• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Well....I went, I saw and I bought one. I just bought some steel for a project and as I look at the steel in the HF lift, I couldn't buy the steel for that kind of money locally. I kinda like the idea of wings and that extended "track" for the front wheel so I'll have to get thinking on adding a few pieces to it. OM

What? What was wrong with laying/kneeling on the floor:laugh

I have been spoiled having room for more than one...had all full the other day and had to kneel on concrete doing work on another bike...my back and knees were not happy at day's end!

I need to modify one with that extended channel set up...one of these days:whistle

Enjoy the new "tool":thumb

Harbor Frieght now $429 for manual in Tucson> (manual/hydraulic) no discount certificate.
Located on West INA.

Jack
J

I've been eyeballing the HF MC lift but I also found out that they do not sell them with the electric or Pneumatic lifts options anymore. I stopped at a friends shop today and he had the air type lift from HF he bought some years ago and loves it. The only difference I can see is that there is a pneumatic actuator looking gizmo underneath that raises this thing up. Is it possible to buy this thing anywhere and adapt it to this unit? I'm not trying to be a big whaaaa but I really don't want to be pedaling this thing to raise my bike. Anyone ever try this? If so how?

lifting front wheel higher when bike is on lift

hi all,

i bought this lift a month or so ago and i love it. i wanted to see what other people are doing in order to raise the front wheel higher than the center-stand will raise it, once it's up on the lift.

thanks,

-eric

These lifts still sell on sale (every month!) for about $299. See your motorcycle rags for the coupons.

On occasion, when I need to lift the bike (usually the rear wheel), I use a floor jack on the lift.

Habor Freight Motorcycle Lift

That lift in the floor is really slick. Kudo's. Unfortunately my garage (single) is pitched to the middle and center of the floor to a central drain so no go for me.

mike wex
'96 r1100rt

I built a hydraulic lift for my bikes about 19 years ago, it sure beats crawling around on the floor.................Rod.

10 years now:)

Had my HFT lift 10 years now, not one issue:). It began life lifting my KLT1200 and now a half dozen bikes later and my current GSA1200, still performs perfectly. I real workhorse lift. Mine is manual foot pump original model and not one leak or anything wrong in 10 years of a lot of use. That KLT was always over 800 lbs., no problem. I too use the table lift for a table work area when I need it. Sure has made life easy, servicing bikes and no knees on concrete:). Im glad to see they still make this lift, as parts IF ever needed will be easy to get. Randy

I finally got one

With a $299.99 coupon that a friend gave me from the back of a Cycle World in hand I grabbed my brother and his van for a trip to a Harbor Freight store that had one in stock. I'd read up and knew to get some extra hydraulic oil (using the Harbor Freight 20% off coupon next to the lift coupon). I also had them throw in the free multi-meter that came with another coupon. We loaded the lift into the back of his van and drove to my place where the two of us were able to unload it and get it placed in the garage.

Yep... the lift needed about 4-5 oz of hydraulic fluid to top up the reservoir. I knew that the supplied wheel vice was crap. No problem. I've a Condor chock that will mount up quite nice. The lift platform has a lip that stick up about 15 mm and the Condor has a cross brace that stick out about 30 mm on each side of the platform when centered. The idea of cutting the Condor to fit didn?t appeal to me. Instead I made a vertical cut on the lip about 100 mm from the end of the platform with a dremel tool and bent the lip down by grabbing it with a large crescent wrench. A sanding drum on the dremel tool got rid of sharp edges. The red paint chiped off where I did the bending, of course. I should hit the areas of no paint with some primer to keep it from rusting. Later. I centered the Condor stand on the platform and then drilled two holes through the stand and platform. I used some of the hardware meant to mount the vice to attach the condor. Done. Works quite well.

p-131301622-0389.jpg

p-131311215-0393.jpg

How easy is it to move this lift around, if need be? It does not come with an extended lift handle or anything like that to move it right? I ask because some other model have this feature which can be pretty handy.

How easy is it to move this lift around, if need be? It does not come with an extended lift handle or anything like that to move it right? I ask because some other model have this feature which can be pretty handy.

