• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeking comments re: jesse rear compartment

W

WesPeterson

I'm looking for some feedback (i.e., happy/sad you bought it) from anyone that has purchased the al jesse rear compartment or rear rack. The compartment is $30 more than the rack and has, well, a rear compartment.:p

Wes,

Just had to say that yours is a brilliant post. Pure poetry - and funny too! Keep up the good work!

Wes said:
Wes,

Just had to say that yours is a brilliant post. Pure poetry - and funny too! Keep up the good work!

Thanks Wes. I appreciate your noticing my brilliance (you seem pretty smart too). That being said, be nice if you had some input into my question.

Wes,
I just added a Jesse rear compartment this past weekend........ mostly to mount the Jesse top box I also added. So far they have been fantastic on the road.

The top box fit and finish was great, but you do have to line up and drill the holes to mount it (so you can have it open in your own favorite choice of directions). That took some time. The rear compartment came ready to mount, and went on in less than 10 mintues (assuming you have the right allen wrenches). The only real issue I have with it, is the door for the rear compartment, it seems to be installed at a slight angle, and with the top box in place the door rubs the bottom of it as it opens. It will be a quick fix with file, and a touch of flat black paint, but for the cost I expected better than that. Having said that, it is possible it is just one of those not quite perfect units that happen from time to time in any manufacturing environment. If you like the look, and you have the $$$ to spend, they are nice to have, and if all you are adding is the luggage rack on top, then the installation should be trivial. Bear in mind that the rear compartment is open topped, and intended for use with a rack or a top box. Without one or the other, there is no top to the rear compartment.

cgarr said:
Bear in mind that the rear compartment is open topped, and intended for use with a rack or a top box. Without one or the other, there is no top to the rear compartment.

Excellent write-up - thank you. Your last point (which I've quoted) is not obvious from Al's web-site. Thank you for pointing it out.

Jesse Rear Compartment

I just bought one, to go with a full set of Jesse side bags & top case. The rear compartment now comes with a top welded in place. This makes it more secure but harder to install. The instructions for all Jesse products are crap. You have to infer steps and I think things have changed from whenever the instructions were created because my R 1200 GS is different from what the instructions assume.

I respectfully disagree. At least with the instructions on the current, LC GS. I just installed the pannier mounts and the installation instructions were clear to me. I agree though, much better than they were in the past (had old style Jesse bags on my 08 GS).

I just bought one, to go with a full set of Jesse side bags & top case. The rear compartment now comes with a top welded in place. This makes it more secure but harder to install. The instructions for all Jesse products are crap. You have to infer steps and I think things have changed from whenever the instructions were created because my R 1200 GS is different from what the instructions assume.

Who is Jim VonBaden, and what is he doing in this thread?
Oh, no, I mean, Wes, I was thinking of getting one of those Smugglers. From Corbin. I think those are nice looking, but they replace the rear seat. And, on rare occasions, I need the rear seat.
I still don't see much on the Jesse, but it looks like a top box.
Wes. Wes. Are you there?
Ladies and gentlemen. Wes has left the building.
dc

Back