• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1999 R 1100 R alternator belt

Bud

It is what it is.
1991 R 1100 R Alternator Belt-merged with 1999

Anyone know the correct aftermarket number for that belt? I have a NAPA store in town so that would be best but I'm sure they could cross reference any brand other than BMW.

Thanks in advance for the correct answer. :wave

Anyone know the correct aftermarket number for that belt? I have a NAPA store in town so that would be best but I'm sure they could cross reference any brand other than BMW.

Thanks in advance for the correct answer. :wave

Why not just buy the belt from your BMW dealer? It is a specific 4-rib poly-v groove belt in a small size not common to a lot of engines. Plus its less than $25.

Thanks for the answer.

I'm looking for an after market replacement. Not the BMW part number.

Why not just buy the belt from your BMW dealer? It is a specific 4-rib poly-v groove belt in a small size not common to a lot of engines. Plus its less than $25.

Because I live 70 miles from the nearest dealer and I have an auto parts place in town. :wave

I bought one from NAPA for my RT but when I sold the bike, the spare belt went with it. Unfortunately I didn't keep the sleeve with the part number on it.

fwiw, the GatorBelt is a reall good "almost perfect' fit for the early alternator belt setup. it's just a bit long. might be best to consider it as an "in a pinch" replacement, rather than a "go to" option. if installed, i'd leave it on (ran one for several years, no real issues), but probably not installing as a first chioce.

Ok, I understand. BMW dealers aren't a dime a dozen like the HD guys. Although, it does give you a reason to ride to the dealer.

I have learned, that from being on the dealer side of the parts counter, we really do appreciate seeing repeat customers.

Actually, a good thing to do is write the NAPA part number in the owners manual, or somewhere under the plastic (under the belt cover) in case it should ever fail on the road. At least NAPA stores are far more common than BMW cycle dealers.

Actually, a good thing to do is write the NAPA part number in the owners manual, or somewhere under the plastic (under the belt cover) in case it should ever fail on the road. At least NAPA stores are far more common than BMW cycle dealers.

Since they don't weigh much or take much room I just carry one with me on long trips. A broken alternator belt will just wreck your whole day...

That's a great idea. I just checked mine at 23K this winter since I was in there replacing the HES anyway. Had fun picking the tiny glass and teeny pebble bits out of it. It'll probably go to 40K now!

Since they don't weigh much or take much room I just carry one with me on long trips. A broken alternator belt will just wreck your whole day...

Yes, the last broken belt happened 5 miles from home.:thumb

Sure was glad to have a spare on the bike and tools not far away.

I asked the PO if he had ever had a new belt installed and he said "Don't think so."

New one will be here on Monday, same day as the new master cylinder for my boat trailer disc brakes. Busy day on Monday. :groovy

Dayco, (company I used to work for) makes automotive belts, and Dayco makes a belt for the Oilheads.

Dayco Polycog 5040240, 4PK0610

I've had one in my bike for the past 45,000 miles. I have an extra I carry on the bike.

Dayco, (company I used to work for) makes automotive belts, and Dayco makes a belt for the Oilheads.

Dayco Polycog 5040240, 4PK0610

I've had one in my bike for the past 45,000 miles. I have an extra I carry on the bike.

BMW maintenance schedule calls for belt check/re-tension every 6000 miles and full replacement every 24000 miles. You are coming up on double the recommended interval so you'd best have a close eye on it!

They are known to break things when they finally fly apart so not worth waiting for total failure.

Back