The lift has two wheels and two casters. The easiest way to move it, when it is empty, is to raise it all the way up, so you don't have to bend over, and just push it around like a table with wheels on it (which it is).

Very easy.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:

Well, yes it rolls, but not well enough to make you want to push it very far unless the surface is very smooth. It is going to damage any type of painted surface you roll it over. I roll mine about 4', against the side of the garage when I choose to have more floor space in my tiny garage.

You can see how tiny the castor is in the pic. It is that tiny black thing.

feb%2010%20004-M.jpg

I picked one up a few months ago and really like. It sure makes it easy to work on the bike and really saves the old back. And when you aren't working on the bike & need another table in the garage it comes in handy for that too. I got it for $300 with coupon and think it's worth every penny.

Question, tho...the wheel chock that comes with it leaves a lot to be desired. I've read that there's another motorcycle chock from HF that works much better. I've found 3 or 4 of them on their site but can someone tell me which one (by part number) is best to use?

Olsensan...as answered, it can be rolled after lowering stabilizer feet, but, it's kinda heavy and doesn't always roll exactly where you want it as the larger wheels are not casters. Just the small set.
Markaz, I'll see if there's a part number...I ended up just using the u-bolts and tie-down straps when I need the extra security. The larger vise clamp always seems to be in the way of wheel removal on the front, and the roll-in chock seems to do the same if any front wheel work is desired.

It was a sale that took place at Harbor Freight 3 1/2 years ago. I'm assuming there aren't many on the forum that have much experience as to the differences nor the quality in lifts. Good be wrong on that. I'm also assuming that specific lift is no longer available although I don't know that for fact. Thought the info might be helpful to others. Presenting various options is usually considered helpful. Is there a problem with that?

You know some assumptions may be quite wrong...

We have been chatting lifts regularly here for some time. There are lot's of opinions between brands, most wrenchy types DO know the differences and quality of lifts and this model does what they want.

Same lift basically for the last 7 years from Harbor Freight that I know about.

I have 3 :stick one is a buddies that I store/use all the time as well.

it can be rolled after lowering stabilizer feet

I think you mean raising the stabilizer feet.

seems to be in the way of wheel removal on the front, and the roll-in chock seems to do the same if any front wheel work is desired.

I put a platform scissor jack under the center of the bike and raise it enough to remove the rotating portion of my chock -- about a 10 second job with my Condor chock. That gives me plenty of room for some front wheel work. When I need more room it takes about 20 more seconds to remove the vertical portion of the chock. The condor is quite good that way. If I need access to the rear wheel the same scissor jack can raise the bike enough for me to lower the center stand by hand. When I lower the jack so the bike is on the center stand. I also have some U bolts at the front of the lift to tie down the front end if needed.

Let's see if I can this correctly this time. Not as inexpensive as Harbor Freight but maybe better quality?

http://www.klsupply.com/

The CHEAPEST K&L goes for about $1600 with some of them over $2000! To say that you've missed the point of this thread is an understatement.

Any of us could find a quality lift if we were willing/able to spend that kind of money. There are dozens of companies out there, but that's not the point of this thread. :dunno

This thread is about a $300 lift. If you know of a similar priced lift, we're all ears.:ear

:dance:dance:dance

I think you mean raising the stabilizer feet.

I put a platform scissor jack under the center of the bike and raise it enough to remove the rotating portion of my chock -- about a 10 second job with my Condor chock. That gives me plenty of room for some front wheel work. When I need more room it takes about 20 more seconds to remove the vertical portion of the chock. The condor is quite good that way. If I need access to the rear wheel the same scissor jack can raise the bike enough for me to lower the center stand by hand. When I lower the jack so the bike is on the center stand. I also have some U bolts at the front of the lift to tie down the front end if needed.

:laugh:doh

I did mean raise...
On some of our bikes, there isn't a "good " place to use a scissor jack...some I have done that with however. I also use some PitBull lifts on the HF table ...like on the R12S and K12S w/out centerstands

Back