• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Washing Textile Gear

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I though I'd pass this tip along since I've used this product at least twice in the past so many years.

Once a year, I give my Aerostich Roadcrafter II a thorough wash. I might as well since I can't ride during the winter months.

If your suit is black or grey, chances are you won't see what dirt is ground into the textile material, but mine is red and the dirt is visibly ground-in, in numerous areas.

Instead of using higher priced products like NikWax Tech-Wash, I've been using Shout Stain Remover. A large 946 ml squeeze bottle goes for $2.43 at Wal-Mart and will do a whole suit.

I don't use a washing machine because it tends to be a bit hard on the 3M reflective material and suit in general. I'll apply the Shout to the whole suit in sections and lightly brush it in. After an hour or more, I'll let it soak for at least two hours in a laundry tub of hot water with Tide (that by itself, never got my suit clean). After hand agitation in the laundy tub and many thorough rinsings, the spin cycle of the washing machine is used to semi-dry the suit before hanging it up to air dry.

I also noticed that the Shout was a lot gentler on colors than the laundry detergents I've used previously.

I've been using 3M Outdoor Scotchguard to waterproof my suits since 1992.

According to some sources (maybe some with vested interests), detergent should not be used on Gore-Tex fabrics unless they are very thoroughly rinsed. I believe that I read in the Aerostich catalog that the suit should be dryed in a dryer to "re-activate" the pores in the Gore-Tex material. In any case, my Aerostich keeps me dry in some pretty heavy downpours for a given time, beyond that, I'll use a rainsuit over it.

We have a front load washer, which tend to be more gentle than top load, so I have washed several jackets/pants in that with no issues. I agree that the "Shout" brand stain remover tends to get the grime out better than detergent alone, you just have to remember to get your own bottle, otherwise the SO wonders how it got used up so fast..............

A little more info, please...

John, what did you use when you washed your gear in the front loader? Detergent? Liquid or powder? What cycle?

Alex and John, do you always re-waterproof after a wash?

I've got a Belstaff Mercury whose time has come to be washed. I think it may have come with an packet of waterproofing stuff when I bought it, I just have to find it...and the washing directions. However, I'd much rather hear from folks that have already washed their gear multiple times.

We have a front load washer, which tend to be more gentle than top load.

Are our front load washers the same as those in Europe. Those tend to use very little water and rotate very slowly...first in one direction a few turns, and then the other direction a few turns...repeat. I've never seen any in action on this side of the pond.

You just have to remember to get your own bottle, otherwise the SO wonders how it got used up so fast..............

Good one! :laugh

At $2.43 a bottle, I picked up 4 the other day. I'm set for a few years.

Alex and John, do you always re-waterproof after a wash?

Everytime.

BTW, I will wash my Aerostich at least once a year. In the past I would have washed it as often as three or four times a year. Getting old I guess.

My first Aerostich which is now 16 years old but used for the first 13 years was always hand washed in a laundry tub and more often than my new Aerostich. As I mentioned, the detergents that I used (Sunlight, Tide) used to wash the color out far more than I noticed when using Shout.

One thing I haven't tried is just pouring a half bottle of Shout into the laundry tub directly and mixing it in with the water. But being more diluted, I don't think it would work as well.

Are our front load washers the same as those in Europe. Those tend to use very little water and rotate very slowly...first in one direction a few turns, and then the other direction a few turns...repeat. I've never seen any in action on this side of the pond.

I have a front loader, and that's exactly the way they work. Slow action, much less water.

I think I'm going to give it a try in the machine, use adequate amounts of Shout, hang dry, re-waterproof.

Now for the reat of the wash!

I see that you guys can wash your gear and your motorcycle with the greatest of care, but when it comes to washing clothes or cleaning around the house you don't have any idea how or when to do it. :scratch Is that another man thing!:banghead

Becky :dance

I see that you guys can wash your gear and your motorcycle with the greatest of care, but when it comes to washing clothes or cleaning around the house you don't have any idea how or when to do it. :scratch Is that another man thing!:banghead

That is good. :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

No, its not a man thing.

Is a "sunny out and ride" vs " stay in and clean up" thing. Decisions, decisions. My tool box is neat and tidy though.

You ought to see my lawn...just look at the The World's Fastest Indian and you'll have an idea.

Now, now, don't let your skirt get blown up in your face.

(Just kidding!)

I wash my share of clothes, usually when my closet is empty, and do my share of cleaning, usually because I can't find what I'm looking for because of all the dirt and clutter.:brad

Seriously, if my work clothes played as big of a role in my job as my riding clothes play in my riding, I'd probably be as concerned about regular laundry.

