• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is Mexico Safe for Riders?

I been to Mexico on boats and planes, in cars and trucks, and not enough on motorcycles.
There are some real nice areas. A few bad ones, but that's mostly bigger town, inner city.
And a whole lot of nice scenery.
dc

It seems you answered your own question.

I don't know either but it probably depends on the rider and how much sense he has. I do say, I enjoyed your photos; they were very nicely done. Thanks for sharing them.

DW

Probably not a trip I will take? But, I very much appreciated you sharing your trip. Nicely done! Looked like a great adventure?
John

Really nice photos!
Been there done that. I know from much experience it's not easy to get "certain people" to allow pictures down there as a delicate thing with apparent concern on their part of being exploited,looked down on,etc. in some way. Roadside pics are tough too as the shoulders sre often non existent! I remember once trying for a pic with this middle aged guy driving a really cool ox cart with wooden wheels,sombrero, the whole bit but found no way to coax him toward a pic. Indigenous peoples are less likely to allow pics.
I'm going back this winter , so I'll throw it out here -PM me if interested?

Just viewed this piece after viewing your Alaska presentation -

The food looks a whole lot better down in Mexico!

Nicely done.

I've ridden into Mexico one time, back in 1989 when I was riding a Honda Shadow 800. Passing through Tijuana was uneventful but never safe, not even 20+ years ago. Definitely not now.

The Baja Peninsula was phenomenally beautiful and the main highway was all smooth blacktop. I was surprised by that. No issues on the trip but in today's world its all together a different animal. Millions of tourists flock there each year and as long as you limit yourself to the resorts and organized journeys by well-qualified guides, you're going to be ok, 99% of the time. A few tourists have ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and have either been kidnapped or worse. Traveling by Beemer leaves you somewhat vulnerable, so for me, I'd rather not take the risk. I saw a Discovery Channel documentary a couple of years ago where a guy was touring Mexico by motorcycle and ended up being kidnapped by rebels and held for months before he convinced them that he had terminal cancer and would die soon. Thinking he would be no use to them dead, his captors decided to let him go.

I still have a lifetime's worth of unseen road to cover in the US, so for me, a ride along the Pacific Coast looks identical (but not as desolate) to Mexico's Coast Highway (Tijuana to Rosarita and beyond) and its a whole lot safer.

If you go, I would go with a professional motorcycle touring company who knows where not to go...or someone you trust who has toured there by motorcycle before and has experience in that country. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone

I have spent 18 yrs as a tour guide in MX. I have seen many posts similar to yours. It is simply the best! The choice of music, outstanding! Thank You!

Frank 'Pancho" Cummings
McAllen, TX

+1, Gunny; Excelente, muchas gracias michaellmcc!

I've ridden into Mexico one time, back in 1989 when I was riding a Honda Shadow 800. Passing through Tijuana was uneventful but never safe, not even 20+ years ago. Definitely not now.

The Baja Peninsula was phenomenally beautiful and the main highway was all smooth blacktop. I was surprised by that. No issues on the trip but in today's world its all together a different animal. Millions of tourists flock there each year and as long as you limit yourself to the resorts and organized journeys by well-qualified guides, you're going to be ok, 99% of the time. A few tourists have ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and have either been kidnapped or worse. Traveling by Beemer leaves you somewhat vulnerable, so for me, I'd rather not take the risk. I saw a Discovery Channel documentary a couple of years ago where a guy was touring Mexico by motorcycle and ended up being kidnapped by rebels and held for months before he convinced them that he had terminal cancer and would die soon. Thinking he would be no use to them dead, his captors decided to let him go.

I still have a lifetime's worth of unseen road to cover in the US, so for me, a ride along the Pacific Coast looks identical (but not as desolate) to Mexico's Coast Highway (Tijuana to Rosarita and beyond) and its a whole lot safer.

If you go, I would go with a professional motorcycle touring company who knows where not to go...or someone you trust who has toured there by motorcycle before and has experience in that country. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone

You must be talking about Glen Heggstad, otherwise known as the Striking Viking. Other than the fact that the incident you describe happened in Columbia rather than Mexico, I think you'll find he kept up his world travels and would have a very different advice to you.

Go. Travel.

http://www.strikingviking.net/

Voni
sMiling

Not Glen, I am familiar with his story. The one I recall happened in Mexico. My point was that traveling there isn't without risk.

Sent from my iPhone

He posts over on ADV from time to time. In spite of his having moved from his home in Mexico(there were "safety issues" with living there-northern west coast) he still rides there for leisure. Last I read was a year or so back r.e., riding the spectacular mtn routes to the Pacific from inland areas in Oaxaca. They are indeed some of the best riding you will encounter!
I enjoyed the "vikings" 1st book about the kidnapping in Colombia but have seen comments that his 2nd book lacks something & was also used as a "political platform" that did detract the reader from the story of the ride.

Muchas gracias, Pancho!

I have spent 18 yrs as a tour guide in MX. I have seen many posts similar to yours. It is simply the best! The choice of music, outstanding! Thank You!

Frank 'Pancho" Cummings
McAllen, TX

Pancho,

Thanks very much for the compliment - means a lot coming from a Mexico rider like you.

I think it was 2006 - a friend and I rode our Ducatis to San Miguel with you, Big Jim, and a MotoDiscovery tour group. Fantastic trip and I really appreciated the riding lessons through the mountains!

Best regards,
Mike

The crime statistics do not show that Mexico is way more dangerous than the US. The media grossly exaggerates the crime in Mexico.
There are many areas right here in the USA where you don't want to go. Particularly at night.
And there are many vacation destinations with much higher crime rates than Mexico.
dc

I have thought about looking into one of those 'group rides that have experienced 'host's' Anyone ever done one? I thought it might be a nice winter break....if the the timing is right ? Not sure what they cost either ?

Back