• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ohlins ESA for 2012 R1200RT

On The Road Again
Looking for feed-back on Ohlins latest active system.
Specifically, will it bring the quality of the ride up to that which I enjoy on the 2012 R1200GS that has the BMW ESA system?

Attachments

• BMW_EC_TTX36.jpg
    BMW_EC_TTX36.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 283
Looking for feed-back on Ohlins latest active system.
Specifically, will it bring the quality of the ride up to that which I enjoy on the 2012 R1200GS that has the BMW ESA system?
At the price they ask, I sure hope it does. And even better.

As an example, Wunderlich America sells the set $3,500.

So it's comparable to the stockers in price, but is a better product. My money would be better spent on WESA or the manual shocks, if I was so in need. These prices are nuts. So you have a motorcycle that might be worth less than $10-12K(what a lot of RTs might be worth that need to replace shocks) and you'd put $3500 Shocks in it. At some point it becomes a ridiculous exercise. I wonder if they come with free shipping? :\

2007 R12R shocks ..best value

Going to replace my OEM shocks that have done their job at 47k. Now thinking BMW, Ohlins or Wilburs but don't need race quality and perf. What would you suggest in the best value category...... any thoughts?

My thought is if you are serious about an aftermarket shock upgrade you need to talk to some experts. They can help you figure out what you need based on your type of riding, weight, etc. Personally, what with little info you gave, I would lean toward a steel bodied, rebuildable type unit. If you don't need a top of the line Ohlin the Wilburs, Yacugars and some others will work just as well and be cheaper to rebuild.

Wilbers for 1/2 the price, installed

I believe they have 3 authorized US dealers, Ted's in CA, HermanUSA in FL, and another in the Great Lakes area. I used Herman & he let me use his GS during the install. Great Job!!!

When I was looking for a new shock for my K1100LT I spoke to Ted. As he sells both Ohlins and Wilber's he preferred the Wilber's. They cost less and have higher quality materials. I followed his advice and wasn't disappointed. When I upgrade the ESA shocks on my '11 RT I'd go the Wilber's route again. Although, when I'm ready, I'm going to see what the feedback is on the Werk's performance ESA shocks. I had a Werks on a Honda CBR1000F I had and was very happy with it. Quality was good.

Back