• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recall question

toshibgood

Hi guys

anybody have any involvement with a Recall related to the rear link bearings on K1200GT 2005-2008 motorcycles? Under NHTSA Campaign ID number 10V488000.

Did you get yours replaced? What was involved? New Link or new bearings?

Thanks

John

sounds like the "dog bone" link ...we had two replaced on '05 K12S's on a recall. Shop did it in less than an hour I recall.

I had this recall on my 07 K1200GT. They replaced the link which includes a plastic snap-on shield to protect the pivot point. I have the impression that the dogbone itself is the same, but they replaced it because they can't be sure if it is contaminated without removing it anyways, so BMW had them replace it, then install the shield which should eliminate the problem.

Thanks for the info guys. That pretty much what I thought. I'll talk to my local Dealer and have him address this when he does my airbox.

Thanks again. You guys know your stuff.:heart

John

Recall issue

FYI was just notified that my bike does indeed need a "relay lever" is what they called it. Said they would perform the work at the same time they do my air box upgrade.

Thanks again for the help.

FYI I learned of the recall from K-Bike website. I guess it pays to monitor both sites.:laugh

John

Ask to have the cam chain jump guard installed if you have not already done that.
Sounds like BMW has finally agree to do this update at no charge to the owner.
This is for the Slant four K1200 and the K1300 bikes that did not have the guard installed at the factory.

Recall issue

Thanks a lot. Now I really feel like crap cause I just did both the tensioner and jump guard on my own dime about a month ago.:doh

I'm having fun now.

Thanks

John

Thanks a lot. Now I really feel like crap cause I just did both the tensioner and jump guard on my own dime about a month ago.:doh

Just think of that quality time you had bonding with your bike :)

Last edited:
FWIW, the recall dogbone is about 1 mm thicker in the middle flat so a bit less likely to bend if the replacement bearings should bind despite the shield.
Part of the cause here is that these bikes do not come std with any kind of hugger or protection for that part of the suspension so are ill designed for salt or corrosives. Some other BMWs like the R1100S have a similar flaw though a different lower suspension design- aftermarket huggers are available though pricey for the K- the only one I know of is carbon fiber....

Just got the jump guard and link replaced under the recall, had already installed the tensioner myself. The airbox needs to be replaced AGAIN, as I have an '06, and the replacement was done with airbox design #2, which apprearently also warped, and now it needs airbox design #3, but of course it is way out of warranty....... Got to love manufacterers who design a &@$!! part, redesign it as &@$!!, and make you pay for it a third time! Oh well, will probably buy the air box and install it myself on a rainy day.

Back