• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Insurance premiums....

Progressive will give you an immediate quote online, no need to speak with anyone. (At least in CA; I suppose other states might be different.) If nothing else, have a comparative data point in hand when you call your insurer.

Progressive will give you an immediate quote online, no need to speak with anyone. (At least in CA; I suppose other states might be different.) If nothing else, have a comparative data point in hand when you call your insurer.

Sound thinking, James, Thank you. I shall do that.

BC Canada

2008 RT. with maximum safe drivers discount included for me.

3 million Liability through BCgov't by mandate $1274. (Liability ins mandated, not the 3 million)
Rest through private insurer $714

If did all ins with BC gov it exceeds $2800 per year.

My 2011 Lexus 350 convertible costs less to insure

Try Progressive

When I got my beemer, I called my agent. She got me a quote from Progressive that was about 1/4 of what our regular underwriter quoted for less coverage. She said she is a rider and also insures with Progressive.

2008 RT. with maximum safe drivers discount included for me.

3 million Liability through BCgov't by mandate $1274. (Liability ins mandated, not the 3 million)
Rest through private insurer $714

If did all ins with BC gov it exceeds $2800 per year.

My 2011 Lexus 350 convertible costs less to insure

Sounds like a case of "Open your wallet and repeat after me - 'Help yourself'..."

Ouch! :jawdrop

When I got my beemer, I called my agent. She got me a quote from Progressive that was about 1/4 of what our regular underwriter quoted for less coverage. She said she is a rider and also insures with Progressive.

Even online at Progressive, with the same coverage, I am seeing over 50% reduction in premium.

So - what's the tie-up between Markel and MOA??? I've been looking for a reference online, but nothing I can see - yet I'm sure when I joined BMWMOA in 8/2011 there was documentation provided by/from/about Markel???...

Just curious!!...

I've got coverage through Markel with the MOA discount.

2 bikes - 04 GS and 05 Star 650 Silverado. Gear coverage, towing and supplemental medical coverage. Two riders, too.

Premiums for past two years about $430/yr.

Yes, we have LOUSY credit, too. Hmmm

I am a USAA member and darn glad of it. AARP is an association of left leaning school teachers. I have never joined that ass-ociation and never will. USAA provides excellent service and their rates are reasonable, I checked rates and they beat all others for the same coverage with a wide margin.

Several years ago, I went insurance shopping for my motorcycles. I checked with a lot of folks but concentrated on the various associations and outfits claiming large savings for motorcycles. The rates varied widely with many of them but most of them had on thing in common. When questioned as to the insurance company, most were selling Progressive. For me, the best rate I found at the time was Progressive on-line. Since that time, other national companies have gotten their rates down but their adjusters don't know how to handle motorcycle claims. I was hit in the rear and found myself laying in the road about a week and a half ago by a nice 84 year old man who was insured with Allstate. I was sore but uninjured but my ride has damage to the rear and the right side. The Allstate adjuster looked at the damage promptly but had no idea what she was looking at (nice lady I have known for 30 years). They are still working on an estimate. Progressive has motorcycle specific adjusters that would have had the claim settled by now.

Several years ago, I went insurance shopping for my motorcycles. I checked with a lot of folks but concentrated on the various associations and outfits claiming large savings for motorcycles. The rates varied widely with many of them but most of them had on thing in common. When questioned as to the insurance company, most were selling Progressive. For me, the best rate I found at the time was Progressive on-line. Since that time, other national companies have gotten their rates down but their adjusters don't know how to handle motorcycle claims. I was hit in the rear and found myself laying in the road about a week and a half ago by a nice 84 year old man who was insured with Allstate. I was sore but uninjured but my ride has damage to the rear and the right side. The Allstate adjuster looked at the damage promptly but had no idea what she was looking at (nice lady I have known for 30 years). They are still working on an estimate. Progressive has motorcycle specific adjusters that would have had the claim settled by now.

That's interesting, because my head had begun wandering through thoughts about "...how well do each of these companies settle claims?..." The sharp end of the deal, sort of thing! Certainly, online, Progressive is showing ahead in the numbers race right now, and hearing that about knowledgeable adjusters... Hmmmm....

Insurance

I am 62 and have a 2013 R1200RT. I used to be a Prudential agent back in the late 70's and when I compared their auto (minus my commission) vs Erie Ins, Erie could not be beat. I have had Erie for over 30 years for all my cars and homes.

When I picked up my new BMW I had to shop around. I got a quote from Erie but I also got a quote from Foremost Ins (I read about it on one of these bike websites). With my AARP discount, Foremost completely wiped out Erie and that was with my Erie multi home and multi car discount.

Check into Foremost!!!!

I have NC Farm Bureau for almost $580 per year. Comparable quotes from Geico was $915 and Progressive $850. Guess I will keep what I have.

Just got my annual State Farm renewal. Live in Indiana's second largest city (approximately 350,000 in greater metro area). I'm 64, retired with one speeding ticket for 12 over in the last 12 years, no accidents for 20 years. Been with State Farm for over 40 years and have my home, two cars and umbrella liability policy with them.

On my 2013 R1200RT I have Bodily injury - 250,000/500,000
Property Damage - 100,000
Medical Payments - 1,000
$100 Deductible Comprehensive
$500 Deductible Collision
Uninsured Motor Vehicle - Bodily injury 250,000/500,000, Property damage 10,000
Underinsured Motor vehicle - Bodily injury 250,000/500,000

Total annual premium $347.91.

That's interesting, because my head had begun wandering through thoughts about "...how well do each of these companies settle claims?..." The sharp end of the deal, sort of thing! Certainly, online, Progressive is showing ahead in the numbers race right now, and hearing that about knowledgeable adjusters... Hmmmm....

Two weeks after my accident, Allstate finally made me an offer on my total loss. It was $700 less than the only comparable unit they found and about the same under NADA retail. All of the other comparables were different year models or listed in fair condition with excessive miles. The comparable units were as close as 138 miles from me to as far as 338 miles from me. How does that reflect local market value?

They sent it to the total loss settlement unit and away from my adjuster friend. This will be fun. I was an insurance adjuster for over 31 years and I will know more about the procedures and laws regarding claims settlements. I have 5 years to settle the property damage part and 2 years for my "injury".

Two weeks after my accident, Allstate finally made me an offer on my total loss. It was $700 less than the only comparable unit they found and about the same under NADA retail. All of the other comparables were different year models or listed in fair condition with excessive miles. The comparable units were as close as 138 miles from me to as far as 338 miles from me. How does that reflect local market value?

They sent it to the total loss settlement unit and away from my adjuster friend. This will be fun. I was an insurance adjuster for over 31 years and I will know more about the procedures and laws regarding claims settlements. I have 5 years to settle the property damage part and 2 years for my "injury".

...and isn't it the settling of claims that is the ultimate litmus test of an insurance company's real worth???...

That's part of my "concern" right now - not just choosing the cheapest premium for the highest cover, but also finding a company who settle claims equitably and swiftly. I have one such with my "cage" insurance (Travelers, if it is of any interest), but the picture on bike claims is still unfolding...

Back