• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

11th Annual BMW Campout, Somerset Pa, June 2013

gsjay

11th Annual BMW Riders Campout

Somerset, Pa
June 14, 15, 16, 2013

11th Annual Laurel Highlands BMW Riders Campout
FatherÔÇÖs Day Weekend. Bring Dad, bring the kids!

We return to Pioneer Park Campground located in south central Pennsylvania. Pioneer Park is a terrific full-service camping resort with excellent showers and facilities, minutes away from the Pa. Turnpike Exit #10, Somerset, Pa. or the Donegal exit #9.

Directions: From Somerset, Rt. 31 W. 7 miles to campground.
From Donegal, Rt. 31 E 12 miles.

Admission is just $45.00 for the full weekend ($40 if pre-registered) and includes, two nights camping, three meals, loads of door prizes, self-guided ride info and 11th Annual rally pin for the first 100 pre registrants.

Somerset is home to the new National Park at the Flight 93 crash site. Frank Lloyd WrightÔÇÖs masterpiece Fallingwater is 40 minutes away. You are only 30 minutes from Historic Johnstown Pa, and its Flood Museum and National Park. There is great riding in any direction with many self-guided tours available.

Friday evening enjoy Gourmet Dump Stew (bring a can or 2 to add to the pot), hotdogs & snacks till their gone. Morning Coffee & tea.
Saturday Catered dinner with Chicken & Beef, tons of door prizes.
Hearty send-off breakfast Sunday morning!

Pavilion, picnic tables, hot showers, campfires allowed-wood provided! Motels & Restaurants nearby. Sat. night campground band!

Discount for one night, not camping or 16 or younger.
Downloadable pre registration form:

http://www.thevuelta.com/CampoutRegistration2013.pdf

Info: George Blackham IV, gjbiv1stsgtusmc@yahoo.com
or Jason Kaplitz; gsjay@kaplitz.com (814) 535-8669
Pre-registration appreciated- Send check/name/ contact info to:
LHBMWR C/O 840 Basin Dr. Windber Pa. 15963

Pictures from last year

Anyone have pictures from last years campout that they would like to share?
jason

This sounds like a good time, I will have to try to make it down for that this year. What kind of attendance do you normally get for it?

I have been trying to get to this event for the past several years, but always ran into conflicts.

I'm curious about the Saturday campfire band. Is this open to any musician?

fathers day campout

We had almost 100 last year.

The band is a campground band that plays in the Barn. It's open to all campers at the resort.

If you'd like to play some music for the group around our Campfire come on down!!!!

What do you play?

Jason

Thanks for the answer regarding the band.

I play acoustic guitar, a little mandolin and electric bass. A guitar has been my second rider for more than 6,000 miles of travel to rallies on an LT. Now that I have a K1200RS, I may be switching to mandolin as a travel instrument.

Are you a musician?

Thanks for the answer regarding the band.

I play acoustic guitar, a little mandolin and electric bass. A guitar has been my second rider for more than 6,000 miles of travel to rallies on an LT. Now that I have a K1200RS, I may be switching to mandolin as a travel instrument.

Are you a musician?

George, I have a hard time playing the radio, let alone an instrument :)

It's always nice to have some live music around the campfire. One guy (can't remember his name) from Ohio has showed up with a harmonica.

All players invited.
jason

It's offical

Our campout has been listed both in the latest ON and in the online calendar!

We appreciate your pre registration.

It will be June before you know it.

www.lhbmwr.com

tks,
Jason

Lincoln Highway

Here is another piece of history that can be partially experienced while attending the rally.

The Lincoln Highway began life in 1913 and became AmericaÔÇÖs first paved, coast-to-coast motoring route. Named highways, like the Lincoln, began disappearing, however, when the Federal government began implementing its new numbering system in 1926. Although the Lincoln was no longer a designated highway and began fading from the view of the larger motoring public, it never completely lost its nostalgic appeal to a segment of motorists. Historical interest grew in later years, resulting in the national Lincoln Highway Association being reactivated in 1992. The organizationÔÇÖs purpose is to commemorate the memory of this historic route and to promote tourism. Several of the 13 states along the original route have also established their own associations and websites to promote tourism.

To celebrate the LincolnÔÇÖs 100th birthday, a number of activities are being planned for 2013, including a cross-country anniversary tour. Participants will start at either end of the original route, in San Francisco or New York City, and meet in Kearney, NE on June 30 for a big celebration. If youÔÇÖre interested in participating, get the relevant details at the Lincoln Highway Association website (www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org).

Best campout ever!

If you enjoy a relaxed time with friendly people, this is the place for you. Good food and good rides. Once you join us you will be sure to return. :)

11th Annual Campout, Somerset PA, June 2013

Please reember to bring a fishing rod as a small stocked lake is at the camp site. A mountain pie maker may be an added plus for late nite fun. This is a family friendly area that supplies plently of fresh pine air. This is all located around 2000 feet in elevation the ridge and valley provence of the appalachian range. It is always a good idea to change oil, breaks and check tire tread depth before leaving home. This will give best opportunity for a safe ride. No air conditioning needed.

LHBMWRC Fathers Day Campout

All,
I look forward to seeing everyone there! The 1st one I was still an active duty Marine & we set up a General Purpose Marine Tent and had Big Al Vangura & Gary Smith do a Carb. Tech. Session. It was a hot one that year!
In 2005 I found myself missing the campout due to "Uncle Sam" having me in Al Anbar Province- Iraq for 7 months. Missed an entire Summer riding season & was so glad to straddle my GS in October of that year. "So many roads, so little time"!
If you like fishing, paddle boats, a dip in the pool, fireside singing or chit-chat, mountian roads that are windy/ twisty, morning mountian fog, good food, quaint country towns then our Campout is for you! The price can't be beat & the food is super and the showers are good & hot. I hope we have a good turnout this year but either way, everyone that DOES show always seems to come back and loves the place & people there.
Right now it is like 18 outside with 45 MPH winds & 4-5" of fresh snow but it can't & won't last on this Eastern Continential Divide! SPRING & SUMMER will be here soon!
Peace & C-Ya on the road!
George J. Blackham IV
1stSgt, USMC (Ret)
Laurel Highlands BMW Riders V. Pres.
92' GS/PD & 82' R100RT

local roads and sights

Anyone have pictures from last years campout that they would like to share?
jason

Pics from areas nearby in previous years. Great local roads in general and places to explore on your GS. This will be my 3rd year going - always a good time.

Mark Sliwa
Ligonier, PA
'81 R80G/S

Attachments

• 81GS.Ligonier.PA.jpg
    81GS.Ligonier.PA.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 87
  • old.PA.turnpike.tunnel.jpg
    old.PA.turnpike.tunnel.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 89
Steeler summer camp

Any Steeler fans can ride past Saint Vincent's college where they workout every summer. Most likely wil not see any workouts but is a wonderful ride on Route 30 along Loyalhanna River.

any Fossils?

Pics from areas nearby in previous years. Great local roads in general and places to explore on your GS. This will be my 3rd year going - always a good time.

Mark Sliwa
Ligonier, PA
'81 R80G/S

Mark, did you find any fossils in the road cut? Always interested in finding fossils.

Back