• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Planning on renting a bike in Italy

Hell, the very odd time, I pray for them to end like last summer when I had to get somewhere, but I refuse to take anything but the twistiest of roads...might as well stay home if I don't.

Couldn't agree more, I am plotting out a loose route for next summer, on the white roads as much as possible.

My run from Gasthof Winkler in Tr?Âpolach to Foxi di Vallarsa was a mere 438 km (272 miles), yet it took exactly 9 hours to get there.

My long time friend and his wife who joined me last June on a rental motorcycle for two weeks now knows the difference.

Sounds about right 45-55 Km/hr is not bad time. It is always amazing to listen to people talk about 500 mile days in the "twisties" and switchbacks in Colorado. The first doesn't exist in Europe on the fun roads, and Switchbacks don't exist on any paved road in the Rockies, I do know of 1 swithcback on the east coast, and a few hairpins, but one ride over the Manghen has more than exist in the entire US.

Couldn't agree more, I am plotting out a loose route for next summer, on the white roads as much as possible.

If you are ever coming south off the Nassfeld Pass, this is one road in the area worth taking...

Strada Provinciale Paularo - Upper Road

Sounds about right 45-55 Km/hr is not bad time. It is always amazing to listen to people talk about 500 mile days in the "twisties" and switchbacks in Colorado.

I checked my saved GPS track log. One section of that Monte Rest road took me 1h 45m with two short photo stops...to cover 68 kms, yup, 42 miles. Definitely not HD country.

As for those reports of those 500 mile day twisties, yes, all I can do is chuckle.

Thanks for additional info, Alex. You have me thinking again about the run to the Alps. Again thanks guy's for the packing tips. The plan is to take the most important gear in our carry on.

Thanks for additional info, Alex. You have me thinking again about the run to the Alps.

I really hope you do it. They'll be long days, but once you are back home, you'll have memories and hopefully the desire to go back for more. I wrote an article (see link below) on how to tour the Alps on the cheap.

Even after all my years touring there, the thought, "I wish more riders could experience this" constantly floats around in my head. Sure enough, last year a long time friend (along with his wife), who just got back into riding in 2009 after a 30 year break, joined me for two weeks on my 2010 Alps Motorcycle Tour. He and his wife were blown away. Needless to say, he isn't thrilled riding around here anymore; he is joining me on part of my 2011 Alps tour.

Thanks again Alex. I checked out your slide show and maps. Well done! One question,... if you were to rent a bike in Italy would you have a preference?

Thanks Dave

Thanks again Alex. I checked out your slide show and maps. Well done! One question,... if you were to rent a bike in Italy would you have a preference?

Thanks Dave

After having driven a 1980 BMW R65 with narrow European handlebars (1" rise) for my first ten years of touring the Alps, I sure do. You want an upright seating position with wide handlebars; any large dual purpose/dual sport type of motorcycle.

One-up, a 650 or 800 will do and two-up, I'd want a 1000 or larger. You want a low 1st gear.

You definitely want to be able to flat-foot the motorcycle and have a bit of a bend in your knees. Parking lots are one thing, the sloped roads in the Alps are another.

I have to say that my R1150 GS Adventure is good on most of the roads, except on the very tight uphill hairpins taken on the inside, especially when you are caught off guard and another vehicle is coming down the opposite direction. You need very good low speed control while also being able to handle a tight turn with about a 20+% grade.

Its unfortunate you cannot see what the grade is like, but the inside of the lower road in the pic is as tight as they get. Thats a narrow road shared with cars...
148878875_WaLGT-O.jpg

Thanks Dave

Agree on the "GS" style bikes, they are in there element on those roads. I will disagree a little bit on the size, I have spent a lot of time there on a F800ST solo, and an F800GS two up, and the F800GS is my favorite 2 up mount, I prefer it over the R11/R12GS bikes. Combined weight of the wife and I with gear and luggage was probably in the 550-600 lbs range, and the 800 has plenty of torque and power to handle the load.

Footing is important and the F800GS is tall, I am 6'1" and would not want to be much shorter to ride one. MY guess is you have a 50/50 chance of dropping the bike at least once, even if you have not dropped one state side in years. There are lots of narrow pull offs, to take pictures, narrow roads that may require stopping suddenly, and just a lot of stops, so chances increase significantly that your footing will be insufficient once or twice.

My wife and I rented a GT out of Munich last summer. We traveled with two checked bags. Both were duffel type. One contained 2 ridings suits and helmets. The other had two GT saddlebag liners and a topcase liner (each packed of course). We wore our riding boots.

Rent moto in Italy

Dave,

I love to ride in Italy and have connections with a rental/tour company in Italy, Central Itlay Motorcycle Tours http://cimt.it Check out what options might be available to you at the time you are going.

3-day rentals with CIMT are the minimum so it could work out for you. Take my advice and stay in the central part of Italy. There are many good roads and lots to see in Tuscany and surrounding areas. If you try to go to the Alps, you will be riding through some flat country to get there and would be wasting your precious riding time just to get to the Alps leaving you little time there.

Check out Francesco Venzi's site and see if there is information you can glean from it. I have much more advice about roads and riding in Italy and Europe, if you want some more, just ask.

Karen :blah

Also recently was in Italy and decided to use a rented motorcycle, found some new service of renting motorcycles in Italy. The prices are very nice and liked the conditions.
May be someone wondering what it's for service, so I'll leave their link here https://bookyourmoto.com/
In the near future I think again to go to Italy, be sure to use again the services of this company

Rent moto in Italy

I live in Rome, Italy, for a while. Here I started renting motorcycles, and so, if anyone is interested, I can always help with a motorcycle. By the way, I have a lot of BMW motorcycles in my garage.
You can see them on my website!
Or just email me, I will try to answer you and help:волна

Back