• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

K13GT 18K service list

damiangs

Does anybody have/know the 18K service work sheet for the K 1300 GT?

I'll really appreciate it if you can share it.

Safe riding

Damian

Thank you for the link.
I don't see how often the valves have to be checked/adjusted.
Is this the 18000 miles list or 6-12k?

Thank you for your help

I linked the annual/12K and the 6K intervals I believe...at 18K, it should only be oil& filter off the top of my head. every 6K oil change so an 18 is between majors

here is the one with valve check listed...

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSchedules/K1300GT_12K_Annual.pdf

24K valve check is what was typical on the K12's I wonder if it's higher now?...I have checked four in that zone and one at 36K with no out of tolerance found.
And it's no picnic getting to that area...the first time can scare you!

You'll need a vacuum set up to refill the coolant safely w/out air in the system.

There is a post here with a how to...and more info over in the K bike forum. If you have not visited there, just take some of the postings of gloom and doom in stride...some are true...some are a little dramatic:whistle It's more International and chatty!

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/cmps_index.php?

Thank you Steve,

It sounds good and easy this time at 18K.
(When the time comes I will take the GT to a BMW mechanic to check and adjust the valves if needed)

I really appreciate your help

Safe riding

Damian

First valve check is at the 18k service, and along with it the first sparkplug change-- as per the sheet referenced above at the A&S site. BMW calls for checking valve clearance every 30000 kilometers (18k miles). Beyond that, the 18k service adds the normal 6k stuff-- oil, filters, etc.

I wouldn't put off that 18k service much over 18.5k if it were my bike. While you're having the 18k done you might also want to see about the cam chain jump guard, which is now a recall in the UK but not here in the US. Also, be sure to ask for some kind of documentation on what the valve clearances actually measured at so you can track change over time/miles. I'm hoping the wedge Ks run like the brick Ks, where after the first 36k valve checks were really only needed every 24-36k or so.

Best,

GTRider

Thank you Gtrider,

I appreciate your help.
I just bought a repair/service manual dvd and it shows it the same way you say it is.

30000KM

Regards

Damian

My bad...my local had it listed as 24k when we picked both ours up...Helen's never had any documented check when I checked at 36K after she bought it...all was well. I have the first year repROM available...I need to go look at it again.

Isn't the jump guard standard on the 13's? the tensioner update was.

Isn't the jump guard standard on the 13's? the tensioner update was.

Not the early 1300's.
Our 2011 K1300S's were built near the end of Aug 2010 and do not have the guards. I think BMW started to install them at the factory around early 2011.

I was planning to do the jump guard update on our bikes this fall or winter, but decided to hold off on ordering the parts when I saw the UK has a recall now.
Maybe the US will make this a recall also.

Cover1.jpg

Last edited:
Build date on my 2010 K13GT was Jan 2010 and it did not have the jump guard installed, so if they were added as an assy line item it had to be after Jan of 2010.

Best,

GTRider

Back