• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

To K or not to K?

ch2ous

I am trying to make a huge decision. Should I trade in my beloved ÔÇÿ07 GS for a ÔÇÖ10 K13GT with all the fixins. I canÔÇÖt think of any reason that I donÔÇÖt want my GS other than the desire to have a long distance sport tourer with an emphasis on sport. I canÔÇÖt afford both. After three years with my GS IÔÇÖve noticed that my desires are more suited towards road sport than the road/enduro style options. IÔÇÖve explored and enjoyed this way of life but havenÔÇÖt grown full bore into all that the GS offers. It certainly doesnÔÇÖt disappoint in either category. In fact I think it is the very best all around motorcycle IÔÇÖve ever owned.

However, the K1300 has seeded my subconscious with a little devil that taunts me from my left shoulder. I blame my dealer because I was permitted to test drive the S with a large group during a rally. I quickly became enamored with it despite the claustrophobic parade pace of the procession. I kept thinking that riding a bike of this caliber is the closest IÔÇÖll ever get to flying an F-18 Hornet to work everyday.

The K mantra seems to be ÔÇ£complex by choiceÔÇØ but what does that really mean? Off the bat, I am concerned about the total cost of ownership. Having admitted that, is this a rhetorical question that can only be answered; ÔÇ£if you have to ask, then you canÔÇÖt afford itÔÇØ? :ear

Seems the comfort of the riding position has some to do with it as well. The GT probably isn't all that differant from the GS you have, though your feet might be back and higher. I have a K12S and love it, do my own oil changes but not the valve adjustments (I did them on my '00 K12RS). I haven't found the cost of ownership all that bad, but if you start getting speeding tickets...............

The good news is that it seems BMW will continue to buiild the GS for many years to come, whereas the K13GT is done, so if after 2 years you decide you miss the GS, sell the GT and go get another GS. It seems the new 1600 GT and GT/L are differant enough that the resale on the 1300 will/should remain pretty good, a whole differant market segment than what is now offered.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

I am very tall so riding position will be an important factor. I put an aftermarket wind shield and wings on my GS to help push a little more air over and around me for the longer straighter rides at 70mph. While it was a considerable improvement in lowering wind noise and fatigue for my head I imagine the GT's aerodynamics and more than ample power plant improving the experience of higher speed riding overall.

Unfortunately, I haven't actually driven a GT only the S and didn't have the chance to get it up to highway speed for any length of time. The test drive was short enough to walk away distracted with a seed of obsession planted. Its taken a couple years to mature into me actually justifying and planning the transaction. I know I could always return to old faithful GS....... but I'm still uncertain that its worth the process to try...... :scratch
I guess thats why I posted I need a push one way or the other. There are plenty of people around me (wife) that don't share my enthusiasm for such extravagance.

The largest drawback to not having a GS, IMO, is the lack of versatility. While you may not ride off pavement very often, you do have that option when the urge strikes.

Perhaps renting a K13GT, when the "need for speed" gets too great to ignore, is a viable option.

Tom

Good point, the "S" and GT aren't the best off road bikes, though mine has seen plenty of dirt roads as it seems my buddy Doug (Shorty) has a way of finding them when it is his turn to lead..............

You know life is good when one of your larger concerns is which BMW to ride :p

Well as it turns out, the GT I had my eye on sold over the weekend on eBay before I could get a deposit down. :doh The dealer has some other choices that I'd have to talk myself into but they haven't made me an offer I simply can't refuse in order to take the plunge. I'm going to sit on this decision for a while longer. The worst thing that could happen is I accesorize my GS a bit more and find some trails to explore. Maybe the itch ( rash) will pass.....

I appreiate the input from you folks...

Since getting my GSA the GT is ridden less. :lurk

You speak to flexibility - then it is the GS

If you want road pounding efficiency with tremendously easy terminal speed - the GT

As to cost of ownership - oil changes are easy, there is no tranny service and the final drive is the same.

The valve check can be done but could be differed to the dealer

Really depends what you want to do....

Semper_Fi,
I DO want "road pounding efficiency with tremendously easy terminal speed " as well as all the other sensational bits. You've inspired me.... lookin at a Candy Apple Red '09. :heart

Attachments

• CAR 09 K1300GT.jpg
    CAR 09 K1300GT.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 229
But I will stay with my GS. Trading her away like a used up race horse and parting with another $8-9k to get on a GT makes me feel :sick

Everytime I look at her, I smile and imagine the first ride of the late winter early spring.
The smell of her pipes burning off the crap that accumulated during the long cold slumber in her shed.
Slopping through the slushy, muddy hell of the northeast in March and not thinking twice about cleaning her up after I dismount.
She will start everytime, take me anywhere and she's paid in full :bow

Attachments

• GS in March.jpg
    GS in March.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 228
I'm no longer torn, but my savings are about to be gutted.

