• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K75S Maintenance

detbmw

I'm about to start a full service on my '88 K75S.

I have a pair of Bridgestone - Battlax BT45V Sport Touring Tires on order. The Metzeler Lasertecs that came on it are both 5 & 1/2 years old.

I also want to replace the valve stems. What size valve stems should I buy for this 1988 model bike that was built in July 1987? :dunno

I have a pair of Bridgestone - Battlax BT45V Sport Touring Tires on order. The Metzeler Lasertecs that came on it are both 5 & 1/2 years old.

I also want to replace the valve stems. What size valve stems should I buy for this 1988 model bike that was built in July 1987? :dunno

BMW calls them 15mm which is the OD of the rubber.

At the auto parts store get the smaller of the two sizes generally in stock. They are labeled as .453 inch which is 11.5mm. The .625 are way too big. These are hole sizes. Get them as short as you can: less wobble and much easier to put a hose on than long ones.

BMW calls them 15mm which is the OD of the rubber.

At the auto parts store get the smaller of the two sizes generally in stock. They are labeled as .453 inch which is 11.5mm. The .625 are way too big. These are hole sizes. Get them as short as you can: less wobble and much easier to put a hose on than long ones.

And buy an extra set to carry with you.

Congratulations on choosing the BT45s; man, you are going to love those tires!

Btw, I run DynaBeads in both of mine and can also highly recommend them---smooth as silk.

Congratulations on choosing the BT45s; man, you are going to love those tires!

Btw, I run DynaBeads in both of mine and can also highly recommend them---smooth as silk.

I will order the DynaBeads, i have heard several people recommend them.

My first tire change on my K75 I put in metal valve stems. They look a lot better(bling?) and no more worries about a stem breaking.

Hhmmm.

I have the Bt45's on my bike and I'm finding they wear kind of fast. I think my fronts are cupping already after only abut 4 months of use.

Maybe I'm riding 'em too hard?

Hhmmm.

I have the Bt45's on my bike and I'm finding they wear kind of fast. I think my fronts are cupping already after only abut 4 months of use.

Maybe I'm riding 'em too hard?

How many miles and what tire pressure?

How many miles and what tire pressure?

I run 33/36 and the mileage is 60,000 miles.

I think I know where you're going with this, and I'm right behind you.

I have already figured out that my headstock bearings are worn...more correctly that there's a notch on centre. This may be either causing the very mild wobble I feel directly, or it may be causing the tires to cup prematurely.

My plan is to rebuild it this winter.

I run 33/36 and the mileage is 60,000 miles.

I think I know where you're going with this, and I'm right behind you.

I have already figured out that my headstock bearings are worn...more correctly that there's a notch on centre. This may be either causing the very mild wobble I feel directly, or it may be causing the tires to cup prematurely.

My plan is to rebuild it this winter.

Well, I meant miles on that tire, but yes, worn bearings will contribute to the wear. Your tire pressures are about 4 lbs low on each end, more of a factor in the rapid wear.

Gas Tank

Next Question:
What is the best way to drain & refill the cooling system?

Do I have to disconnect, drain, and remove the gas tank first?

WOW! 60,000 miles on a set of BT45s!!!! That's well over 10 times what I get.:whistle

:dance:dance:dance

OK OK - I was distracted when I developed my response to the question, cut me some slack here guys...:hungover

I'm going to say 3500 miles on the tires since I put them on...daily riding and a big ol' road trip with the lads.

I dunno about 37/40 for tire pressures though. Clymer says 33/36 is already on the high side for one up riding. What does the K75 manual say? I cant put a hand on mine.

What do the other guys say?

Sorry for the derail...

K75 Full Service

On that K75 full service, make sure the locknuts on the mirrors are tightened down.
And also check the license plate bolts.

Hey, I didn't know my K75 had a tool kit! I wonder what is in it :dunno
Maybe one of my other bikes can use it. :)

Back