• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gillette Ride from Massachusetts

thehueg

The Hueg
My son and I plan to travel from central Massachusetts to the rally next summer and are hoping to find others from the area who might be interested in riding out and back together. We're thinking a small group might be safer and provide some assistance in case anyone has a mechanical issue. Is anyone from the area interested?

The Big Riding club in your area are the Yankee Beemers. Check out their website at:
Yankee Beemers <- Check Out This Link

You can be sure several of them will be driving to the rally. Another club you will want to check out for riders next year is

The Vermont MOVers <- Check Out This Link

PaulBach,

I posted about going to this rally on our local MOA club at AZBeemers.org. I and the rally were picked on about going to Gillette by no less than a founder/past president. That was it! Damn! Now I have no one considering to go.

I posted about going to this rally on our local MOA club at AZBeemers.org. I and the rally were picked on about going to Gillette by no less than a founder/past president. That was it! Damn! Now I have no one considering to go.

Hmmm. Maybe Gillette's too far for him to travel :D

Join us.....with or without them. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Hmmm. Maybe Gillette's too far for him to travel :D

Join us.....with or without them. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

He didn't complain about too far, he complained about too hot and dusty as if all Wyoming was like that. :mad

From what I have been reading here on routes, I know better already!

I so want to come despite the 1138 miles or so. I think that's 2 days of travel each way, and I have the 2 routes plotted together in Mapsource already with Meeker, CO as the end of the first day run!

If I have to come alone I will but'll be the longest trip I ever did R/T on a bike, including Dad's '68 R50/2 I drove as much as I could get away with, from when licensed in 1974 until 1990 (at my hands it was sudden death but I walked away).

Dad just asked me how I was, and how soon I was going to get another one, letting out a very anxious cackle of a laugh when I answered him I was fine, just hurting inside.

Note my address

I'm in Chicago and I suspect you'll be coming thru these parts, I'd be pleased to hook up with you and ride on. For that matter, you can crash at my place that evening, if it works for you.

We'll develop some alternate routes to 1-80. :brow

Another Chicagoan going to Gillette

I have been so excited about this trip, that I have been mapping my rides. I am digesting on few thoughts such as:

1. Leaving from Gurnee, IL I go to Savanna, travel the Mississippi, get on the I-90. Stay the night in Sioux Falls (after some 640 miles). Ride through Rapid City, visiting attractions and riding through some scenic routes and finally camping at Custer National Forest (after some 400 miles). Leaving for Gillette with a quick stop in Sundance.

2. Spend one full day riding the Bighorn and the Clouds Peak, camping at Clouds Peak.

3. Spend full day riding Chief Joseph and Beartooth, camping at Yellowstone.

4. Spend full day riding the Yellowstone, camping at Teton.

5. Riding Teton and visiting Idaho Falls and then heading East returning to Chicago either via Nebraska or South Dakota.

I've got some great sightseeing routes planned when going to Gillette. Hence, it'll take me 2 1/3 day to get to Gillette vs. 2 full days. From my place Gillette is some like 1,210 miles.

All these full day excursions may be too much, I don't know yet, but I'm sure it'll change when I get there. But I'd be planning all these in MapSource.

If anyone wants to tag along, you are most welcome. More the merrier! :dance

Here is my Route to Gillette from Mapsource plotting saved in Google Earth.

Attachments

• Gilette-Route-11-18-2007-for-web.jpg
    Gilette-Route-11-18-2007-for-web.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 147
MARS Awaits

I am headed from Pennsylvania to MARS, across Kansas to Colorado. I hope to attend the Horizons Unlimited event there then head north to Wyoming via the outlaws trail. :scratch

As the self-designated ambassador from MARS, Middle America Riders Society, I can assure you that you will be welcomed. All riders passing through this area at any time are invited to stop and relax. We have camping and, if its not taken, the treehouse available for overnight stays.

I hope many of you traveling from the East or Southeast take advantage of this opportunity to enjoy the hospitality of MARS and the Flint Hills area of Kansas. Come and see why "National Geographic Magazine" devoted 20 pages in one edition to the Flint Hills.

Tom

New here but I would love to hook up with a group coming out of Eastern PA. Or meet up with people on the way. I really would like to do the distance but not alone. A quick Map Quest from my zip 17112 says its 1700 or so. I figure 2 days each way, maybe more if needed. I feel confident I can do 850 for two long days out, just don't know about 2 coming back after riding out there.

Anyway would like to know soon to make arrangements for the rally and room.

TIA
Lee

Ohio member wants to join trip to Gillette

I'd like to join up on the ride to Wyoming, but I want to take the blue highways, and keep the day's ride to a max of about 450 miles. I:type :type :type ride a F650 GS and more than that is pretty uncomfortable. Detours for special rides would be ok. I figured Gillette is about 1,200 miles from Medina, Ohio, and would do the trip in 2 1/2 days. I'll be camping.

Back