• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Highway 50 - Nevada - The Loneliest Road in America

Rt 21

Done that ride both directions several times. I enjoy the ride, it's desolate, but beautiful in it's own special way. If heading East and you want to ride a really desolate road, try Baker, NV to Milford, UT. A 90 mile stretch of road with nothing! Just watch out for cattle or sheep - it's free range country. I rode Rt 21 last April, and at one point was navigating through hundreds of sheep in the road! Dumb critters!

Rt 21 is way more desolate than 50 and there is a great place for malts and milkshakes in Milford.

Yes, I have been out there.
Last Wednesday I rode from Beatty to Tonopah and then on 6 to Ely.
That some say, is more lonely.
There was one cow (or bull?) meandering across the road as I approached, just east of Tonopah. He was headed for a rocket on a pole, a display item for the range (for missiles, I guess). The rocket like a display or indicator for the dirt road south from there.
Why he had an interest in the rocket, I have no idea, but he (she?) was on a straight line across the road for it.
dc

There was one cow (or bull?)

I'm guessing you're from the city, not the country, eh?

BTW, this sort of traffic obstruction is pretty common in rural areas; I've been caught in them in so many spots (Wyoming, Montana, both Dakotas, Nebraska, etc.) I can't recall them all.

I'm guessing you're from the city, not the country, eh?

BTW, this sort of traffic obstruction is pretty common in rural areas; I've been caught in them in so many spots (Wyoming, Montana, both Dakotas, Nebraska, etc.) I can't recall them all.

When you're from the big town (I am) I find critters crittering along highways and by-ways to be pretty interesting and amazing. I'm far more used to cab's trying to run you down. And, on top of it those critters help me to meet my fears. Because you see although I may not fear riding around hundreds and hundreds of cars during rush hour I am a bit afraid to stand next to a cow. They're just so darn big and they could hurt me!! :wave

I've lived in cities. But I have been on, I have visited farms.
I was just concerned about seeing a beef like that maybe 50 to 100 miles from anything like a farmhouse.
And concerned about avoiding the direct collision route we were on, rather than inspecting his/her personal characteristics.
I was also distracted from any inspection of the bovine, or bovine of the female persuasion, by the rocket located on the other side of the road.
But I promise you, just for you, next time I will stop and make a close inspection, so that I might report.
dc

Just be careful if you traverse these lonely Nevada highways at night. At sometimes of the year those cows on the open range will flock to the highways seeking the warmth of the blacktop.

Been there, seen that! (Originally from Fallon, NV and have personal knowledge of this...lol)

Cheers!

Back