• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Access Mod

GKman

Couldn't bear the thought of dealing with the buried battery terminals of my fully enclosed R1150RT. Made each of the short extender cables from 3 strands of 12 gauge rubber covered stranded wire. Crimped and soldered ends. No they won't short. Positive has as much or more insulation as any original wire on the bike.

Attachments

• P9190145.JPG
    P9190145.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 252
Haven't done that with my 04RT, but I did do it with a Honda Valkyrie Interstate I had. Worked fine, never had a problem. Used good quaility components and soldered all the connections. Looks good.

Good solution. For the benefit of others that come along:

The Authority RT's have terminal post extensions which can be used on a civilian RT. One post attaches to the positive terminal, with a rubber-capped, jumper cable-friendly knob reaching out from the rear of the tank into the space over the air box, and a negative jumper cable-friendly knob which bolts to the rear of the left cylinder head. Part numbers are available in the MaxBMW parts fiche.

It makes lots more sense to do this starting at the starter motor end of the positive battery cable.

No need for an extension to the battery negative, as any old frame bolt will do.

For the R1100S ...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/2428575-post19.html

For other models, I'd look to later versions for a similar solution

DoneWithCover.jpg

Kent's option works for R11xxS/R/RS/GS, but not the RT, which has the starter motor covered by the bike's tupperware -- so much so that BMW does not bother with a cosmetic cover over the starter motor.

Good solution. For the benefit of others that come along:

The Authority RT's have terminal post extensions which can be used on a civilian RT. One post attaches to the positive terminal, with a rubber-capped, jumper cable-friendly knob reaching out from the rear of the tank into the space over the air box, and a negative jumper cable-friendly knob which bolts to the rear of the left cylinder head. Part numbers are available in the MaxBMW parts fiche.

What year RTPs came with "terminal post extensions"? Was it stock, or is it an after-market add-on?

My RTP sure as heck doesn't have "terminal post extensions", as my RTP requires a jumper cable attached to a screwdriver to reach in and touch the positive battery terminal.

I've just looked at the parts fiche on Max's website, and I can't find RTP battery terminal post extensions. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=08102012

But then again, why jump start when you can roll-start? Just find a steep enough/long enough hill...

Roll starts don't work too good here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Its flat as a fritter. The only "hills" are the bridges over the bays; and its a long push to get up the hill, before you can ride down.

What year RTPs came with "terminal post extensions"? Was it stock, or is it an after-market add-on?

My RTP sure as heck doesn't have "terminal post extensions", as my RTP requires a jumper cable attached to a screwdriver to reach in and touch the positive battery terminal.

I've just looked at the parts fiche on Max's website, and I can't find RTP battery terminal post extensions. http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=08102012

But then again, why jump start when you can roll-start? Just find a steep enough/long enough hill...
They were BMW parts -- it may be a department-by department thing -- my '04 ex-CHP R1150RT-P has them.

The positive terminal extension is shown on the Max R1150RT fiche, battery section, parts 9-12.

As soon as I find the negative bobbin for the left head, I'll post it. :D

Edit: The negative bobbin is the "Earth pin", with M6x10 threads, parts 4-6 in the R1150RT starter section. It screws into one of the holes on the rear side of the head next to the intake (it may be one of the cam cover bolts; not near my RT to confirm this). I wouldn't bother with the rubber cap (6), as it is a ground point.

Seems like if I prepare for the worst it never happens. I thought the worst case scenario would be a DOA battery outside of East Elephantsbreath Utah with a replacement somewhere beyond buzzards getcha' range. With what I have now I could get any kind of battery from anybody and a couple of universal cables, bungee it down on the luggage rack and get back to civilization needing nothing more than a pair of pliers.

On a more likely case, I can get a battery charger or jumper cables on by just keying the seat off.

Ah memories.... sweet memories. Back in the early ninetys wife and I toured Mesa Verde on our Suzuki GK1100 and enroute lost the alternator, not uncommon on old Suzukis. Bought cheap 2amp battery charger and each night pulled the battery and charged it in the motel room. Made it for the few days needed to get parts in at local Suzuki dealer and rode it there and did the repair myself.

Couldn't bear the thought of dealing with the buried battery terminals of my fully enclosed R1150RT. Made each of the short extender cables from 3 strands of 12 gauge rubber covered stranded wire.

Did you make this mod for boosting or charging purposes?

In any case I would still use some spiral wrap insulation around the positive cable as shown in the following pic...
185615859_f4oJF-M.jpg

For those with a starter cover, I installed a Battery Boosting Lug on my 2003 after I bought a 2004 and noticed it on them.

The step-by-step install including how to locate the hole on the cover is shown in the link above.

Back