• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Go Pro cameras

flyrider

Morning Person
Anyone here with experience riding/filming with GoPro? What model...how did it work for you? Any tips?

Yep. I use the GoPro HD. I have virtually every accessory except the 3d unit. Don't need that. I mount the unit on my helmet, and on the bike. I also have the chesty, which fastens the camera around your body. I have the extra battery pack, the external video viewer and the new remote control. Have used the camera on bike trips and just got back from Florida where I played with it in the ocean.

I really recommend you get the remote control unit. Without it, when you put the camera on your helmet, or any other place, you cannot easily control the camera. And you do not know when it is recording and when it is not.

With the remote, which creates its own wifi network for the camera, you can turn the camera on and off, select whether you shoot stills, multiple shots or shoot video. It works really well. I will take some pics of my mounting of the remote if you like.

Let me know what questions you have and maybe I can answer them. It is a really great little camera.

GoPro Camera

+1. I have the original Hero and Hero 2 HD -- they are amazing and concur fully with the above comment regarding the need for the wireless device.

I will post a picture later of my unique GoPro mount. I get 'third person' perspective of me riding the bike and have a second camera which can go in several other locations. I don't really like the helmet mounted video, too much movement for me.

Here's the mount I made. It's pvc plumbing with aluminum stabilizers. The cameras are on a mount I bashed together from 2 rollbar mounts and a few bits from Home Depot. It is very stable, invisible to me when on the bike and captures great images. I am going to try to snip a single frame out of a video to show the perspective.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 880
I have the newest Hero2, with remote. What others said on the remote, makes it much easier to use, and less distracting, which can cause problems. Remote battery life is short, so I have it wired to charge on the bike, and mount it on the LH handlebar.

Also if riding with others, nothing is more annoying than constantly stopping to fiddle with the camera.

I use two mounts;

The camera works swell on my helmet and my second mount is my left saddlebag, which works neat too. Jesse bags and wide enough to get the camera out there in the flow. Friend has his mounted near his windscreen, off of GSA frame. Works nice. Mine is GSA1200 too. I am fairly new at GoPro but its coming along nicely. Hooks directly to HDTVs for real nice viewing at end of day. I NEED a better battery solution, as the one battery is not enough and goes quickly, needing charging too frequently. 2 hours max....It will shoot continuosly on hard wire to charging station, but I need to find a better cord than the stock 3"one. Expensive cameras, BUT VERY high quality shoots, video mostly for me. ITS easy to spend 500$+ on these just getting started, with all you want to add on. I love mine. Randy

My remote set up. I have it tethered to a 12v/usb charger. The only problem is when it is plugged in it turns on the camera and can't be shut off. I wrote GoPro about the fact that it cant be turned off while plugged in and they said they would pass the info to their engineers, so I am hoping for a firmware update.

Here is a recent ride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FRZ9cUMaDME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

.............I NEED a better battery solution, as the one battery is not enough and goes quickly, needing charging too frequently. 2 hours max....It will shoot continuosly on hard wire to charging station,............y

Here is the solution I have, batteries good quality and charger can be plugged into 115v at night, or charge them on the bike with the cigarette lighter adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-...&qid=1344017210&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+battery

Last edited:

I knew battery solutions existed and these are fine links:). I just bought a new 32GB card for 70$ at BestBuy. I see they are all over the board on price, depending on cards ability/quality. I might go for the remote next with battery options too. That should set me up totally GoPro user friendly:). Most will find the basic GoPro package is lacking much needed for extended use on trips, etc.. I just did 20+ episodes, riding to Mo. and back, using one battery system and filled a 16GB card, adding a 32GB(partial) coming home. Charging my battery was my biggest gripe and soon to be solved. Randy:thumb....BTW, my GoPro does not stay on and goes off as requested, plugged into charger. I DO HAVE another issue, as the card indicates FULL on screen, my camera goes dumb! It will not function through menu settings at all once FULL up on card. Remove card and install new card, alls fine. I tried HDTV link with FULL card and no go! Swapping cards worked/activated menu again. Randy

Yea Thats cool Tom. More than one camera. Next question guys. Has anyone with the new Hero HD2 tried a remote mic. I really want to be able to record some talk while I ride. Granted most times overdubbing would be best. I understand the HD2 has a plug for a remote mic.

I use a remote mic sometimes. I am not providing commentary though. I use it to get out of the wind noise. run the mic to the seam between the rear of the seat and the bodywork. Gets good engine and exhaust sounds without wind noise. I skeletonized one of the cases.

Yea Thats cool Tom. More than one camera. Next question guys. Has anyone with the new Hero HD2 tried a remote mic. I really want to be able to record some talk while I ride.

Drilling out the GoPro case and adding a mic cable is prolly what I'd do and take a tap to feed the mic input from the Autocom.

I like the idea of routing the mic away from the wind noise. I'm going to have to take a look at the housing for the new HD2. I'm betting that I will have to drill a hole for the mic wire.

I just removed my Autocom system as I had nothing but problems with it regarding phone conversations - which I have to do when I ride my bike to the office. I now have the Scala G9 which is working much better. That coupled with a new Schubert C3 helmet has cut the wind noise way down and people can actually understand me now.

Back