• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Maps & Road Conditions

carockwell

Is there a single map source that lets me know the road surface? There are lots of roads marked on maps in the west where the roads could be paved, graded dirt, or 4WD.

In Texas, we have this book available, divided into grids, containing lots of details including road types. I'm not sure if this is available for California -- this one's on Amazon, linked below.

616DGTR6XRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Roads-Texas-M-University/dp/0940672642

Is there a single map source that lets me know the road surface? There are lots of roads marked on maps in the west where the roads could be paved, graded dirt, or 4WD.

I haven't found any, most use the same line weight/color for paved and good gravel roads.

I rarely go anywhere without my DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteers, my West Virginia one has road and destination notes going back almost 20 years. They are not small but they do fit perfectly in a K-bike side case. The DeLorme map books accurately depict the roads from super highway to single track by color and thickness and such, include topo details, sights, etc. I have not yet come across anyone, online or in print, that is more accurate or does a better job.

Quite simply, no-one does it better than DeLorme, don't leave home without them.

Up here, the road surfaces change year by year. I was amazed travelling South to NC at the wonderful surfaces when we got beyond Winter freezing.

We go nuts when we get new pavement on a twisty!

Current favourite is the Desert lake road North of Sydenham, Ontario.

Back