• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boots for touring and general stuff?

I tried about 10 different boots including BMW, Diadora, Gaerne, TCX, and others before finding one that is as close to perfect as I think I'll get: Chippewa Rallies.

CBC_27862_R

a buddy of mine had a pair of these Chippewas- and while they were great as long as he was on the bike, his opinion was that they weren't comfy for standing or walking in.

The bike caught on the part of the laces that ran between the eyelets at the top of my instep.

The Bike?
On what part?

I'm not arguing...
I'm trying to wrap my tiny little brain around it so as to understand what happened?

My Mileage Does Vary.

boots must do the job

I met a guy at a rally about 28 years ago in Pennsylvania who had ridden his GS up from Florida wearing a helmet, T-shirt, shorts and some really good boots. Why? He was a risk taker obviously, but he said as a paramedic he knew that knees, and hips can be replaced, but not ankles. I never rode without boots on after that. And with ankle protection. I have to bite my lip when I see people at motorcycle shows looking at wonderfully crafted boots that offer no real ankle protection. Not my business, but on the last ride with the guys one of us, a very experienced gent in his 70's went down slowly at an intersection and his bike just came down on his ankle. Had he had protection he would have walked away, not limped. Thanks to my medicine supply he lasted through the trip, but I felt bad for him.
There was an article on one of the British sites with info from a doctor who said injury seriousness went from the feet upwards. Usually the feet and lower legs are most easily hurt in motorcycle accidents. These mostly could be preventable, so why not buy the safest and the best. My dealer in Toronto sold me a pair of Daytona boots that were very expensive after asking me- 'What's more important? How much are your feet worth?' I hate to sound like a preacher but ATGATT has to mean the safest gear you can afford.
Cheers

The Bike?
On what part? {snip}

Actually, as best as I can tell, it was the shifter's toe bar. I could not see exactly what he unhooked (but felt it!) as his body was blocking my view, but the shift arm was bent out at an angle and the toe bar on the shifter was ground-down and kind of angled back from the arm. It was definitely not the foot peg (even though it was bent) as it was too big to go through the laces.

And, while I appreciated his help, I was resisting the urge to throttle him for texting (I assume) while driving a delivery van. :mad

I wear the Alpinestars Web Gor-tex boots year round & have rode from the single digit numbers in the winter to the three digit numbers in the summer. I have rode almost 100,000 miles with the same pair & they are still in good shape. It took awhile to get them broke in before I could wear them all day. I don't carry any spare shoes on 7 to 10 day trips because they are comfortable enough for me if I'm walking or riding.

boots for touring

excellent choice on the chippewa--i bring sneakers if i have to walk alot--lmo01131 a little polish and new souls and you should be in heaven!:blush

CBC_27862_R

I'm liking these Chippewa boots the more I read about them, and an inch of heel isn't that extreme. The lack of big freakin' lugs on the soles is nice (thick soles is where I get hung up under my Bings).

But I'll be switched if I can find a dealer anywhere around me that will order in a pair to see if they fit!!! (And I hate the thought of return-shipping). :-[

So much for American enterprise. .. .

When Peter Fonda shows up at the end of "Wild Hogs," that's what he's wearing. 'nuff said.

Danner Boots

My wife and use Danner high top boots, similar to what the police use in Canada. We bought them from Cabellas, and they were expensive. They have side mesh panels to keep your feet cool and are Goretex lined to keep them dry. Ours are at least 100,000 miles old and still work like they were new. I don't put anything on them to keep the leather good, just wash them off in the car wash when I clean the bikes. The soles are getting worn, but they are Vibram and can be replaced at any boot shop.

They are an excellent boot and if they ever wear out I will get another pair.

a buddy of mine had a pair of these Chippewas- and while they were great as long as he was on the bike, his opinion was that they weren't comfy for standing or walking in.

In my experience, I certainly wouldn't want to do a five mile hike in them, but I find them perfectly comfortable for normal walking. I sometimes wear them all day even when I'm not on the bike.

