• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

09 RA rally?

J

jeremell

There's nothing on the RA website yet. Well, nothing official. There is a forum thread wondering out loud about when and where.

Anyone on this board heard anything about the date and location for the 09 RA rally?

There's nothing on the RA website yet. Well, nothing official. There is a forum thread wondering out loud about when and where.

Anyone on this board heard anything about the date and location for the 09 RA rally?

VEGAS, Baby...................

:dance

I've been wondering also. Their best attended rallies have generally been in the Southeast. Since their rallies are generally in early June late September or early October, a cold snap can spoil the rally if it is up north. A friend told me it was quite cold in Michigan this year (said he wouldn't do that again). After Gillette, he pledged to not attend any more rallies west of the Mississippi. This is from a friend who has not missed either a RA or MOA rally since I have known him. He was very disappointed with the lack of vendors at both rallies.

Maybe the RA and MOA could work something out whereby they would have opposite features each year ie: city vs country Warm vs cold weather East vs west north vs south.

Hopefully this way we pain in the neck BMW riders would be able to choose our favorite aspects and not whine about these things for a year.

A friend told me it was quite cold in Michigan this year (said he wouldn't do that again). After Gillette, he pledged to not attend any more rallies west of the Mississippi. This is from a friend who has not missed either a RA or MOA rally since I have known him. He was very disappointed with the lack of vendors at both rallies.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Cold in Michigan's Upper penninsula in June?
I thought the weather was perfect.
Lack of vendors? Ever hear of the internet?
What about the ride?
The people?
Sheesh....

I think your friend needs to buy his undies one size bigger.

/Rant over/

Shoot ... they were practically in Canada this year in Houghton MI ;) I don't recall seeing you there Josh?? :stick

Josh was in Montego Bay, Jamaica working a 30 hour day. :cry

This new job has seriously affected my rally attendance and bike mileage. BTW: Don't vacation in Jamaica. It's not a nice place. Especially don't drive/ride there.

As for a rally site; I move for a spot further north around Lake Huron - anything north of Parry Sound would be great. :)

I've been wondering also. Their best attended rallies have generally been in the Southeast. Since their rallies are generally in early June late September or early October, a cold snap can spoil the rally if it is up north. A friend told me it was quite cold in Michigan this year (said he wouldn't do that again). After Gillette, he pledged to not attend any more rallies west of the Mississippi. This is from a friend who has not missed either a RA or MOA rally since I have known him. He was very disappointed with the lack of vendors at both rallies.

I agree with cheesewhiz. The temperature in the UP was some of the highest they had had. It was beautiful. OK, maybe if you live on the equator, it might have seemed chilly. But if your friend lives in the continental US, it should have been awesome. The SE experiences cold snaps too. It seems that attendance at rallies is difficult to predict based only on date and location. There are so many other factors that come in to play. Really, my only point on this thread was to point out that the earlier the annoucement of the date and location, that more people would be able to make the necessary arrangments to attend.

Vegas is awesome! But, is there camping out there? I've never camped in the desert.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Cold in Michigan's Upper penninsula in June?
I thought the weather was perfect.
Lack of vendors? Ever hear of the internet?
What about the ride?
The people?
Sheesh....

I think your friend needs to buy his undies one size bigger.

/Rant over/

Cold is relative and us folks in the south think differently than folks from Wisconsin. When you like to see, feel and try items before you buy, the internet is not a good choice. What works perfectly for one doesn't work at all for another (like helmets).

According to him, the ride was to get there as he left far better riding within 5 minutes of his home. He enjoys the people and always meets many friends there. But when you're 73 and your trip is over 6,600 miles before he got home, the enthusiasm takes a while to come back. He went from home to the RA rally in Michigan and then to Washington State for a vacation with his wife (she flew out) and then back to Gillette for the MOA rally before he rode back home. Sure hope I can do that at 73.

I heard Canaan Valley, WV also. And around the same time as the MOA rally. Just a rumor, but who knows. Canaan Valley would have been nice the last time -- except for the hurricane.

Vegas was a joke, taking it from a post a few years ago started by Harvey Cohen when people were complaining about the MOA rally in Charleston.

RE: the RA rally ... I heard several things, but the rumor I think might be closest to the mark is the Ozarks.

The RA is much more laid back than the MOA. I suspect they'll let us know as soon as they know. And by the way - yes, I have been a member of both clubs since I started riding.

:D
:thumb

WV would be perfect if it's back to back weekends. That's the rumor I'm starting. You heard it here first!
robert

I've also heard that it's Maine the week after the MOA. Being a vendor myself they really need to post this as early as possible.

I've also heard that it's Maine the week after the MOA. Being a vendor myself they really need to post this as early as possible.

I don't think this would be a wise move. In addition to having time to get there, vendors would need time to restock and those of us who don't live in the city would need time to catch up on projects at home (mowing lawns, attending to livestock, and many other things that need doing when you have a few acres).

Also, the significant other who stayed at home will not easily agree to the long absence from home and many companies don't allow back to back vacations due to workload division. The office I worked in before I retired let each employee pick their first week based on seniority and they it cycled through until all vacation was chosen. Two weeks in July was impossible.

Maine would be OK. But like I heard, it's going to be in WV. Probably er... Definetely Charleston. Yes Charleston WV,

Back