• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cylinder Protection Guards

B

badge502

I found a set of the Cylinder Protection Guards from Beemer Boneyard for my new to me S and bought them... Do I need longer screws? Screws didnt come with the two plastic protectors, and I just thought I would check with the brain trust here before I get started trying to put them on...

Thanks for your help in advance.
Jeff

Year and type of S bike? (K1100S, R1200S ??) Perhaps you can identify the fastener size by referring to one of the microfiches available online.

I found a set of the Cylinder Protection Guards from Beemer Boneyard for my new to me S and bought them... Do I need longer screws? Screws didnt come with the two plastic protectors, and I just thought I would check with the brain trust here before I get started trying to put them on...

Thanks for your help in advance.
Jeff

There are a variety of cylinder head guards available. Which ones you have we do not know. The ones I have came with their own screws which did not replace any of the standard equipment ones. A picture is always helpful. Congratulations on the acquisition of the finest motorcycle BMW has ever made (assuming its an R1100S) . :D

If you indeed have BMW guards, you can see the screw specifications at realoem.com

Last edited:
You will also need the small steel inserts that go in the screw holes on the plastic guards. They tend to fall out of the guard. If you don't use them, the guard will split at the screw holes. (DAMHIK):blush

I got the guards from Beemer Boneyard, and it seems that I got just the guards, not the screws that went with the original kit. And, this bike has never had the guards on it... So, it appears I have some parts I need to round up. I remember putting a set of these on an R1100RS I had a long time ago, and I thought there were some extra screws that went with it.

Its a 1999 R100S, awesome condition with a little over 21,000 miles on it. I had one before, but due to some medical issues, I wasn't able to ride it very comfortably. BUT, that has been fixed, and Im having a good time with this one.

The R1100 and R1200 S models are my favorite... Wish they would come back with the new engine in it. Ive seen the Concept 90 bike, and it kinda leaves me cold... Looks like a garage project instead of factory effort.

Could one of you guys take some pictures of where the guards mount up? I know the one obvious one by the exhaust header, but not sure about the other spots.

two of the same holes (one on each side) were clogged flush with dirt, spider webs, etc... It wasnt obvious til I got down there with a flashlight and started poking around... so, mission accomplished.

Back