• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1200GT/R-Series Recall Notice!!

To save people having to take the time to check the ADVRider, here are the Service Bulletin excerpts posted there:

Situation
Note
Editorial note: All earlier versions of this Service Information are rendered invalid by this supplement. The SI
has been radically revised, and this is the reason why the individual changes are not marked.
A combination of unfavorable tolerances can mean that the brake lines installed on some motorcycles
with BMW Motorrad Integral ABS generation II might be under strain.
The vibrations that occur when the motorcycle is being ridden could cause the front brake lines
to develop leaks, allowing brake fluid to escape. If this happened it would cause the level of fluid
in the reservoir of the front brake system to drop. If the level drops until the reservoir is completely
empty the result can be failure of the front brakes.
Under rare circumstances there is even a possibility of the new-geometry front brake lines (sequence
of bends) developing leaks on high-mileage motorcycles.
Motorcycles affected
The technical campaign has to be extended to include the R 1200 GS Adventure (K25/02,
0382/0397), R 1200 RT (K26, 0368/0388) and K 1200 GT (K44, 0587/0597) models and the
R1200GS, GSA without BMW Motorrad Integral ABS generation II (option code 0630).
The following motorcycles with BMW Motorrad Integral ABS generation II are affected:
ÔÇó R 1200 GS (K25, 0307/0317): All motorcycles up to end of production
ÔÇó R 1200 GS Adventure (K25/02, 0382/0397): All motorcycles up to end of production
ÔÇó R 1200 R (K27, 0378/0398): All motorcycles up to date of production may 05, 2009
ÔÇó R 1200 RT (K26, 0368/0388): All motorcycles up to date of production May 01, 2009
ÔÇó R 1200 ST (K28, 0328/0338): All motorcycles up to end of production
ÔÇó K 1200 GT (K44, 0587/0597): All motorcycles up to end of production
ÔÇó R 1200 GS (K25/11, 0303/0313) With BMW Motorrad Integral ABS generation II (option
code 0630): All motorcycles manufactured in the period up to November 07, 2008
ÔÇó R 1200 GS Adventure (K25/12, 0380/0390) Without BMW Motorrad Integral
ABS generation II (option code 0630): All motorcycles manufactured in the period up to
May 06, 2009
All motorcycles affected by this campaign will be issued a new special defect code.
Service Information No. 22/2008
Inc - Service Information No. 43/2008
Technical After-Sales Service / Warranty
34 Brakes
2nd SUPPLEMENT to technical campaign:
Conversion of brake lines, front
R 1200 GS (K25), R 1200 GS Adventure (K25/02),
R 1200 R, R 1200 RT, R 1200 ST, K 1200 GT
R 1200 GS (K25/11, 0303/0313),
R 1200 GS Adventure (K25/12, 0380/0390)
Service Information No. 22/2008
2nd SUPPLEMENT to technical campaign:
Conversion of brake lines, front
Page 2 / 7
See the local systems for technical campaigns (DMS, DCS Net, S-Gate, IWS, OSCAR
Monitoring etc.) for an updated list of the motorcycles affected.
Series solution
Brake lines of a new, considerably more robust design and fitted with sleeves (see Figure 3)
have been in use in series production since May 2009 for the R 1200 R (K27, 0378/0398) and
R 1200 RT (K26, 0368/0388) models. Production of the other models affected had ceased by
that date.
Series solution
R1200 GS / GSA
Brake lines of a new, considerably more robust design and fitted with sleeves (see Figure 3)
were introduced into series production as of the dates listed below:
ÔÇó November 08, 2008: Motorcycles with ABS
ÔÇó May 07, 2009: Motorcycles without ABS

And the 2nd supplement.

Service solution
The spare parts in question were changed to brake lines with sleeves (see Figure 3) in May
All the motorcycles in question have to be fitted with these brake lines with sleeves. Motorcycles
that have already been fitted with the new-geometry (sequence of bends) brake lines but without
the sleeves (see Figure 2) within the framework of a technical campaign will have to be
converted a second time.
You are requested to notify customers who are owners of these motorcycles of the situation
immediately, either by phone or by sending them a copy of the enclosed letter, and arrange a
date and time to have the work stipulated for this technical campaign undertaken. In the case of
motorcycles still on your premises, you are requested to undertake the work involved before
your customers take delivery.
Note
Every motorcycle that has already been fitted with a brake line with sleeve within the framework of a technical
campaign (see Figure 3) is logged in the applicable system; these motorcycles are not affected by this
campaign. In the local systems for technical campaigns, these motorcycles are not flagged with a new
special defect code.
Motorcycles without ABS that are affected by this technical campaign must be converted in
accordance with attached work item 00 00 221.
The description of the conversion procedure for those motorcycles with ABS that are affected
by this technical campaign is included in the Repair Manual (construction group 34) of the current
RSD.
The descriptions of the work items (with/without ABS) 00 60 220 / 00 60 221 will be published
for all models on the RSD (Repair & Service Data BMW Motorrad) service-data DVD edition
06/2010 and later editions.
Note
The work item in the attachment for the R 1200 GS (K25/11, 0303) applies by analogy for the R 1200 GS
(K25/11, 0313) and R 1200 GS Adventure (K25/12, 0380/0390) models.

"Told" my dealer about it last friday after reading it here on BMW MOA homepage.
Was told to call back in about a week and they will let me know when parts are to arrive.
Massive recall apparently.
My 1st recall out of the 3 BMW's I have owned.

Could be worse, could be HD.:whistle

I received an email reply from my dealer suggesting that BMW has not issued a recall concerning brake lines. Has this recall been made official?:scratch

Looking at the verbage, it appears it is a Technical campaign as opposed to the full on Recall notices we have received relative to stalling, etc. Based on that same information as provided by MarcoPolo, it appears the dealer should be contacting you to schedule an appointment if your bike is included in the affected group. Though the link provided by Peter on May 19 shows that "BMW has announced the recall of...." it does not indicate an official NTSB (don't have my paperwork in front of me, not sure it this is the correct agency) recall in the way the stalling issue has been dealt with....official letters from BMWNA advising affected owners to contact a dealer to resolve the problem ASAP. But there has been enough information out there about the brake line problem in a limited number that this should not be a surprise to any dealer. But it appears to be a technical service bulletin vs 'Recall'.

Am I covered?

Do I have to be the original owner of the bike to get this type of work done for free?

Back