I'm a bachelor. If I don't do it, nobody will.

oxyclean2007.jpg

A few scoops of OxyClean + detergent gets my yellow roadcrafter lookin' like new, way better than detergent alone. Spray N Wash or other stain removers can be hard on the colors. I found the 3M ScotchGaurd would attract more dirt after application. I waterproof with Nikwax.

also work and clean the bikes!

I also clean the bikes (mind and my husband) after riding. We both work on the race bike and the old bikes. The newer ones are harder to work on and a lot of plastic to deal with. I also have a neat tool box if I can keep my husband away from it.

Becky

I've been riding for about 18 months now but I've been using Gore-Tex fabrics ever since they came out in the 1980's.

Gore-Tex won't work when dirty. It won't repel water and it won't breathe your body perspiration out, so you'll get wet from the outside and inside if you don't take care of it.

I use Nikwax on my Roadcrafter and it works perfectly. The suit is much softer/more pliable, it repels water better than when new, and it breathes much better than it did before.

Definitely use a front loading machine if you have one, can find a friend with one, or can use one at a laundromat. The front loader will be much easier on your suit, won't be overloaded by the suit, and will extract much more dirt and detergent residue than a top loader.

A fatal blow to Gore-Tex breathability is detergent residue. I run my suit through the wash once with conventional detergent to remove most dirt and oil. Then I run it through the wash twice more without detergent to remove all traces. Then I wash it using Nikwax and following the instructions on the bottle.

When I'm done, the suit looks as good as new and performs better than new.

...A fatal blow to Gore-Tex breathability is detergent residue. I run my suit through the wash once with conventional detergent to remove most dirt and oil. Then I run it through the wash twice more without detergent to remove all traces. Then I wash it using Nikwax and following the instructions on the bottle.

When I'm done, the suit looks as good as new and performs better than new.

:thumb Using liquid detergent is the worst for Gore Tex. Use a powdered detergent if at all possible. And several rinse cycles.

I remember the first time we washed my GT running outfit. Used liquid detergent, and no extra rinse cycles. First time I ran in the rain the suit was frothing up like an overloaded washing machine! Actually looked kinda funny.

Fabreze, anyone?

GlobalRider has me thinking about washing the Rallye 2 - it's about time. Thanks for the reminder.

Has anyone out there had any experience with Fabreze on motorcycle clothing? Good? Bad? Effective in cleaning, or not?

for any gore-tex type fabric ANY type of detergent powder or liquid will plug up those microscopic pores. us a non-detergent cleaner only! "Simple Green" works great. not too bad on the nose either.

I was wondering the same thing!

You guys just blew your cover!

:thumb Using liquid detergent is the worst for Gore Tex. Use a powdered detergent if at all possible. And several rinse cycles.

Well so far so good using both powdered detergent in the past and now using Shout these past two years.

As I mentioned, rinsing the suit several times is the key.

As for claims not to use this, not to use that...please show me some proof in the way of a bulletin and preferably not from a company with a vested interest like Nikwax. Yes, they make good stuff; I use their Map Proof and their Aqueous Wax on my Asolo hiking boots, but I draw the line on their Tech Wash and TX.Direct Wash In...just a bit too pricey for me, at least up here it is.

First time I ran in the rain the suit was frothing up like an overloaded washing machine! Actually looked kinda funny.

Rinse, rinse and rinse!

Gore-Tex won't work when dirty. It won't repel water and it won't breathe your body perspiration out, so you'll get wet from the outside and inside if you don't take care of it.

On the subject of Gore-Tex and similar products, my opinion is that it is over-rated. Still good to have, but over-rated.

Gore-Tex talks about the ability for body perspiration to make it through their membrane, yet keep water out. Well that works all very nice on artist's drawings, but how much water/body perspiration does it let through per unit area and at what relative humidity? If it is raining out full force with 100% humidity, I doubt very much of your body perspiration is going to go anywhere. Result: a damp suit...on the inside.

As for claims not to use this, not to use that...please show me some proof in the way of a bulletin and preferably not from a company with a vested interest like Nikwax. Yes, they make good stuff; I use their Map Proof and their Aqueous Wax on my Asolo hiking boots, but I draw the line on their Tech Wash and TX.Direct Wash In...just a bit too pricey for me, at least up here it is.
Rinse, rinse and rinse!

Cheapskate BMW owners crack me up. Will pay $25,000 for a new bike. Will pay $800 for a riding suit. Won't pay $8 for a bottle of detergent designed to wash and protect $800 riding suit. To each their own, but to ride a BMW but complain about a $8 bottle of detergent makes me laugh.

If $8 is too steep for you, better trade the BMW in on a Suzuki.

Back