• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Forum Blocked ?

I've found AVG to be one of the least effective anti virus programs I've used. It's worth what it cost ya!

MS Security Essentials is also free and a better alternative from the guys who wrote your OS. My opinion of course is worth the same as the software! :brow

You can download and install it from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

Uninstall AVG and any other anti virus SW first of course. Running both at the same time will cause problems with both of them.

I'm running Linux, so whatever the problem is, it's not effecting me. Linux cant 'catch' Windows based virii. However, at this point, I would be having some ugly workds with my hosting provider. This level of outage is rediculous

I'm running Linux, so whatever the problem is, it's not effecting me. Linux cant 'catch' Windows based virii. However, at this point, I would be having some ugly workds with my hosting provider. This level of outage is rediculous

Linus is not immune to viruses but they are much more rare. From what I understand there were some issues with some malicious links that got posted somehow but that coincided with the release of the new VBulletin web software they've been working on deploying for some time now. As you can see the "look and feel" is totally different today than it was last weekend. This is pretty slick.

Linus is not immune to viruses but they are much more rare. From what I understand there were some issues with some malicious links that got posted somehow but that coincided with the release of the new VBulletin web software they've been working on deploying for some time now. As you can see the "look and feel" is totally different today than it was last weekend. This is pretty slick.

The entire forum was reloaded with the latest vBulletin version. That should go a long way in preventing future infestations. :twirl

I am sure this has already been noted but the Flea Market is down.

Jack

Yes, and it won't come back on the web site proper until we cut over to the new web site in a few weeks. In the meanwhile there will be a temporary Flea Market implemented in the forum itself. It's a long story, but the short version is that the old Flea Market was tied to the old version of vBulletin.

That should go a long way in preventing future infestations.

Not likely. Until the MOA makes modifications to vBulletin you will continue to have problems. I can't tell you how many times I have had vBulletin and phpBB tell me that if I updated all my sites to the latest level, all my problems with dirtbags would go away. The fact is, that these guys (vBulletin and others) have no clue how to protect you, and nor do they care. You should count your luck stars that only MOA members can register. Otherwise, you would have to deal with tens of thousands of auto-bot registrations per day.

Can we get a HOME PAGE tab?

Next to What's New Forum (Home Page)

I can enter forums from browser, but the home page I am still getting virus notice and blocked.

Next to What's New Forum (Home Page)

I can enter forums from browser, but the home page I am still getting virus notice and blocked.
This is the new set-up. Try clearing your browser history- that should get rid of the virus notices as all is clean with the up-grade. OM

Is Greg talking about a new MOA website, and Omega Man talking about a new forum?
This is the new version of VB. It is a bit different than the older version, so some of the features have changed. Integration of the Flea Market will take some time but we are working on it. The home page is having work done also. The new VB that you see here was considerably more than the usual up-date. Thanks for your patience. OM

I think there's a bit of confusion. If you read the September ON, Vince mentioned that things were going to change. It was supposed to be September but things have been pushed back. The changes are a new website AND a new forum...all new software. That software will completely integrate the website and forum...the current arrangement is two separate enties with a bridge of some kind. The change is all still being worked out...some missing elements, testing, etc. Not sure just when it will show up.

The current forum needed an upgrade due to on-going virus and other issues. It's still VBulletin, but as you can see, a different look. Same stuff all except the Flea Market. How to incorporate the Flea Market is a tough one. It wasn't a VBulletin product. And with a new forum software coming with its own Flea Market capability, we hope to come up with an interim version to bridge the gap.

HTH...

Is Greg talking about a new MOA website, and Omega Man talking about a new forum?

To clarify, I was referring to the new (coming soon) MOA web site - not the forum. We have a whole new software backend administration system in our office which was implemented earlier this year. There will also be a new platform for our web site which will be better integrated into our backend database. There may be other changes as well, but the web site change is a given.

To clarify, I was referring to the new (coming soon) MOA web site - not the forum. We have a whole new software backend administration system in our office which was implemented earlier this year. There will also be a new platform for our web site which will be better integrated into our backend database. There may be other changes as well, but the web site change is a given.

Thanks.

Lee -

Thanks...there are several places to see how Classifieds might work. My main issue is and has been the merging of the forum area with buying/selling. We've been trying to keep a separation there, hence the Flea Market not being directly within the forum area.

We'll probably implement a temporary section for Flea Market, but another major hurdle is getting all of the content in the old Flea Market into the forum. They're two different databases and it's not easily transported or cut-n-pasted.

Another aspect is that the Flea Market is for members only and there's a lot of personal contact info there we don't want to make readily available. We can work around that, but something that has to be considered.

We're still trying to see how to do it.

Another aspect is that the Flea Market is for members only .

I like the idea of the Flea Market only being available for members, but I still see a lot of complaints of non member scammers having access. I don't know why, but we see very few problems with scammers on I-BMW.
MOA has a much larger Flea Market than the I-BMW Classifieds and maybe the scammers just try harder to break into the MOA Flea Market because of the larger volume.
When I buy or sell on the MOA, I go in with the thought that the buyer or seller is not a member.

I like the idea of the Flea Market only being available for members, but I still see a lot of complaints of non member scammers having access. I don't know why, but we see very few problems with scammers on I-BMW.
MOA has a much larger Flea Market than the I-BMW Classifieds and maybe the scammers just try harder to break into the MOA Flea Market because of the larger volume.
When I buy or sell on the MOA, I go in with the thought that the buyer or seller is not a member.

These are interesting comments. Where do you see a lot of complaints about Flea Market scammers? I've never seen any so I'm curious.

I've bought stuff on the Flea Market with a lot of confidence due to the fact that I would be very surprised to see MOA members taking advantage of other MOA members. There's a lot of us but not enough that word would get around quickly and it doesn't so I assume the best. So far I've had nothing but great experiences on our Flea Market once I've decided the price is right.

These are interesting comments. Where do you see a lot of complaints about Flea Market scammers? I've never seen any so I'm curious.

I've bought stuff on the Flea Market with a lot of confidence due to the fact that I would be very surprised to see MOA members taking advantage of other MOA members. There's a lot of us but not enough that word would get around quickly and it doesn't so I assume the best. So far I've had nothing but great experiences on our Flea Market once I've decided the price is right.

It's not MOA members. I've seen posts where someone places a want to buy ad and non members who are scammers reply.

Back