• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

back rack R100RS

JGREGOR1.JG

Hey guys
Was there ever anything actually made to fit this tiny rack? Like a small top case or something? Does anyone have any recommendations?

IMAG0352_zpsdb7a0b75.jpg

Hey guys
Was there ever anything actually made to fit this tiny rack? Like a small top case or something? Does anyone have any recommendations?

IMAG0352_zpsdb7a0b75.jpg

Just my opinion but.....I think the best ever for the Airhead was the Reynolds , extending rack. In the normal position it was 'forward' over the tail section, but the rear could be raised slightly & then pulled back, to access the tail section / under seat storage .....without any removal of anything......it was slick! It was also strong and about 9X9 ?...and had provision for mounting a back rest, you could mount about anything on it. I'm sure others here are familiar.

If you cruise ebay, etc I'm thinking you could find one. There is a place called Re-Pscycle BMW in Lithopolis , Oh. They 'specialize' in older BMW parts / accessories.....I'd suggest starting there if you're interested.

I have an 85 R80RT that I bought new. I think that was the first year for this rack. I do not believe that BMW ever made a hard case for that rack since the rack is not tied into the rear frame - just the fiberglass tail. They did offer a duffel bag with straps that matched the slots in the rack.

I bought the BMW duffel bag and I think that the paperwork said not to put more than few pounds of gear in it. I use it to carry a backpacking tent and ground cloth since the tent poles can be put in the bottom to keep the bag from sagging onto the paint.

I think that the police versions of these bikes had a small top case, but I can't recall what that case was mounted on. One of the online fiche sites would probably show those parts.

I have an 85 R80RT that I bought new. I think that was the first year for this rack. I do not believe that BMW ever made a hard case for that rack since the rack is not tied into the rear frame - just the fiberglass tail. They did offer a duffel bag with straps that matched the slots in the rack.

I bought the BMW duffel bag and I think that the paperwork said not to put more than few pounds of gear in it. I use it to carry a backpacking tent and ground cloth since the tent poles can be put in the bottom to keep the bag from sagging onto the paint.

I think that the police versions of these bikes had a small top case, but I can't recall what that case was mounted on. One of the online fiche sites would probably show those parts.

I would like that duffle..Right now just looking for something with a small footprint

I had one on my 92 RT when I bought it. With the hinges in the rear, it emptied itself one day when the wind blew the lid open. May be another candidate for the universal Airhead bungee or nylon strap (plus it doesn't hold much). I now use that space for a RotopaX mount.

Same problem

I had one on my 92 RT when I bought it. With the hinges in the rear, it emptied itself one day when the wind blew the lid open. May be another candidate for the universal Airhead bungee or nylon strap (plus it doesn't hold much). I now use that space for a RotopaX mount.

I've had two of those, one on a R100RT, the other on a K100RT. On both bikes I had the lid open at speed because I did not latch it correctly, other than that they worked fine.

Wayne

I'll keep my eye out for a 22 litre top case. Thanks guys

From what I've been told and read, the 22 litre top case for the first generation K bikes and the airheads are the same. However, the top case requires a different rack than what's on your bike. I looked into getting the top case from my 88 RT, but never did.

Edit: I never explored the case much, due to the cost of the support brackets. $350 new from BMW. I haven't seen many with the bracket for sale.

Last edited:
I think I just have to find a soft roll bag or something that will just bungee on. Or maybe just leave it as is for odd shaped stuff to bungee on. Have yet to hear anything good about the 22l top case.

Something good: it's original equipment and looks like it. I think you can match key to the others.

Something good: it's original equipment and looks like it. I think you can match key to the others.

That is a good point. As noted already, the rack you have is not the correct one, but it is close. Here is a photo of the factory box on my RT. It does match the other luggage and it works. Just be sure it is latched before riding off, since it swings to the back to open. If latched, all is ok.

Wayne

Attachments

• Sharon on RT.jpg
    Sharon on RT.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 195
That is a good point. As noted already, the rack you have is not the correct one, but it is close. Here is a photo of the factory box on my RT. It does match the other luggage and it works. Just be sure it is latched before riding off, since it swings to the back to open. If latched, all is ok.

Wayne

I like it. Would rather have that on and side cases off for the work commute. Just carry my lunch and rainsuit is all.

It's not been mentioned, but typically anything high and aft of the rear axle can destabilize things. It gets worse if there's a substantial weight there. Just having the box can create something for the wind to push on.

That is why I have hesitated on buying the top case. I'm thinking about looking for one though. My son is six and I'm hoping in a few years he will be tall enough to ride on the back. Having the top case there as a backrest would be beneficial as would the additional storage. I prefer to ride with the side cases, since they provide some protection in case I drop the bike. Basically the side case cover is about 1/3 the cost to replace than the exhaust/silencer/muffler. I don't know if having the top case on with the side cases is better, worse or no different.

My two cents again. The box cannot carry much, it is too small and the latching hardware is nothing to brag about. There is a quarter-turn ring inside that locks two pins to a plate slid on the rack. It never gave me any problems, but I also never let Sharon lean against it. It is just not that strong and I did not trust it. I often left my bags at home and used it to carry my lunch and store my gloves. I never put anything heavy there.

Go back and look what Kent posted. Item 5 is the latch, notice those two pins sticking out? They are not that strong, and the spring/lock the fit into is also weak.

Wayne

Until the adoption of the K-bike suspension and associated frame modifications with the 1985 models, BMW forbade top boxes on Airheads. It's not that suprising, then, that the box they finally approved is small. They do engineer this stuff.

Note: BMW forbids sidecar attachment to all its motorcycles since 1970, too--not that that stops anybody.

Two cultures in play here: Americans think it's cute. Germans think it's illegal.

Back