• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 Gillette National - attending or not?

2008 Gillette National - Attending, not attending, not sure?

• Attending

Votes: 138 52.1%
  • Not Attending

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • Not sure yet.....

Votes: 63 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If any group is going from FL, GA or SC I will tag along. This will be my first BMW event. I will bring a big hat, alot of sunscreen and a positive attitude.

Or skip the flatlands and go to the Black Hills Stampede instead.

:jose

By the time you're to the Black Hills you're across the flatlands and a stone's throw from Gillette!

Two thumbs up for the Cyber Cafe volunteers! :thumb :thumb

I know for some staying connected is important, both personally and professionally, but the idea of a cyber Cafe at a rally still kinda cracks me up! For me riding and rallying is to GET AWAY from all that and connect one to one In Person and where Work CAN'T touch me!:D

Its like when I see people heading out the door of thier house on the cell or heading in, for that matter. (and yes I know more and more folks are dropping the landline and going "wireless" as their only phone) but I just can't help thinking is what they are talking about really THAT important that it can't wait a few minutes more?

Guess its the airhead mentality and the fact I'm "connected" all day at work and the last thing I want is to take work with me. Ha Ha!

RM

I know for some staying connected is important, both personally and professionally, but the idea of a cyber Cafe at a rally still kinda cracks me up! For me riding and rallying is to GET AWAY from all that and connect one to one In Person and where Work CAN'T touch me!:D

Its like when I see people heading out the door of thier house on the cell or heading in, for that matter. (and yes I know more and more folks are dropping the landline and going "wireless" as their only phone) but I just can't help thinking is what they are talking about really THAT important that it can't wait a few minutes more?

Guess its the airhead mentality and the fact I'm "connected" all day at work and the last thing I want is to take work with me. Ha Ha!

RM

For some of us, that connectivity allows to attend a rally, be on the road for a week or so and still make a living.

If you don't want to be bothered, all of those gizmos have an OFF switch. :D

For some of us, that connectivity allows to attend a rally, be on the road for a week or so and still make a living.

If you don't want to be bothered, all of those gizmos have an OFF switch. :D

As I said, I know for some it is critical, I just find a certain humorous side to it all, getting away without really getting away, just seems to hold a certain irony, that 's all, no offence or criticism meant, nor did I intend to hit a nerve but seems I may.

RM

You bet! Wouldn't miss it. Great riding all around that area and another chance to visit the new grandbaby in Boulder while I'm in the area. Now maybe I should visit the other son in Vancouver on the way there....

They are forecasting snow tonight, so it is time to get out the maps and plan all the possible routes I might take.

I will be volunteering as environmental steward, as well as in the charging station and cyber caf?® again.

Holly

:clap :clap :clap 3 claps and a snap for the charging station volunteers.

(let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement)

It's # 1 on my list to attend!

:nono It should be a rule to attend any MOA National that is within a days ride. It's only 6 hours or so for me. Wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm still kicking myself for not going to the National when it was held in Durango, CO in 1994?:banghead

Oh I guess I'll go

I will have to cross the cascade range and a few passes in the Rocky Mts but I suppose it will be worth it once I get to Gillette. :stick

( :clap )

Good point. I will suffer my way through all the nice backroads until the really bad riding in Custer, the Pigtails, the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, and then the Rally. Oh the unfairness of it all. :laugh

You plugging stuff in again?
I got some ideas how to make that process more smoooth.

volunteers that show up and work a full shift would be a good start :deal

what ideas...pm me some details

I'm bringing bike battery chargers and extension cords this year

:clap :clap :clap 3 claps and a snap for the charging station volunteers.

(let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement)

One thing we should get for you Hodag, is some USB chargers. More and more devices charge with a USB cable that is supposed to be attached to your PC. Hard to do on the road. I'm seeing some really inexpensive USB chargers that pull into an AC outlet. Perfect for the Charging Station.

Of Course

I'll be doing my usual thing in the Beer Garden, working so that all you beer drinkers will have a great time.:buds :D :D

Note the signature.

tb

Must go to Gillette...

I am absolutely making my way to Gillette next year. There are many reasons why I need to attend the rally.

1.) More states to add to the growing list visited by motorcycle.
2.) Interesting seminars and vendors.
3.) Comradarie. If for only this reason, it makes it worth my time to travel to an area deemed by some to be almost uninhabitable. My first rally in WI made such an impression that I can't see not making the trip. Besides, coming from Illinois, how flat can it be??
4.) Did I mention the beer tent? :bow

...check list: Out of Nova Scotia.... Portland, Maine; NYC; Nashville; New Orleans; Austin (me and the two step Queen...really); Santa Barbara (maybe); Las Vegas; Reno; Vancouver Island (Son's wedding); Calgary; Independence Pass; Yellowstone; kiss the ground of Our Saint of Crazy Woman Creek (the fuel savior); Gillette; Wisc; and, home. Lots of ground to cover but we'll be there grinnin'. Maybe this time we'll finally be able to work with the beer serving crew! -Bob

Last edited:
Based on this poll this will be the most attended MOA rally ever.

53% of the 38,000 membership will be over 20,000 attendees. Wow!

Or maybe on-line polls don't tell the real story??

Just wondering!

Or the smallest

Based on this poll this will be the most attended MOA rally ever.

53% of the 38,000 membership will be over 20,000 attendees. Wow!

Or maybe on-line polls don't tell the real story??

Just wondering!

Sure they tell the real story. 180 people have voted so far so there will be 95 attendees. :brad

Holly

Stat Observation and Question

... random sample from a select group within a greatly diversified population. Skewed data likely. Good discussion though. I wonder if those who do go (and ride there) may be of a more adventurous sort :scratch ...

Question: we will be travelling through Texas and Nevada about June 10. What sort of weather might we expect? Been there in July and August but not June. -Bob

Back