• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Is BMW more different now?

Hint, this post was originally written in 2006 and that's the year for that sales figure. At least that's what it says here...

Not everyone lives in your particular corner of the world.

"BMW must be doing something right, the R1200GS is the 5th best selling bike in the US"

This is an excerpt from your original post.

You were refering to my particular corner of the world when you wrote that rambling jumble of words.

In other words, your data is not relevant, because it does not apply.

I'm fairly certain BMW does not have a bike in the top 10 unit sales in the US market.

You somehow also magically cruntched the numbers to come up with the the 1200GS & 1200Adventure numbers combined made it the best selling bike....

"Note that if you combine the GS and the GS Adv it comes out number 1."

Yup BMW is very different in many ways from the /5 days you first wrote about. Some of the changes are pretty darn good. Upping the HP and torque brought the performance up as did the 6 speed gear box. Suspension upgrades improved handling and made it fun to hit the twisties.

Other things increased the complexity of the machines and IMO degraded the reliability factor considerably. Again IMO the cost of ownership, for the majority(or minority on the board here) who cannot for one reason or another do their own maintenance, has gone up sharply. It's much like owning a Jaguar from the late 1990's and 2000's. It is a great car but it is your mechanics best buddy.

Yup BMW is very different in many ways from the /5 days you first wrote about. Some of the changes are pretty darn good. Upping the HP and torque brought the performance up as did the 6 speed gear box. Suspension upgrades improved handling and made it fun to hit the twisties.

Other things increased the complexity of the machines and IMO degraded the reliability factor considerably. Again IMO the cost of ownership, for the majority(or minority on the board here) who cannot for one reason or another do their own maintenance, has gone up sharply. It's much like owning a Jaguar from the late 1990's and 2000's. It is a great car but it is your mechanics best buddy.

OP's question was really not about how BMW has changed over the years compared to where they were at some previous time, but how different are they know (and previously) to other m/c manufacturers.
(i'm in teacher mode right now. you failed that essay question, bucko. try a redo, and resubmit for an improved grade?) (smiley face added)

However, building off what you began--
think of the /5 bikes, and compare them to other bikes of similar vintage.
shaft drive BMW vs chain drive almost everyone else.
opposed flat twin BMW vs upright twins or singles from most everyone else, or V-twins from H-D or Guzzi.
weird sideways kick start BMW vs normal rotation for everyone else.
electric & kick start BMW vs kick start only most everyone else.
12 volt BMW vs 6 volt most everyone else.
motor that will last 50,000-100,00 miles before needing an upper end rebuild vs throw it in the garbage before 100K miles most everyone else.

yup- more different, even then.

Last edited:
BMW motorcycles are more different than most, but Moto Guzzi make the most differentest motorcycles.

Which only illustrates that "different" is wrong word to use.

BMW's clear goal is to be the most technologically advanced.

This supports the goal for their cars, which is the same.

"Old man bike" is well and truly gone. It's all about "sport" now.

And, you can call a boxer twin a nostalgic thing, but it truly remains a nice engine configuration, something that can't be said about a 45-degree V-twin.

"BMW must be doing something right, the R1200GS is the 5th best selling bike in the US"

This is an excerpt from your original post.

Uh, no. I didn't write that. Perhaps you should pay a bit more attention to who wrote what.

Uh, no. I didn't write that. Perhaps you should pay a bit more attention to who wrote what.

Yes, you are correct, my mistake.....but you did try to get you dig in with the my part of the world bit.

The OP was obviously tralking about the US market.....his data was wrong.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to the relevance of your statment.

Yes, you are correct, my mistake.....but you did try to get you dig in with the my part of the world bit.

The OP was obviously tralking about the US market.....his data was wrong.

Perhaps you should pay more attention to the relevance of your statment.

You both should be Bxxch slapped for waking me up!!!

Maybe this will help.

As a correction I will change the date to 2012, or so and remove the reference to the R1200GS as being the 5th best selling. I cannot find the exact source of the original post, over 5 years ago. I am sure some of you that are resourceful and energetic might find out more about the sales figures of the S1000RR and GS which are still doing pretty well. I would gladly include this in my updated snoozer. Since it is really about a US based club I will use US domestic sales figures if possible.

I will also change the spelling of "weird".

This thread is more different - mostly blue kool-aid with a hint of animosity

BMW strives to be innovative and technologically advanced to differentiate themselves from their competition. Sometimes that means adding innovations to an already identifiable package (boxers). Being distinctive is key to BMW appearing exotic or special and maintaining their customer base. Sometimes they are separated by a technical featue such as a paralever. Sometimes they find the opportunity to create a new market segment like sport touring or adventure touring. When others come to play in their arena, they try to maintain their edge (K1600GT). It will be interesting to see how they maintain an edge in the GS class as Yamaha and Triumph advance on their market. Will just being a boxer be enough? When they have to go play in someone else's pool, they try to be the absolute best (S1000RR). If BMW didn't stand out from other bike manufacturers in some way, I don't think they would be making bikes for very long. So I guess the way I see it, they have a brand reputation and truly their business built around being distinctive, innovative and technologically advanced; in other words, different. Following that path doesn't come without risk and sometimes their forward progress stumbles and doesn't produce their best motorcycle, but it still produces a BMW.

