• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Food Vendors @ the 2011 Rally

I remember the BBQ guys at Johnson City - he MADE MY DAY
Did you have any of the free samples - to hook ya in before he opened !! :eat
PA. video from Sloppy Seconds on PA. was great - after growing up in Northern Jersey & going to most of these places - This yr. I'll be sharing this rally with my son.
Until then we'll have local rallies to do until July - see you all there

It concerned me that I understood almost all of the references in it. I've ridden past the majority of those places. They even flashed Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, which is one of my ride-to-eat places when I'm heading for the Elk Country.

You go up 322 to Penfield then back to Benezette? That's sorta lame, in my humble opinion. I would suggest a route up thru the Quehanna Wild Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quehanna) to Medix Run then down Rt120 to Lock Haven and I-80.

But, that is just my opinion.

Yellow food? If your shoo fly pies are yellow, it's no wonder that you don't like them.

Yep, MIL used make mincemeat pies, too. And we have pork roast with sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck. And then there's the hot lettuce recipe...

Shoo fly is brown, which is a shade of yellow.

That hot lettuce dressing recipe was originally served on young dandelion greens. Later, the more affluent devotees, started using it on endive. You really need something with a bit of bitterness to balance the sweetness of the dressing.

Did the MIL make steamed dumplings on top of the sauerkraut and pork loin?

Shoo fly is brown, which is a shade of yellow.

That hot lettuce dressing recipe was originally served on young dandelion greens. Later, the more affluent devotees, started using it on endive. You really need something with a bit of bitterness to balance the sweetness of the dressing.

Did the MIL make steamed dumplings on top of the sauerkraut and pork loin?

Shoo fly pie is the darkest yellow I ever saw.

The hot lettuce dressing works on any leafy greens, but it happens that my wife doesn't like most of the bitter greens, so when she makes it, it's with lettuce or spinach. I've made it with chard, but what do I know? I'm from a Jewish family in Los Angeles. That's where the borscht comes from. And pierogies and blintzes and chopped liver and... kishke. But that's for another time.

Real PA Pot pie? Crust baked on top or cut in strips and stewed with the meat and veggies? You pick the wrong one and we'll know you're a poser!

Cabbage rolls and Pierogi, that qualifies as ethnic food in PA Dutch country. Do you eat that with chopsticks?:)

Real pot pie does not have crust! Hubby is from western PA. I'm relativly new to the coal cracker food but have become quite the fan. Too tired after my outing to Target today to hit the grocery store but I'll be cooking tomorrow.

They even flashed Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, which is one of my ride-to-eat places when I'm heading for the Elk Country.

We were just talking about that earlier. I've seen it on the food network and the travel channel like 8 times this week. (nothing else to do but surf the tv while I'm recovering from some surgery.) I've been there and it's first on the list for a spring time overnight ride.

Shoo fly pie is the darkest yellow I ever saw.

The hot lettuce dressing works on any leafy greens, but it happens that my wife doesn't like most of the bitter greens, so when she makes it, it's with lettuce or spinach. I've made it with chard, but what do I know? I'm from a Jewish family in Los Angeles. That's where the borscht comes from. And pierogies and blintzes and chopped liver and... kishke. But that's for another time.

On your side of the family did you ever eat sulze or sous?

No, never heard of either, actually. Wikipedia says that S??lze is the German equivalent of head cheese... The closest we ever got something like that was homemade gefillte fish.

I did have one of those quintessential tourist experiences in L??beck, Germany, a number of years ago. Went into a local restaurant; the daily special on the blackboard was Sauerfleisch. I didn't know what it was, but I guessed it might be something like Sauerbraten, so I thought I'd try it. The waitress brought an empty plate to my table and a glass jar. It was filled with a cloudy substance and there was a dark gray object in the middle. It was cold. It turned out to be a cutlet preserved in aspic.

"It's good, though." --Utah Phillips

No, never heard of either, actually. Wikipedia says that S??lze is the German equivalent of head cheese... The closest we ever got something like that was homemade gefillte fish.

I did have one of those quintessential tourist experiences in L??beck, Germany, a number of years ago. Went into a local restaurant; the daily special on the blackboard was Sauerfleisch. I didn't know what it was, but I guessed it might be something like Sauerbraten, so I thought I'd try it. The waitress brought an empty plate to my table and a glass jar. It was filled with a cloudy substance and there was a dark gray object in the middle. It was cold. It turned out to be a cutlet preserved in aspic.

"It's good, though." --Utah Phillips

The Tor in Lubeck is really nice. I'll bet you ate at the Schiffergesellschaft with the ship model hanging from the ceiling? The iron curtain used to be just east of the city.

Sauerfleish is a beef variation on the theme of sous. The PA Ducth used to pickle and gel beef heart and tongue in that manner.

Ugh! My grandfather used to love souse. Just the look skived me. Jello is supposed to come in fruity flavors, with no animal parts of any kind!

The Tor in Lubeck is really nice. I'll bet you ate at the Schiffergesellschaft with the ship model hanging from the ceiling? The iron curtain used to be just east of the city.

Sauerfleish is a beef variation on the theme of sous. The PA Ducth used to pickle and gel beef heart and tongue in that manner.

The Basque restaurants out this way tend to have picked beef tongue, sliced thin. I've always liked it anyway, but pickled was a nice variant.

Luebeck is a beautiful town. The Tor used to be on some big D-mark note, I recall. (People here complain how PC things have gotten, but the Euro notes all have doorways and bridges depicted that don't actually exist, so no one will feel slighted or left out.) I should try to spend a couple days there and see it again. I recall the market square was quite pretty. But I have no idea what restaurant I went into, just that it was a short walk from the Gasthof I stayed at.

Ugh! My grandfather used to love souse. Just the look skived me. Jello is supposed to come in fruity flavors, with no animal parts of any kind!

Ahhhh.....the gelatin in Jello is collagen which is rendered from animal bones and skins. :stick

Back