• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can't Wait for publication

PAULBACH

This touring tip will appear later in the year but it is so good the forum members and visitors should have it now.

Take a small spray bottle and fill it with hydrogen Peroxide (undiluted). At the end of the day's ride spray on bugs who have given their all. It will foam-up, like on a cut, and within a minute the bugs will wipe off with little or no effort. I have used it on painted surfaces, windshields, glass and face shields and it has not caused any apparent damage. You might want to try a small spot to make sure there are no reactions. Enjoy the clear view and lack of bugs.

Wayne Wright #42780

NB: Many tips comes in with "Pledges" of good things to apply to bike finishes. As Wayne points out always try the new treatment on a small spot to make sure no damage will occur to paint or plastic.

Anyone have a suggestion of where to obtain a small spray bottle? Dollar store maybe?

you mean poeple actually clean thier bikes?? How bizzare! :laugh

I only clean the windscreen on my R100/7 once a season, generally at the end of the year. Before I clean it, I count the number of bugs and devide that by the number of days I rode it, then multiply the result by 12 and that gives me the number of miles I've ridden her...(the odometer hasn't worked since 2000, so its the only way I have to when to change the plugs and tune it, etc).... Ha Ha!

RM

Anyone have a suggestion of where to obtain a small spray bottle? Dollar store maybe?

I'd look in the "travel sizes" section of the local drug chain..... assuming I didn't already have a bottle in the house I could empty out.

I've found that these small spray bottles tend to leak and drool particularly when I ride through big altitude changes. So I try to pack them in an upright position and put them in their own little plastic bag. I haven't tried packing them with a soft wiping rag, but the leaking might be useful then.

I've found that these small spray bottles tend to leak and drool particularly when I ride through big altitude changes. So I try to pack them in an upright position and put them in their own little plastic bag. I haven't tried packing them with a soft wiping rag, but the leaking might be useful then.

Now there is a rider who knows how to make lemonade out of lemons. :thumb

Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer that can take the color out of your hair ("bottle blonde"?). Uh . . . maybe OK, but I don't think I'm going to spray it on my paint. :eek

Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer that can take the color out of your hair ("bottle blonde"?). Uh . . . maybe OK, but I don't think I'm going to spray it on my paint. :eek
3% H2O2 is commonly used as an oral disinfectant rinse. If you can put it in your mouth, it ain't gonna eat your paint.

However ...

85% H2O2 + Kerosene = V2 rocket fuel!

3% H2O2 is commonly used as an oral disinfectant rinse. If you can put it in your mouth, it ain't gonna eat your paint.
However ...
85% H2O2 + Kerosene = V2 rocket fuel!
True enough...your paint will be fine and so will plastics. It's the metal - aluminum, steel and copper - that will get hit. Lots of wires and connectors near the fairing of a bike. Too many cheap alternatives on a per use basis to mess around with peroxide. The stuff is hell on skin and destroys good tissue in healing wounds and under scabs.

I know, it sounded too good to be true.

Water is all I use anymore. I found nothing works any better, though some of the cleaners leave a nice shiny gloss that doesn't help seeing through the screen or shield. Best is a wet rag left to soak the bugs a minute or so. Soft GPS screens may require lens cleaner.

Note that anything other than water on mirrored face shields is risky if you want to keep the coating intact.

Fred

Back