I put a deposit on an 08 K1200GT this afternoon. :clap

GO K, all the way.
You can always get another GS if you discover the K doesn't work for you, but as it stands right now you won't be able to get another new K13GT once the existing inventory is gone. My dealer checked today and there was a grand total of 7 K13GTs in the US channel, all in Apple Red and all equipped the same- pretty much all the goodies except GPS and topcase, and those are still available separately of course. And while they are expensive, as dinero-destroyers the K13s don't come close to the 6-cyl GT (over $25k as quoted by dealer) and GTL ($26300 quoted).

Go K!:bow:clap

Best,

GTRider

:newtoy Well, I did it. Looks like I'm going to "K" after all. I put a deposit on a candy apple red '10 K1300 GT (basically the one pictured in an earlier post). All I can say is, my dealer is awsome.... really, no trace of :deal .... so far. They made me an offer I simply could not refuse. I will be making the final arrangements tomorrow to swap out my trusty steed :cry Im excited but nervous.

Thanks again for your friendly posts :wave

I'm going K too. Mine will be an 08 K1200GT in dark blue with low miles and all the options. :dance

I'll still have my F800GS, but my R1100RS is destined for a new home.

I am trying to make a huge decision. Should I trade in my beloved ÔÇÿ07 GS for a ÔÇÖ10 K13GT with all the fixins. I canÔÇÖt think of any reason that I donÔÇÖt want my GS other than the desire to have a long distance sport tourer with an emphasis on sport. I canÔÇÖt afford both. After three years with my GS IÔÇÖve noticed that my desires are more suited towards road sport than the road/enduro style options. IÔÇÖve explored and enjoyed this way of life but havenÔÇÖt grown full bore into all that the GS offers. It certainly doesnÔÇÖt disappoint in either category. In fact I think it is the very best all around motorcycle IÔÇÖve ever owned.

However, the K1300 has seeded my subconscious with a little devil that taunts me from my left shoulder. I blame my dealer because I was permitted to test drive the S with a large group during a rally. I quickly became enamored with it despite the claustrophobic parade pace of the procession. I kept thinking that riding a bike of this caliber is the closest IÔÇÖll ever get to flying an F-18 Hornet to work everyday.

The K mantra seems to be ÔÇ£complex by choiceÔÇØ but what does that really mean? Off the bat, I am concerned about the total cost of ownership. Having admitted that, is this a rhetorical question that can only be answered; ÔÇ£if you have to ask, then you canÔÇÖt afford itÔÇØ? :ear

Man if you think you've got problems... I own a 2009 K1300S (see below) and I want an R1200GSA bad. The trouble is I won't give up the K so I have to enter another two-year negotiation with my wife (that's how long the K purchase took). I can assure you that if you have migrated to sport touring or long-distance touring from enduro riding, you are not going to be sorry with the K-bike (or probably the RT for that matter).

The K has power "out the wazoo" and is "smooth as butter" (those are both technical terms and I should know, I'm an engineer). In the end, I think both bikes are outstanding for different reasons and you just have to decide what kind of riding you're most likely to do. But be aware, you can forget going off-road with your K-bike. I almost killed myself on an unpaved gravel road last summer (no fun at all).

Kent

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
The trouble is I won't give up the K so I have to enter another two-year negotiation with my wife (that's how long the K purchase took). Kent

Tell me about it.... I'm an engineer too.....a sales engineer, it took me 2 hours :fight and in the end....., :love

However, I am paying dearly by letting my beloved GS go...:cry

P.S. Nice neighborhood.... Good taste. The bike matches wonderfully.

2008 k1200s

That is an addictive motorcycle. Smooth delivery of incredible power. I put about 28k miles on mine in 18 months and want more.

But get ready for the traffic tickets... 5 in 12 months. And I rode it to Chaco Canyon in NM without any thought of trouble.

Everyone to their different tastes.

Me & K12S.jpg

I have thought that I would like a GS but I can't make myself let go of my K-GT. I love the power and the way that it will chew up miles on long trips. I'm heading to North Carolina in April to see my kids and won't think twice about getting on the bike and going. :bikes

I guarantee you'd love the GS for all the reasons we've stated here and more that you just can't explain. I am having a really hard time letting it go. I wish I could have both but I just can't swing it. Im hoping the experience with my new K will be just as rich.
Also, don't kid yourself, traffic tickets were a problem on the GS too. However, it is considerably understated as looks go and allows for a tiny bit more wiggle room. If you are interested... some experiences with the police:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=44784&page=4

Back