• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Tires at Rally

jimfastcar

Local dealer has quoted me $ 700 + Tax for Metzeler. Also have quote for $ 570 from dealer in SC on way to the Rally
Soutwest MotoTire $ 260 delivered !!! (presume I can have them shipped somewhere at Rally office)

The savings are substantial - any tips on install service at Rally or vicinity ?

Thanks

Find the No-mar Tire Changer display, they will install them for you.

For free, I believe.

You'll get a variety of opinions on the question of getting tires installed at the rally, but from my observations of the 2005, 2006 and 2007 rallies, there seemed to be very long waits -- and those were at vendors who were installing the tires that they sold, not someone else's tires. Why would they? They're backed up with their own tires. I say do it before you get there.

BTW, what kind of bike are you riding that the dealer quoted $700 for Metzelers? I'm having a set of Pilot Road 2s installed on my R12RT next week at my local independent tech's garage. The set is $420 + installation ($80) + tax.

Tires at Rally

You'll get a variety of opinions on the question of getting tires installed at the rally, but from my observations of the 2005, 2006 and 2007 rallies, there seemed to be very long waits -- and those were at vendors who were installing the tires that they sold, not someone else's tires. Why would they? They're backed up with their own tires. I say do it before you get there.

BTW, what kind of bike are you riding that the dealer quoted $700 for Metzelers? I'm having a set of Pilot Road 2s installed on my R12RT next week at my local independent tech's garage. The set is $420 + installation ($80) + tax.

Thanks, you are right, it will probably be just too complicated to make it happen at the Rally....
Best prices seem to be around $ 500 Metzeler Z6 installed. Will probably end up getting them done for the ride down, as we are taking the twisties on the way to the Rally as it is mid-week.
Thanks for replies, and see you there

PS - to your question 2008 R1200 RT

Did you talk to Jesse at Premier Cycle on Bentley.. he has given me some good prices on tires for my bike... and I am always happy with his service.

JM

Did you talk to Jesse at Premier Cycle on Bentley.. he has given me some good prices on tires for my bike... and I am always happy with his service.

JM
Been using Jesse from the day he left Motor Sports World. In fact, that's where I'm getting my Pilot Road 2's next week. I've always found the best prices on tires in this "area" to be at Moto Internationale in Montreal. Saw your suggestion about Ogdensburg. Thanks. I guess I'm at a stage where I don't want the bother.

Find the No-mar Tire Changer display, they will install them for you.

For free, I believe.

you believe correctly :)

did this in 06', gave the vendor something new to do after taking off and putting on the same goldwing tire all day.

Tire Pricing

i asked my local dealer for a price for a metzler interact and I have to tell you that they were 58% more than what I could get online. I shouldn't have been but I was amazed at the price difference.

The prices vary very much. as much as I wanted to buy, install and support my local dealer, I'm not willing to pay a 58% difference.

Shop... shop... and shop...

Last Year at Gillette

1150rt
Metz z6

Front 163.95
Back 200.95
Sub total $364.90

Mounting 90.00
EPA Fee 10.00
Tax 24.41

Total $489.31

Its more than I would have paid at home. I needed the tires bad so I bite the bullet

local bike shop

You might try Ken's Cycle Center 5510 Kingsport Hwy in Gray, not far from the rally site. They have the best reputation in the area as an independent shop. Their phone number is 423-477-8596. Downside is that they are busy and getting them on the phone can be tough. I have been lucky and haven't needed any local service, but friends swear by them and say they have been very helpful in emergencies

1150rt
Metz z6

Front 163.95
Back 200.95
Sub total $364.90

Mounting 90.00
EPA Fee 10.00
Tax 24.41

Total $489.31

Its more than I would have paid at home. I needed the tires bad so I bite the bullet

$10 EPA fee?!?! Wow, that's a lot. we pay $2 a tire here in WI. And you are right, that's about $50-60 more for each tire. I hope the $90 included THEM doing the R&R on the bike. If you gave them the wheels that's robbery.

I'll second that about Ken's Cycle Center. I was in JC about a month ago and needed new tires for the GSA. I called a fellow in the Anonomous book and he directed me to Ken's. I was waiting a half hour before they opened and was taken care of promptly by Ken himself. Not only did they get me out of there in record speed, his prices are the best I have EVER found. Nice people and worth the visit if you need any other service also. Ken also has a great web site. Google Ken's Cycle Center in Gray, TN.

I'll second that about Ken's Cycle Center. I was in JC about a month ago and needed new tires for the GSA. I called a fellow in the Anonomous book and he directed me to Ken's. I was waiting a half hour before they opened and was taken care of promptly by Ken himself. Not only did they get me out of there in record speed, his prices are the best I have EVER found. Nice people and worth the visit if you need any other service also. Ken also has a great web site. Google Ken's Cycle Center in Gray, TN.

I googled Ken's website, copied it, and it goes in my tank bag. Thanks for helping me make a decision to get a tire here, or maybe there!

Red

Back