• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"The Harley Rodeo" in Red Lodge the Weekend of the MOA National

mike m

I planned to ride from the National up the Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth into Red Lodge but I found out that the Harley Rodeo is planned that weekend. I don't have any problem with H-D's, I just don't want the big congestion that usually is associated with HD Rallies. I can't think of anything less exciting than riding those classic roads for the first time behind long lines of Milwaukee's finest.:banghead

Anyone familiar with the Harley Rodeo in Red Lodge? Does it attract alot of riders?

[Q ...I can't think of anything less exciting than riding those classic roads for the first time behind long lines of Milwaukee's finest.:banghead

Anyone familiar with the Harley Rodeo in Red Lodge? Does it attract alot of riders?[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance in this matter. My experience with HD riders is generally limited to watching them disappear in my rear view mirror....:wave :wave :wave :nyah :nyah

[Q ...I can't think of anything less exciting than riding those classic roads for the first time behind long lines of Milwaukee's finest.:banghead

Anyone familiar with the Harley Rodeo in Red Lodge? Does it attract alot of riders?

I'm afraid I can't be of much assistance in this matter. My experience with HD riders is generally limited to watching them disappear in my rear view mirror....:wave :wave :wave :nyah :nyah[/QUOTE]

And lets not forget all of the trailors required to get all of those bikes there so they can ride. :stick

Yeah, a couple of 'em maybe; not so easy when you have to get around 30 or 40 of them - and they are not cooperating...

Jets and Sharks ?

Gee, I wonder what our twowheeled bretheren think about sharing the road with a bunch of Beemers.

Two ideas here!

Beartooth is a JAW Dropper kind of road and if you are riding it the first time, you'll be just like all those HD riders, going slower to look see at all the vista's. Next time, you'll be equally impressed and maybe a little quicker and spirited in your ride around the excellent twisties the pass provides. I have ridden it several times and find it so extreme and the sights so great, its hard to not stop along the waysides way UP THERE on top of the world:). If you ride this fast, which is fine indeed, you will need to go back and enjoy it like an HD rider, to take in the massive appeal of this pass,imo....Randy13233

Gee, I wonder what our twowheeled bretheren think about sharing the road with a bunch of Beemers.

We may share two wheels but I'm not sure whether they are "brethren" :lol ...

From the Beartooth Rally website:
244978519-M.jpg
244978524-M.jpg

Riding Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills can be about as good as motorcycling gets. And, riding Spearfish Canyon during the week of the Black Hills Motor Classic in Sturgis (Bike Week) amidst a group of some very poor riders can be almost as unfun as it gets. I did both last year.

One need only look at the accident statistics around/during the several great American wobblefests to know that there are better places to be on a motorcycle than right there right then.

:lol Those pics of me and the boys were supposed accompany an article in Flea and Tick Quarterly. I even trimmed my underarms. :lol

Going down the Road of Life we're all "bretheren". Share the road.

Riding Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills can be about as good as motorcycling gets. And, riding Spearfish Canyon during the week of the Black Hills Motor Classic in Sturgis (Bike Week) amidst a group of some very poor riders can be almost as unfun as it gets. I did both last year.

One need only look at the accident statistics around/during the several great American wobblefests to know that there are better places to be on a motorcycle than right there right then.

You're right. And it is unfortunate that the few make it dangerous for so many. I'm not saying that it would not be nice to have an open road with unscarred vistas to enjoy. Nothing to clutter the mind except the moment. What I'm saying is, it ain't gonna happen. If it's not the wobbler, it's the five RV's strung out in front of us. We're all out there, trying to enjoy the time we have away from whatever we left behind. The best we can do is be mindful and enjoy the ride.

You're right. And it is unfortunate that the few make it dangerous for so many. I'm not saying that it would not be nice to have an open road with unscarred vistas to enjoy. Nothing to clutter the mind except the moment. What I'm saying is, it ain't gonna happen. If it's not the wobbler, it's the five RV's strung out in front of us. We're all out there, trying to enjoy the time we have away from whatever we left behind. The best we can do is be mindful and enjoy the ride.

Which is why, now that we are retired, we live where we do: 53 twisty miles to town where on a busy day we might pass one or two cars and meet 3 or four.

Brethern

I'm hoping more folks out there agree with Rik's remarks than disagree...
Calling your fellow rider your brother doesn't necessarily mean you want to be just like him, and maybe that sentiment is mutual, which might be one more thing you have in common.

The only time I've had someone call a bike of mine a tractor was when I rode my old K bike to an October 'moa meeting a couple of years ago :scratch

I'm hoping more folks out there agree with Rik's remarks than disagree...
Calling your fellow rider your brother doesn't necessarily mean you want to be just like him, and maybe that sentiment is mutual, which might be one more thing you have in common.

The only time I've had someone call a bike of mine a tractor was when I rode my old K bike to an October 'moa meeting a couple of years ago :scratch

I know what that's like. I had my first K75 for almost 19 years and 370,000 miles. It morphed into a bike with an 8.5 gallon gas tank, solo seat, and big FLH trunk. I proudly labeled the rear of the trunk with little letters - K75FT. "Farm Truck", of course.

Last edited:
Too many HD on an island

The year the MOA rally was in VT we went to Nova Scotia. The weekend we were there about 8,000 HD riders were also there. Getting behind a group of them is not now I wanted to ride on those great roads. They did not like being passed or breaking up their riding order. You could see all the brake lights come on every time they came to a curve. Plus the loud noise from their bikes. I do not like to ride like that.

Becky

Never Die HD!

I hope to never see the HD mark go away, even never owning one myself and riding Beemers for 35 years. We just need to open a HDBMW riding school and give them some help:). Noise? Now this is another issue:(. You know the stock HD's are rather quiet! The owners simply do not leave them this way:(. An American Heritage in our only American M/C. I think its a cool bike. Leave 'em be and pass them as needed. I have found, however some HD riders of great ability and passing them would be a great challenge. Not many though. We all have our riders and then, RIDERS.....You know if ever caught behind a really large group and you cannot get around without some disgrace, know when to take a "break" and let them go. Never be in such a hurry, "you" are the problem:). Randy13233:usa :scratch

I hope to never see the HD mark go away, even never owning one myself and riding Beemers for 35 years. We just need to open a HDBMW riding school and give them some help:). Noise? Now this is another issue:(. You know the stock HD's are rather quiet! The owners simply do not leave them this way:(. An American Heritage in our only American M/C. I think its a cool bike. Leave 'em be and pass them as needed. I have found, however some HD riders of great ability and passing them would be a great challenge. Not many though. We all have our riders and then, RIDERS.....You know if ever caught behind a really large group and you cannot get around without some disgrace, know when to take a "break" and let them go. Never be in such a hurry, "you" are the problem:). Randy13233:usa :scratch

:thumb

The year the MOA rally was in VT we went to Nova Scotia. The weekend we were there about 8,000 HD riders were also there. Getting behind a group of them is not now I wanted to ride on those great roads. They did not like being passed or breaking up their riding order. You could see all the brake lights come on every time they came to a curve. Plus the loud noise from their bikes. I do not like to ride like that.

Becky

I too would like to be "wise", but wisdom says I must admit to the truth.

Becky's statement does not express she was in a hurry. She just stated "I do not like to ride like that".

Nor do I...

Back