... So I guess the way I see it, they have a brand reputation and truly their business built around being distinctive, innovative and technologically advanced; in other words, different. Following that path doesn't come without risk and sometimes their forward progress stumbles and doesn't produce their best motorcycle, but it still produces a BMW.

I like that post, it certainly explains much of their differentness.

Last edited:
OP's question was really not about how BMW has changed over the years compared to where they were at some previous time, but how different are they know (and previously) to other m/c manufacturers.
(i'm in teacher mode right now. you failed that essay question, bucko. try a redo, and resubmit for an improved grade?) (smiley face added)

However, building off what you began--
think of the /5 bikes, and compare them to other bikes of similar vintage.
shaft drive BMW vs chain drive almost everyone else.
opposed flat twin BMW vs upright twins or singles from most everyone else, or V-twins from H-D or Guzzi.
weird sideways kick start BMW vs normal rotation for everyone else.
electric & kick start BMW vs kick start only most everyone else.
12 volt BMW vs 6 volt most everyone else.
motor that will last 50,000-100,00 miles before needing an upper end rebuild vs throw it in the garbage before 100K miles most everyone else.

yup- more different, even then.

Uh teach, perhaps you didn't really read the OP, here let me quote a part of it.

"I grew up looking at BMWs as the old man's bike that cost a lot, didn't perform but ran forever. Also a lot of quirky guys had them and some of them showed up at Alices and some were even pretty cool - but they were really an old man's bike."

Having started with BMW at the beginning of the /6 line, the description fits the /5 pretty darn well don't you think?

"Then BMW decided to change things up and increased the engine size to 900cc and put a bikini fairing on the thing - and hey that paint job was cool! I went to Laguna Seca and saw the R90S with Pridmore and McLaughlin riding them and they were damn FAST on these things sponsored by Butler and Smith. Man, they sounded cool too (should've heard the Ducati 900SS and the Guzzi LeMans too)."

Pardon me, but this looks pretty much like a chronological progression to me since he talks about the way bikes USED to be and how they changed as time went on. Kind of an as the years went on thing don't you think? Yes he does mention Moto Guzzi and Ducati but only as a comparison to sounds. It still does not negate the chronological progression specified in the BMW models the OP listed as changes.

Lastly if you want to correct my post in teacher mode, do you not think you should proofread your own for proper word usage first? The words "know" and "now" are not interchangeable nor do they have the same meaning. It is also proper to capitalize "I'm" as well. :nono

You ain't the only one to have been in the front of a classroom on pay status "bucko". :nyah:D

Uh teach, perhaps you didn't really read the OP, here let me quote a part of it.

"I grew up looking at BMWs as the old man's bike that cost a lot, didn't perform but ran forever. Also a lot of quirky guys had them and some of them showed up at Alices and some were even pretty cool - but they were really an old man's bike."

Having started with BMW at the beginning of the /6 line, the description fits the /5 pretty darn well don't you think?

"Then BMW decided to change things up and increased the engine size to 900cc and put a bikini fairing on the thing - and hey that paint job was cool! I went to Laguna Seca and saw the R90S with Pridmore and McLaughlin riding them and they were damn FAST on these things sponsored by Butler and Smith. Man, they sounded cool too (should've heard the Ducati 900SS and the Guzzi LeMans too)."

Pardon me, but this looks pretty much like a chronological progression to me since he talks about the way bikes USED to be and how they changed as time went on. Kind of an as the years went on thing don't you think? Yes he does mention Moto Guzzi and Ducati but only as a comparison to sounds. It still does not negate the chronological progression specified in the BMW models the OP listed as changes.

Lastly if you want to correct my post in teacher mode, do you not think you should proofread your own for proper word usage first? The words "know" and "now" are not interchangeable nor do they have the same meaning. It is also proper to capitalize "I'm" as well. :nono

You ain't the only one to have been in the front of a classroom on pay status "bucko". :nyah:D

ah, let's go to OP'soriginal question: "Did BMW change all of a sudden or has my favorite motorcycle manufacturer always been this "different"?."

Which then leads us to the query of "is it possible to be "different" from one's self?"

(i will take more points off in grading for content concerns than for grammatical/typo errors. wouldn't you?)

Yes. Folks think of "old guy touring bikes" but the S1000RR was their best seller in the U.S. in 2011. That is BMW being different than themselves in my book.

no argument with that line of factual reasoning.

(in fact, i had a discussion with my 24yo son just the other day around this idea)

Yes. Folks think of "old guy touring bikes" but the S1000RR was their best seller in the U.S. in 2011. That is BMW being different than themselves in my book.

As they were in 1973 when the R90S was introduced. It, too, wasn't an "old guy touring bike" (although I'm sure plenty of folks have used it that way).

As they were in 1973 when the R90S was introduced. It, too, wasn't an "old guy touring bike" (although I'm sure plenty of folks have used it that way).

A good analogy that can be expanded by noting the R90S Daytona Superbike win.

In the 2010s it may soon be MotoGP.

Back