• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best 300 mile loops

aaaaaa

It seems worthwhile to head south one morning and zig zag across all the roads in Cherokee National forest. Excluding the named favorites, Is there a northern loop that would include Jefferson National forest? I'm looking for about 300 miles in 7 or 8 hours.
Thanks aaaaaa

All these routes call for heading north on I 81. Aren't there any alternates say perhaps just north of Kingsport?

25-30 miles of I-81 isn't bad in this area and only takes a few minutes. I can easily avoid I-81 but i can't explain it because I don't pay attention to the road names or numbers. I'm just used to them. You can get off of I-81 at exit 1 and head to Gate City, Va and then onto Clintwood, Haysi and then to Grundy/Vansant on 83 to 460 S and back to Rt 19 and home. Maybe 150-200 miles + or -. I spent so many years wandering through the mountains handling insurance claims, I threw my map away.

If you happen to go through Grundy around lunchtime, there's a place called Bellacino's that makes really good sandwiches (and pizza and ice cream). Skip the chains and try them.

On the way to Johnson City, I spent the night in Wytheville, about 100 miles away. To stretch the ride the next day, I got on Rt 16 at Marion and rode the route backwards. Much, much nicer road than the Dragon. It has a whole variety of turns, from tight twisties where it goes over the ridges to nice sweepers in the valleys. Great road. Good surface, not much traffic. There's a newly paved stretch. On the north side of the new pavement, the construction trucks kicked gravel out into the turns. Other than there, the road is clean.

Yep, good food at Bellacino's, but it is a chain restaurant. If you do osbornk's route A, get fuel in VA as it is much cheaper than in WV. No decent places to eat between Grundy and Tazewell and between Tazewell and Marion. No fuel between Tazewell and Marion.
Breaks Interstate Park is a nice halfway point for lunch, or a picnic lunch if you prefer to pack one.
My personal choice would be "B", but at Marion I'd continue south on 16 to US 58 at Volney (food and fuel), then go east on 58 (this road's a hoot!) to Damascus. Then south on 133 into Tennessee and the mandatory stop at Shady Valley. Then straight on to Johnson City via TN 91 (also a hoot!). North on I-26 to the rally site.
Actually, I'd do this ride in reverse (I-26, then 91, 133, 58, 16, 19, 80, I-81) only for the reason of the beautiful view of Thompson Valley that you have after cresting the third mountain between Marion and Tazewell.

All these routes call for heading north on I 81. Aren't there any alternates say perhaps just north of Kingsport?

here you go.

the first three rides are what you're looking for.

and if you like dual-sport, check out the "3 state ride" too.

ian

Back