• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Gerbing Customer Support = Black Hole

Why did they bother with a wireless controller when the vest still needs "wired" power?

You can place the wireless controller wherever you want, making it easier to see and use.
I've been thinking of replacing our wired controllers with wireless.

My question exactly. The best answer I can come up with is that you can Velcro the controller wherever you like. I placed mine on the clutch reservoir. I puts the knobs closer to your hands, but can't say that my wired controller attached to my tank back was ever a problem for me.

...can't say that my wired controller attached to my tank back was ever a problem for me.

Mine is in the side pocket of my riding pants.

Once it is set for the ambient temperature, it stays set. I never have to fiddle with it, and if I do, I just turn the knob slightly through the material of my pants.

One really does not have to see it. Its not like you are setting it to a temperature...there is no feedback from the jacket...just your body telling you it is too hot or too cold.

Mine is in the side pocket of my riding pants.

Once it is set for the ambient temperature, it stays set. I never have to fiddle with it, and if I do, I just turn the knob slightly through the material of my pants.

One really does not have to see it. Its not like you are setting it to a temperature...there is no feedback from the jacket...just your body telling you it is too hot or too cold.

My wife made a holder for ours and we hang it on the side of our jacket. We do adjust ours up or down as needed during the day and with the bulky electric gloves it can be a little difficult at times to find the controller and feel the knob.
We have got by for 10 years with the wired controller, but if it was velcroed to the clutch reservoir cover or hung on my tank bag, it would be easier to use,

We have got by for 10 years with the wired controller, but if it was velcroed to the clutch reservoir cover or hung on my tank bag, it would be easier to use,

The wired controller can be placed anywhere, at least mine can.

My system uses SAE connectors both for charging the battery or plugging in my controller/heated gear. Due to its location (see pic), its an easy run to the pocket of my suit.

002%20-%20YUASA%20Battery%20Analyzer-L.jpg

No response for Gerbing

I'd heard that Gerbing had good customer service, so I'm especially surprised and frustrated with my current experience with them. I had a controller that died on me. I thought it might be under warranty, so I emailed them to inquire. No response. Emailed again and still no response. So I called them and after waiting on hold for quite a while, I spoke with someone who was helpful. She verified my controller was under warranty and gave me an RMA number. I mentioned the unanswered emails and she apologized and said they are busy. (Maybe less busy taking calls if they answered email?)

Anyway, I mailed the controller to Olympia the next day (from Seattle). That was over a month ago and I've heard nothing from them. I was really expecting them to drop a replacement unit in the mail to me right away, especially given that it's winter riding season. I've recently sent a couple more emails and even left voice messages to inquire about the status (all unanswered). This morning I tried calling again and have been listening to hold music for 25 min and getting ready to hang up.

Meanwhile - still unable to to ride to work on those chilly mornings. Any similar experiences or suggestions on how to get a response from them??

My wife ordered a jacket liner for me for Christmas back in early November. She has called them a couple of times with no answer or if answered a flippant response! She was told that she would get it by middle to late December 2012. Well it is mid-January 2013 and no emails to notify her of the status if they wait a couple of months I will just return it and buy a First Gear next winter!! Someone should point out to them that there are other providers of equipment. Should I be worried about their quality if this is the way they treat new customers?

Wirelsss controller? I may be a pessimist, but I see myself heading up into Independence Pass, fiddling with the wireless controller for some heat, only to find out that the batteries had died... from the cold! Hard-wired is simpler; simpler is better.

pete
An optimist sees a glass as half-full. A pessimist sees the glass as half-empty. An engineer sees a glass that is twice as big as it needs to be.

I had ordered a couple of accessories from them in last May and received a partial shipment very promptly. The last part of the order just came in a couple of days ago. Fortunately, I wasn't in a big hurry and it did include an apology for the delay and no additional shipping charges.

Wirelsss controller? I may be a pessimist, but I see myself heading up into Independence Pass, fiddling with the wireless controller for some heat, only to find out that the batteries had died... from the cold! Hard-wired is simpler; simpler is better.

pete
An optimist sees a glass as half-full. A pessimist sees the glass as half-empty. An engineer sees a glass that is twice as big as it needs to be.

Still missing your kick start?

Can you see being 1200 miles from home when your EWS ring goes out? I can.
How about 400 miles from home when your final drives fails? I can.
How about 80 mph on low fuel when your fuel strip goes out? I can.
How about the morning before a 4500 mile trip when your ignition switch fails and you have no way to turn off your bike? I can.

A wireless controller is the least of things to worry about.
Still love my R12RT though, but simplicity is not in the cards.

Last edited:
My wife ordered a jacket liner for me for Christmas back in early November. She has called them a couple of times with no answer or if answered a flippant response! She was told that she would get it by middle to late December 2012. Well it is mid-January 2013

They are advising contacting tom.nolan@gerbing.com or greg@gerbing.com for help with status of orders. If she would prefer, she can pm me an email address and order # or size, and we will look into it.

My wife ordered a jacket liner for me for Christmas back in early November. She has called them a couple of times with no answer or if answered a flippant response! She was told that she would get it by middle to late December 2012. Well it is mid-January 2013 and no emails to notify her of the status /QUOTE]

John

We have left messages on Facebook, as well as PM on this forum. We are unable to find an order for "Moore". Tom is unable to help if we don't have more info.

Thanks
Karol (Gerbings Hat)

Gerbings Customer Support

My wife ordered a jacket liner for me for Christmas back in early November. She has called them a couple of times with no answer or if answered a flippant response! She was told that she would get it by middle to late December 2012. Well it is mid-January 2013 and no emails to notify her of the status /QUOTE]

John

We have left messages on Facebook, as well as PM on this forum. We are unable to find an order for "Moore". Tom is unable to help if we don't have more info.

Thanks
Karol (Gerbings Hat)

An all new phone system has been implemented, and customer service staff has been added. If there are any questions regarding orders, or order status...please call 800-646-5916 or 866-371-4328.

Karol

An all new phone system has been implemented, and customer service staff has been added. If there are any questions regarding orders, or order status...please call 800-646-5916 or 866-371-4328.

Karol

I hope they have added a lot of phones and customer service people. Tom Nolan told me customer service recieves 700-800 calls per day. WOW

FYI Karol works for Gerbing in sales

Jack

Gerbing Customer Service

I called today to see about my size Medium vest that has been on back order since 8/29/12.
I did get right thru to a representative. They answered immediately.
They did still show my order as backordered.
She said a truck was coming in next week and again on Feb 1. They believe that a lot of the backorders will be in those shipments.
She suggested calling back late next week to check the status again.
Can't say I'm pleased it has taken more than 4 1/2 months for a vest that was ordered well before the "Season."
Can say the current Customer service setup is efficient so at least we can now find out something about the status.
Still waiting.

I personally have never had any issues with Gerbings and have been an evangelist for them pretty much since the company started. I still have and love their products. I have never had any of the problems I read about here - and elsewhere.

That said, I would have canceled that order long ago. 4 1/2 months is an unacceptable backorder time for heated gear - especially so when the order was placed during the height of the summer season.

Back