• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$50.00 a quart!

hypocracy or...no

So over on the BMW CCA (car club of america) side, the big complaint is about "lifetime fill" in gearbox and diff. In the diff of recent 3 series E90, there is no drain plug, as the genius engineers have decreed that no diff change is ever necessary in their black forest precision engineered jewelry. So the members siphon out the diff fluid and replace it with Red Line at around $10.00 quart.

Meanwhile on the BMW MOA side, a drain of a few cc's is $50.00. Go figure.

Last summer, I changed the rear tire on my HD FLHT. I was listening to Beethoven's Fifth and drinking Beck's, but it did occur to me, for just a brief moment, that the HD "final drive" was fairly simple... an axle, an eccentric locater, and a belt.

Hmmmm

Rumor has it that this same fd oil is available at Range Rover places forabout $20.
Haven't confimed it but wouldn't surprise me given the markup on BMW parts.

It's not a rumor. I bought a quart at a Land Rover dealer this spring and it was $13.49.
Ask for LRN 7591 Gear Oil. It's the same oil as the Castrol SAF-XO 75W90 synthetic.

I ABSOLUTLY AGREE WITH YOU Officer !

I chuckle every time I read someone's complaints about the exorbitant costs to service and maintain a $25,000 motorcycle.

Guess you should have bought the Kawasaki Concours instead. Then you'd have $10,000 left over for parts and fluids.

I am continually amazed by concerns / complaints surrounding BMW Service Fees, Oil Cost, and equally important MPG statistics. (My GT fully "tricked out" ... Top Case ... LED Light ... Engine Guards, etc. had an MSRP of $27,000 + before Tax & Tag) This amazing machine is worth every dollar. I dont know top from bottom on a screw driver or wrench and could care less ... that is why I rely on my BMW Service Advisor and am happy to pay for BMW Technition Services (I change oil and oil filters every 3000 miles) authorized fluids / parts / etc. Has been the same with my R1200RT's as well. Obviously Officer ... there are a few of us out there who are passionate about fine motos and "don't sweat the small stuff" and simply enjoy our ride! PS: I am fortunate to have one of the largest BMW Dealers a short 20 minute ride from my home in Daytona Beach Shores FL ... and that's a good thing too !

I am continually amazed by concerns / complaints surrounding BMW Service Fees, Oil Cost, and equally important MPG statistics. (My GT fully "tricked out" ... Top Case ... LED Light ... Engine Guards, etc. had an MSRP of $27,000 + before Tax & Tag) This amazing machine is worth every dollar. I dont know top from bottom on a screw driver or wrench and could care less ... that is why I rely on my BMW Service Advisor and am happy to pay for BMW Technition Services (I change oil and oil filters every 3000 miles) authorized fluids / parts / etc. Has been the same with my R1200RT's as well. Obviously Officer ... there are a few of us out there who are passionate about fine motos and "don't sweat the small stuff" and simply enjoy our ride! PS: I am fortunate to have one of the largest BMW Dealers a short 20 minute ride from my home in Daytona Beach Shores FL ... and that's a good thing too !

One might suggest the basis for complaints regarding BMW cost of parts and services, isn't in "sweating the small stuff", but the idea of being unknowingly or for some, knowingly accepting a "screwing" for parts and services rendered. While realizing one must pay to play, as part of the game, items such as $14.00 for a $3.00 oil filter and $15.00 plus for a $4.00 sparkplug, let alone $50.00 for a $15.00 liter of lube -- is this paragraph's definition of being screwed.

Merry Christmas!

You will be OK as long as you don't ride far from Florida. Don't ever go to Mexico.

So over on the BMW CCA (car club of america) side, the big complaint is about "lifetime fill" in gearbox and diff. In the diff of recent 3 series E90, there is no drain plug, as the genius engineers have decreed that no diff change is ever necessary in their black forest precision engineered jewelry. So the members siphon out the diff fluid and replace it with Red Line at around $10.00 quart.

Most RWD vehicles don't have a drain in the differential and have not had one for decades. I seem to remember that the drain started disappearing when the gears stopped being removeable as a unit from the front (you could switch them between drag races on Fords (12 bolt) to change the ratios). Most RWD cars and trucks never have the gear oil changed, there is seldom a problem and the oil is just cheap conventional grease that costs under $5 per quart.

Some without drain plugs remove the cover to drain the fluid, then fill thru the vent.

My 2000 Silverado 1500, 1999 Lexus RX 300, 2001 E46 BMW 330i, 2000 K1200lt, and 1999 Valkyrie all have drain plugs. They all get bi-annual drain and fills.

Whatever the facts of the matter may be, your position matches that of BMW Autos NA, ie the fill is lifetime and doen't need replacement.

Maybe if BMW Motorad took the same position, then we wouldn't be having a $50 discussion.

Regards

Back