• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW loses CHP Contract

Any body know if any LEOs are riding the new Cam-head RTs? :scratch

How does the maintenance become more expensive if the bikes become more reliable ?

Duh .... Brain fade. Corrected my original post but it did not change your quote of my post.

Last edited:
CHP does its own maintenance.

Not necessarily. I was at San Jose BMW this morning, and there was a CHP bike and its rider hanging around the service dept. San Jose BMW has taken care of San Jose area CHP bikes for years.

Motorcycle Consumer News had a feature on police bikes a while back. Maintenance was a big issue. As I recall, where HD, Honda, and Kawasaki machines could be maintained in the police garage, BMWs had to be taken to a BMW dealer, where they were put in line with the other bikes awaiting service. That takes the cop bikes out of service, and requires getting the machines to and from the dealership.

For years, H-D supported police departments with deals that were a lot like giving them free bikes. And I've seen the H-D service trailer at events such as the Law Ride. Obviously, H-D liked having cops on H-D machines--even though most cop bikes have Screaming Eagle everything in an attempt to get performance. I think H-D considered LEO bikes as good advertizing.

Both the H-D and Kawasaki 1,000 police bikes had a deserved reputation for spleed wobbles. That's why the radio packs on the "old" Kz1,000s were spring loaded to slide sideways. It's not uncommon for an H-D mounted LEO to crash while in hot pursuit.

I have to assume that BMW AG and BMW Motorrad NA don't see much value in getting USA LEOs on BMW bikes. If they do want officers on BMWs, they don't seem to appreciate what's needed to beat the competition.

pmdave

Don't forget, California used the Kawasaki for years, and the reviews of the new Connie rate it as an excellent ride. However, it's a little heavy for my likes. A good friend of mine has one and I can see the benefits.

Please, let's not start talking like we are the "Destination Brand," or I'll suggest this thread be moved to the Harley Davidson Forum.

Easy :german

Not necessarily. I was at San Jose BMW this morning, and there was a CHP bike and its rider hanging around the service dept. San Jose BMW has taken care of San Jose area CHP bikes for years.

As does CalBMW and Ted Porter in Scott's Valley. At least they did, perhaps things have changed in the last 6-12 months. :dunno

In some Morning Reads a long time ago is where I think I posted the info related to BMW and the CHP deal when it started. There were memos about CHP mechanics getting certified the time table for conversion to BMWs and adjustments agreed on by BMW to bring their maintenance intervals and oil recommendations in line with CHP fleet guidelines. I based my comments on that. Things may have changed with CA's fiscal issues or something moving maintenance back to BMW dealers.

The Motorcycle Consumers News series on police bikes was discussed in another thread. BMW did take a pounding in print but some questioned the methodology of the test.

What does it take to compete for police department business? BMW is one of the largest if not the largest supplier of police motorcycles in the world. It has never been the leader in the US. Other companies have donated bikes to forces to get them on their bikes. Moto Guzzi has been doing that of late and H-D has done it for years. Perhaps they donÔÇÖt see a $2000/bike advertising benefit in having CHP on BMWs instead of a Kawasaki. A deal only happens when both parties to the transaction are satisfied with the numbers.

Ditto for all the bikes from Sacramento and Chico which are serviced impeccably by Ozzie's BMW in Chico CA. Ozzie personally picks up and delivers six bikes at a time from Sacramento and back on a custom built rig. Talk about great service. Unlike the newer mega shops which are all about moving product Ozzie and Emma do it old school.

While at his shop I have met and talked to local CHPS cops who love their beemers and love Ozzie's even more. That is one great little shop. Hopefully they keep the current bikes on the road since that is a large part of their business. I bet the CHPS officers are not going to be too happy with the change. Of course no one probably asked them.

El Paso PD use the new Connie. I got to see them at the Kaw dealer when they were outfitting them about a year ago. Only thing I see that I'd hate to have to do is set the valves. But maybe it's not that bad.

BMW can make a police version out of the K1300GT or the new K1600 pretty easy, solves the clutch problem nicely.

Problem solved.

Rod

I'm sure the officers riding them wouldn't think it was such a great idea.
Why? I doubt the officers riding them have the kind of money that it takes to buy a brand-new bike every or every other year, and I also doubt that stops them from riding.

--chiba

A lot of history, tests, and testimonials with regard to BMW police bikes can be found at www.bmwmc.net If you go in-depth to the Michigan State Police tests, the BMWs come out on top.

Harley does seem to subsidize their police sales. A few years back my PD told me if I supplied my own ride I could be a at least part-time, motor officer. The police prices were 10K and 12K for the Dyna Defender or the Road King respectively. (add to that a bit more for the lights and siren). The lease price to a PD was just $100/month! BMW also loaned me a RT-P. If I had the choice- which I didn't, I would have chosen a RT-P hands down.

I'll bet the Connie 14 is a heckuva fine enforcement bike. A long distance and commuting friend of mine has ridden a Connie 14 for a year now, and he loves it. He rode the earlier Connie for years, then bought a used 2004 K12GT which gave him a lot of trouble. So, he got rid of it and bought a brand new Connie 14.

Seems to me the prudent thing to do would be to use the bikes they already have rather than buy new ones. That would save even more money.

--chiba

I'm sure the officers riding them wouldn't think it was such a great idea. :dunno

Why? I doubt the officers riding them have the kind of money that it takes to buy a brand-new bike every or every other year, and I also doubt that stops them from riding.

--chiba

I will assume you are not trying to argue just for arguments sake.

But I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Why wouldn't officers want to ride, while on duty, the newest equipment available, regardless of what they ride when off duty?

--chiba

From having to budget and lobby for replacement vehicles while working for a municipality, I have to say not all vehicles in a fleet are replaced at the same time. It just is not possible with limited funds and lot's of departments with various needs. Public Safety typically comes first with police and fire depts...do you want that officer response or fire response to break down on the way to you?

The city had a combination of miles vs cost of maintenance formula that each vehicle or piece of equipment must meet for replacement. Each one was a line item in the budget. At some point...typically 3-4 years, the numbers favor replacing a unit. I was not a member of the police dept, but had some friends in the motor group...we talked...A police bike gets a lot of wear and tear in most places. The Austin PD still has a few H-D's and several R1150RTP's because they haven't met the requirements for replacement...only a few modern RT's yet as they have around 20 something units in service.( may be more since I retired) When they rode Kawa 1000's in the early 80's...they really showed their age and in tough budget times...were rode until worn out.

This is good news.....sort of.....

Because, the attached data on the new Kawa says that the police bikes are "limited" to 130 mph.....so, if you gotta run.....you better run HARD.....or you will be caught.

BTW, this will be a real blow to those dealers who have invested in great service to the the police folks.....fortunately, it will occur over a period of time, but two years from now, there will be fewer service people at some of the better dealers and that will hurt us all. Let's hope that the economy is cooking by then so the impact will be reduced.

Whatever the reason for the change the fact is that BMW lost a "prestige" account. These are high profile bikes that give BMW quite a bit of international publicity.

The bean counters must be happy.

Back