsee magnetic tankbag for a couple of years now. The magnet in that tank bag is HUGE. I've never had any kind of problem.

WOOT has an 8 megapixel camera this morning for $120. Prices are dropping like a rock. And the price of film chips is matching the drop in price.

If any of you folks ever see one of those wide angle camerss please PM me.

The ISO of this morning's woot is only 400. Still not a bad price...

Wide angle like what? My new Canon SD900 can do that stitch shot panorama thingie, and also has wide mode.

Another +1 for the Canon A710 IS. I added one of those to the fold last week.

The WOOT deal is fine for a if I loose it, I won't cry too much.

Just took a look at all the specs of the A710 IS. Definitely a winner. It uses AA batteries and has image stabilization. 6X zoom. And it is the right size to fit in jacket.

Nice piece of kit.

Nikon D200

I carry Nikon D200 with 18-200mm VR lens in a Lowepro small video camera tucked away in the saddlebag.

For Nikon photographers ... what lens(s) do you carry with you.

I did not carry my Nikon to 2006 National Rally in VT due to lack of space, but I took Canon S40 4.1 megapixel camera. It was okay, but didn't replace my dSLR.

Carry Two

Two works better. The P&S can be in the tank bag or inside the jacket. By the time you dismount and get the SLR out a great picture can be lost. Shot quickly from the saddle and then

-stop bike
-dismount
-take off helmet
-take off gloves
-get key
-unlock bags
-get SLR out of bag
-remove lens cap
:banghead

That used to be my routine. Now I keep the A700 at hand in front and take the quick shot first. If the scene is spectacular the eight steps above always apply. Always ride with other photographers. Only they understand the need to stop and go and stop and go. But it pays off at the when, at the end of the day there are lots of great shots to share.

Last edited:
Always ride with other photographers. Only they understand the need to stop and go and stop and go. But it pays off at the when of the day.

Yeah, no fooling. I'm still kicking myself for shots I missed 20 years ago.

"I'll see that again."

"Nope. I haven't."

We all could use this link

Check out this link for archiving photos.

A sample from the site:

"Image Archiving
By Michael Schwarz

As photographers begin to accumulate huge collections of digital images, the importance of creating functional archives of the images becomes even more critical. A good image archive combines a secure and dependable method of storage along with a logical strategy of embedding metadata into the images so that the archives can be searched to allow quick location of specific images.
"

Two works better. The P&S can be in the tank bag or inside the jacket. By the time you dismount and get the SLR out a great picture can be lost. Shot quickly from the saddle and then

-stop bike
-dismount
-take off helmet
-take off gloves
-get key
-unlock bags
-get SLR out of bag
-remove lens cap
:banghead

That used to be my routine. Now I keep the A700 at hand in front and take the quick shot first. If the scene is spectacular the eight steps above always apply. Always ride with other photographers. Only they understand the need to stop and go and stop and go. But it pays off at the when, at the end of the day there are lots of great shots to share.

OR.... You can carry a dslr in a holster on your chest and a monopod accessible w/o dismounting and get fantastic wide shots that are difficult with a P&S.

Back