• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big Agnes Sleeping Pad Question

BA here:)

I am big at 250 and 6'+ and BA is the only sleeping bag that fits big folks and I got the insulated long black air matress, that slips in place with the system. No cold gets in and I have room to move, flip in my bag:). No leaks after two years use, maybe 30+ sleeps! Air in and out of the matress is slow however, but a worthy system worth the effort, imo...They should put a high flow valve on these things, but a very minor complaint. Randy:thumb

And, since you are in London, you could pop into the MEC store in Toronto one day and compare all of the pads shown on the site. You can even try them out in the store fully inflated.
G

And today I was out by Pearson airport, just a short jog from Mtn Co-Op so I gave them a call. I had planned on picking one up while in the area. As luck would have it, they are out of the regular size and expect an order in a few days. I don't know when I'll be back to TO but I'll try again later this winter. Thank you for all of the replies.

Works well both ways. I just got an encampment and I didn't like how cramped I feel in most mummy style bags. There is no insulation on the bottom of the bag, that is why you need a pad. Because the pad slips inside the back of the bag you can't roll off it. Its easier to turn over cause of how its cut a bit bigger in the waist and you don't roll off the pad. I am 5.9 and 230. Looking foward to using it when it gets above freezing.

Side Sleeper here

So you guys who like them, do you sleep in a straight line, or curled on your side?

I am about 6'1" and 240. I am a side sleeper. Someone else asked which bag and pad. I have the Summit Park and the insulated air core pad. I have the long in both. I have the older black air core pad. I know they have a newer brown version now. Here are my original thoughts on them. However my only complaint with the summit park is this, the stitchign to hold the down runs side to side. Eventually during the night the down settles to the sides, so on a cold night I get chilly. I am talking about 20 degree nights. If there was some length-wise stiching in addition to the side to side it would probably work better. I have made my thoughts known to BA and they offered to sell me an overbag for those cold nights for a highly discounted price. The customer service is excellent.

Big Agnes YES !!!

First, the Big Agnes system is the best night's rest I've had in a tent in 40+ years of camping (well, except maybe those times when we used to pack in Coors quarts in our backpack, but that was so 70's :hungover ). I used a thermarest for several years... no comparison. THE BA STAYS UNDER YOU, no matter how you roll around. I am a side sleeper so I get pains in my hips and shoulders if the padding isn't deep enough so I use the rectangular Air Core (deep red) which is an inflatable, 2.5" thick with my Cross Mountain (40 degree rating). That is for summer camping which is all I do now, at least on the ground. I take a 10 degree down bag on winter ski trips but sleep in a cabin or yurt on a mattress. :thumb

I've contemplated getting the dual core (rated 0 degrees) if I needed that warmth but summer camping, even in Colo and Wyo is warm enough for the Cross Mtn and Air Core, for me anyway. Another thing BA is selling is a pad made with the "space age" foam like the TempurPedic beds. Haven't tried that. Get the size that fits the bag you choose. The guys at the outdoor store can help or the BA website is very informative and makes it easy to pick a pad.

At the Gillette rally I used the BA system with a newly acquired LuxuryLite cot (http://luxurylite.com/index.html) which was truly luxurious... overkill really, but as a side sleeper the LL Cot was worth the $200 I paid for it and in about 1-2 nights I paid for it compared to motel prices during the Rally.

Big Agnes Cross Mountain... $135
Big Agnes Air Core... $85
LuxuryLIte Cot... $200

Sleeping through the night in my tent with no sore spots or aches and pains... priceless !!! :dance

I have a BA insulated pad. No leaks, yes it's comfortable and packs small.
I've also been camping for the last 2 weeks sleeping on it in cold temps 19??-50??F and have been freezing my butt off. I have a nice down BA Storm King 0?? bag with a coolmax Outlast bag liner. I was never cold with my Thermarest Prolite 4.... but thought I'd try out the BA pad on this trip cause it came so recommended on ADV....

I just bought a Thermarest luxury camp pad at REI in Bend OR, preparing for some upcoming cold nights, and sent the BA home... Yes it's bigger, and heavier, but just as comfy as the BA, is self inflating and has double the RA warmth rating so I'll deal with it's extra 2 inches in diameter, at least for cold weather camping. It's not like we're humping these pads on our back...
I love BA stuff, I sleep in a BA tent and have 2 BA bags... the BA pad didn't work for me while doing winter camping. Obviously since I'm out riding and camping in January I'm not afraid of the cold, but rated for 15?? they say... NO way.... 45??F + and it's a good pad

My 2?ó

459056491_L4Hz3-XL.jpg

Back