• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stranded with coolant leak

beairmo

Hi Guys and Gals...

Sorry my first post has to be for help.

I am in Colorado Springs competing in a rally and need some advice.

My bike fell over on the right side. Was on the side of the highway picking my glove which I dropped. Ground was not level and bike tipped over on the right side.

Got some help from a good samaritan passerby and got it upright. Bike started up so I took off. 5-10 miles down the road I had the red triangle of death flashing and coolant was coming out at a low to moderate rate on the right side. Temperature indicator was pegged. Fan was running too. I let it cool down and got another few miles down the road before it was maxed out again hot.

I called BMW roadside service and they got me a tow to Colorado Springs and now I am waiting until Tuesday and the BMW dealership opens.

I am assuming the weight of the bike on the running light end up putting pressure on the radiator or hose and made a leak.

1. Any ideas of what might have broke that caused the leak? I haven't had the fairing off so not sure what all is in there.

2. Any suggestions on how to get a quick fix so I can get back on the road? I have the tools to get the fairing off. Bike is under warranty so I don't want to do anything to void that. But desperate to get riding again.

3. Any other suggestions for rental bikes or loaners? I have to be on a bike to compete in this rally.

Thanks,
Barry
317-999-7893

Not the water pump.

What happens when the bike overheats? Where would the overflow be if it boils over?

I know the coolant reserve is in the front but couldn't find the overflow hose. Not sure why the bike would overheat unless I lost coolant pressure?

When the bike went over, did you see coolant on the ground? How much- a real guess? Was the bike running? Some of these "newer" engines can get "air-bound" when they take a "nap" or get turned upside down.
Tough way to make it to the forum, welcome!
Gary

Right side could be the water pump. It's exposed. I'd check that first.

Ive been MOA member for years. I lurk on here occasionally. Mostly post on Facebook but Rally rules prevent me from accessing facebook while rally in progress.

Bike was not running when it fell over. And no coolant was present (that I noticed) where it fell over.

I have my anonymous book with me and considered making some calls. But got busy this morning working on one of my GPS (Nav 5) which is really screwed up and not routing properly. Trying to do the update and it keeps failing....Arrrgg. I have a Zumo 665 also but really need both.

Once I get the Nav5 working I think I will start calling around. Even 12 hours earlier on the road makes a huge difference in point scoring.

Head over to k1600forum.com and as the gurus there. There are reports of bike being 'totaled' by the insurance companies when they fall over without engine bars. The blocks are aluminum and exposed to damage without them unfortunately.

I called BMW roadside service and they got me a tow to Colorado Springs and now I am waiting until Tuesday and the BMW dealership opens.

Let us know what the shop finds today. Hopefully it's air in the cooling system and will be easy for the shop to fix.
Good luck on completing your rally.

Let us know what the shop finds today. Hopefully it's air in the cooling system and will be easy for the shop to fix.
Good luck on completing your rally.

Not so lucky as to it being something simple like air in the system.

Since I don't have engine crash bars, the weight of the bike rested on the flood light which pushed in on the outside of the radiator. This made a very small hole in the plastic and caused the leak.

Had to pay expedite fee but new radiator should arrive this morning and I will be back on the road. Total bust for the rally I am in but I learned a few things for next time.

A big shout out to Pikes Peak Motorsports BMW in Colorado Springs. They are taking really good care of me getting the bike in and figuring this out.

Anyone got a set of engine guards they want to sell and live between Denver and Reno? I will be high tailing it to Reno this afternoon. If this were to happen again I would be very unhappy. Cost of repair is over $1300 not including the cosmetic damage to fairing and flood light.

Anyone got a set of engine guards they want to sell and live between Denver and Reno? I will be high tailing it to Reno this afternoon. If this were to happen again I would be very unhappy. Cost of repair is over $1300 not including the cosmetic damage to fairing and flood light.

Ouch
eek.gif
Not cheap, but cheaper than a engine case.
Thanks for the update.

These bikes should come with engine guards as standard equipment

Since I don't have engine crash bars, the weight of the bike rested on the flood light which pushed in on the outside of the radiator. This made a very small hole in the plastic and caused the leak.

Had to pay expedite fee but new radiator should arrive this morning and I will be back on the road. Total bust for the rally I am in but I learned a few things for next time.

A big shout out to Pikes Peak Motorsports BMW in Colorado Springs. They are taking really good care of me getting the bike in and figuring this out.

When I removed the fairing for mounting engine guards, I could see the potential hazard. Fog light mount is directly in line with side of radiator. This is not a freak accident but a design flaw. Your misfortune should be warning for anyone riding this bike w/o engine guards. Hope you have a better ride on the way home.

When I removed the fairing for mounting engine guards, I could see the potential hazard. Fog light mount is directly in line with side of radiator. This is not a freak accident but a design flaw. Your misfortune should be warning for anyone riding this bike w/o engine guards. Hope you have a better ride on the way home.

Got the bike back yesterday afternoon and high-tailed it home with tail between my legs. Since I didn't make it to Reno, I couldn't score any bonuses and not enough time to get to Reno and Back. I will try again at another rally.

Just in case somebody reads this who is on the fence about getting engine guards.... Don't wait! The hole in my radiator is huge and the bike just barely fell over. Here is a pic.

In a pinch, I have used a rubber washer, steel washer and a properly installed self-tapping screw to stop a leak like that........And get me back going.
OM

In a pinch, I have used a rubber washer, steel washer and a properly installed self-tapping screw to stop a leak like that........And get me back going.
OM

I considered that. But I was heading into the Phoenix and then Death Valley and knew it was going to be super hot. But definitely need to add radiator repair kit to my onboard supplies. If it would have happened on a weekday and not a holiday weekend, I would have salvaged the rally. But lost 4+ days on this one with it happening on Sunday morning before the 4th.

Some screen (metal or plastic) and some epoxy - metalic (JB Weld) or otherwise is a good thing to carry, or to at least think about if somesuch damage happens to you. I don't carry it, but have bought it at convenience stores twice in my riding career.

Wouldn't insurance cover a lot of that?

Back