• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel strip poll

Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

• Total voters
No one is listening if they don't know about it.

Don would you mind posting a new call to all owners that have had fuel strips fail to report the failure to the NHTSA. I know that you have asked voters to do this several times but maybe by putting a sticky post up with a direct link to the NHTSA website would help to get them motivated. If the NHTSA received 200 reports in one week I bet that would get their attention. I have not had a fuel strip failure but I would like to see BMW NA stand up and address the problem.

Thanks again for posting this poll.

Voted wrong.
2005 RT
On third strip, first two on warrantee, last one replaced by me at 44,000 miles. Think it costs me $130 US.

NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

I just noticed this thread. I've had my 2007 R1200R since new, and have not experienced a problem with this part. 50,000 miles and slowing (due to buying a second bike in 2009). My 2009 F800GS likewise has not suffered a failure after 25,000 miles.

Fred

06 R1200RT
I've had 5 strips fail if you include the one that failed on the bench while MAX's was calabrating it.
The first one was at about 34K Then just inside 2 years for each one after.

08 k1200s

Two strips failed. One at about 12k and one at about 23k. I wish someone would come up with a practical solution to make that part more reliable. All these frequent failures can't help the brand reputation. I've heard people say it is the alcohol in the U.S. fuel, and I've heard one person say heat causes the strips to fail. Perhaps BMW had hundreds extra of these strips made at $2 each, and there is a celebration in the parts sales department each time there is an out of warranty failure.

Could you imagine the up roar if 60% of the new iphone 5s failed?

It just amazes me that according to the poll 60% of the voters have had one or more failures and there is not a group uproar aimed at BMWNA. Again I thank Don for putting this poll up so everybody can see how bad the situation is.

But heaven forbid that someone from the MOA contact BMWNA and find out what BMW is going to do about it. Let's just be a bunch of sheep and whine about it but don't dare ask anybody to hold BMW accountable.

I bet if your new Lexus was in the shop for a couple of weeks at a time and kept having the same problem over and over(even if it was covered by warranty) that you would be raising cane and would not ever consider buying another Lexus.

I feel for the fuel strip, final drive...... and others that have had to deal with BMW's lack of taking responsibility for the issue.

Sure problems happen in manufacturing and products fail. But BMW tries to blame it on ethanol, they knew we have ethanol in our gas and failed to manufacture a product that would work in a ethanol environment.

Nobody likes ethanol, but it is not ethanol fault, it is BMW's poor product design.

Answered this poll (had a feeling that answering could be tempting fate). Looks like my fuel strip failed today on my 2008 RT. 1.5 months short of 5 years ownership, I bought it new from the dealer. I will find out for sure tomorrow morning.

Update today July 5th...
I answered the poll a few weeks ago, and of course that was a NO FAIL.

Today, just replaced the failed (yesterday) fuel strip. $225 canadian, + 1 hour labour at $108 per hour (usually two hours but they had my tank off already doing something else for me) = so with tax this little fuel strip replacement cost $372.96 Canadian.

How's that for spending money.

And today, Oct 17, 2013, the July replacement failed two weeks ago. Had it replaced today. That one failed not 8 km from the dealer. I did NOT go back today.

I am going to see what the dealer suggests now. I am also wondering if their mechanics have a clue as to what they are doing!

It just amazes me that according to the poll 60% of the voters have had one or more failures and there is not a group uproar aimed at BMWNA. Again I thank Don for putting this poll up so everybody can see how bad the situation is.

But heaven forbid that someone from the MOA contact BMWNA and find out what BMW is going to do about it. Let's just be a bunch of sheep and whine about it but don't dare ask anybody to hold BMW accountable.

I bet if your new Lexus was in the shop for a couple of weeks at a time and kept having the same problem over and over(even if it was covered by warranty) that you would be raising cane and would not ever consider buying another Lexus.

I feel for the fuel strip, final drive...... and others that have had to deal with BMW's lack of taking responsibility for the issue.

Sure problems happen in manufacturing and products fail. But BMW tries to blame it on ethanol, they knew we have ethanol in our gas and failed to manufacture a product that would work in a ethanol environment.

Nobody likes ethanol, but it is not ethanol fault, it is BMW's poor product design.

I agree with you. I will be calling BMW of Canada on this issue re: my own experience.

I thought you moved onto a Suzuki V-Strom and said goodbye to the BMW brand?

Back