Danner Boots

The beauty of these boots is that you can walk as many miles as you like in them, likely the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. In Canada the Police wear them, including those walking the beats.

Anyone have/had a problem with the tall ( 1" ) heel on the Chippewa Rallies hanging up on the pegs at an inopportune moments?

I work in White's Smoke Jumpers (heavy equipment operator) so I'm used to the heel (and thick soles) for walking ... it's the riding aspect of it that I concerned about. I like the support of the White's and they're really comfortable, but the soles are so thick that there's no way they'd work with my /5, unless I take the carbs off of the bike.
09.gif

Smoke-Jumper-LTT.jpg

Anyone have/had a problem with the tall ( 1" ) heel on the Chippewa Rallies hanging up on the pegs at an inopportune moments?

I work in White's Smoke Jumpers (heavy equipment operator) so I'm used to the heel (and thick soles) for walking ... it's the riding aspect of it that I concerned about. I like the support of the White's and they're really comfortable, but the soles are so thick that there's no way they'd work with my /5, unless I take the carbs off of the bike.
09.gif

Smoke-Jumper-LTT.jpg
The thing I don't like about the tall heels with sharp edges is it makes it harder to put riding gear on & off.

Aerostich, Combat Touring.

you only have two feet and a proper motorcycle boot can help save them.

greg

What would you suggest for a good pair of boots for touring, running around town, and doing other stuff when on the road like walking and just hanging out?

A quality pair of medium to heavy duty hiking boots. Smooth leather and Gor-Tex if you want them to be waterproof. I use Asolo.

They are all I've been using for my 5 weeks on the road every summer while on tour.

Attachments

• prod_1232618347.jpg
    prod_1232618347.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 615
boots

i've had the Aerostitch Combat Touring Boot, the full length style. It was made by SIDI for Aerostitch. Once they are broken in, they are great! I had my RT fall on me in a parking lot and my foot was pinned under the driver foot peg. Luckily i was wearing the Aerostitch Combat Boots, not one scratch, bruise, or any broken bones!!!!! There is a fast lace system, a single ski boot latch at the midfoot and two strong velcro straps mid and high calf area. After two years, the only thing i need to replace is the laces. I glued a piece of leather on the left top forefoot because there is no extra tough surface for the gear shifter. It was wearing the smooth boot surface with shifts 2-6. I have HD tall boots, but always reach for the Aerostitch Combat Boots for the superior safety, support and build quality. I am able to put foot orthotics in the boots to give me full comfort when walking. Try the BMW tall socks, or the SOKZ, they are tall enough on the calf not to have the top leather touch your skin.

I echo Deilenberger's positive remarks on BMW Allround boots. (See his post #15.) My feet have been happy from around freezing to about 100 F.

My search for new boots last spring included Alpinestars with similar features and price to the BMW's. On my feet, the comfort difference was night and day - but just the opposite could be true for you. So, take a couple pair of different thickness riding socks with you when you go shopping. As noted, this type of boot does NOT require any break-in. Walk around the store for 15 minutes when you think you've found the right boot and you'll know. If you don't think you could wear them all day, keep looking.

And do think about ankle protection. A couple weeks ago, a fellow New Zealand tourer mis-judged one of the thousands of tight turns we encountered and rode into a ditch. Worst body damage was to the outside of his right ankle - sprained and badly swollen, he was able to keep riding. Looking at his Sidi riding boots, (not sure of the model) I noticed that there was some cushioning on the inside ankles but not the outside. Whether the ankle protection on my Allrounds (both sides) would have saved him a lot of discomfort is open to question, of course. His Joe Rocket jacket is also due for replacement, but his arm is just fine.

Another rider on that trip experienced two tipovers with her big Triumph cruiser. Riding pants would probably have prevented the bruises on both her legs. She only rented a helmet because NZ law requires it. On the second tipover she hit her head on another bike hard enough to ruin the helmet, but only netting her a sore neck. My guess is that, back home on her Harley, protective gear won't be on her shopping list. Sorry to get off topic.

boots

could you tell me the name of these boots and possibly where one could buy them? Bob

Back