• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

cool idea

On the plus side they should be accurate.

On the minus side they wouldn't work in tunnels and numerous other areas.

I go by my GPS indicated speed rather than the overly optimistic BMW speedometer anyway.

Interesting point.

I've gotten to the point that I use my GPS speedo as much, if not more, than the one in my dash. But this could be a bad habit that causes me to get pulled over.

In principle the GPS speedo should be accurate for straight flat roads, but I wonder about the twisties in the hills or mountains. The 550 has a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- feet; it would be nice if it had a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- mph. Also my GPS is not routinely calibrated as are most peace officer speedos and radar units.

It's something to think about. http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer/

E. :lurk

Interesting point.

I've gotten to the point that I use my GPS speedo as much, if not more, than the one in my dash. But this could be a bad habit that causes me to get pulled over.

In principle the GPS speedo should be accurate for straight flat roads, but I wonder about the twisties in the hills or mountains. The 550 has a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- feet; it would be nice if it had a feature that tells you it is accurate within -- mph. Also my GPS is not routinely calibrated as are most peace officer speedos and radar units.

It's something to think about.
:lurk

In actual fact, your GPS calibrates itself every time you turn it on and obtain new data blocks from the satellite constellation, or lock onto a new satellite rising over the horizon. They (satellites and your GPS) are timed by and synchronized to atomic clock references that are highly accurate which is necessary for accurate positioning. The civilian differential GPS units can be made accurate into inches of position if necessary, and military grade stuff is so accurate you can fly missiles into specific windows if you wish. CEP is essentially zero. The GPS speed readout is accurate maneuvering or in straight lines and is easily as accurate as speed radars and lasers for all practical uses. The more satellites you can see and are receiving at any given time, the better accuracy of position and speed calculation.

BTW, you would be surprised at how often, over 35 years, I have defended speeding ticket cases (no, not mine!) and find radars that have never been re-calibrated, properly licensed, or sometime operated by non-certified officers. I also have presented evidence from a logging GPS system to prove a speed radar was either defective or being improperly operated. The Judge chose to believe a twelve billion dollar satellite GPS system and vehicle logger rather than the $700 second-hand radar gun.:thumb

Last edited:
The civilian differential GPS units can be made accurate into inches of position if necessary, and military grade stuff is so accurate you can fly missiles into specific windows if you wish.

I don't think missiles don't fly under cover of trees. :deal My motorcycle does and as a result I've had GPS units (Garmin) report speeds as high as 747 MPH while I was riding about 35 MPH. GPS units don't always handle multipath signals bounced off of tall city buildings very well, either. I've had a GPS report that I was doing in excess of 500 MPH... while stopped at a stop light. Those examples come from different GPS units.

maybe not for bmw's but still cool.

I agree, those are very nice.
Maybe not so expensive if they are well made.

I use my GPS to "calibrate" any new speedometer I have to use, you really can't do better.

The newer receivers work very well under tree cover although not in tunnels, and the newer software guards against ridiculous speed indications.

Just the thing for easily doing a speedo with a pretty traditional appearance on a cafe bike or some sort of resto/mod where you might not want an actual gps unit and have sort of a sender issue.

Back